Author Topic: Interesting Photo  (Read 118186 times)

Offline happylanding

• Alpha Rooster
Re: Interesting Photo
« Reply #225 on: July 18, 2006, 03:20:58 PM »
Reminds me of the true incident that happened when the Russians were starting their own windshield strength tests.  Time after time that they tried this, using turkeys, they would smash through the glass without a problem!  Even the windows manufactured by suppliers that were certified and strength rate approved had the same result!

Finally, the Russians called up NASA to ask again about the test parameters.... when asked to detail out what they were doing, the NASA guys realized what was wrong.

The response given to the Russians.....  "Thaw the turkey first!"   ::) :o ;D

Oh boy! they were throwing frozen turkeys against the windshields?!?  ;D ;D ;D Well, the idea of not thawing them could be explained by the fact that Russia is a quite cold place and if they ever found one in flight, it could have been suffering the same "state"!!
I give that landing a 9 . . . on the Richter scale.

Offline Ted_Stryker

• Chicken Farmer
  • Rooster
  • Never Forget 9/11/2001
    • Cyber Forensics
« Reply #226 on: July 18, 2006, 03:26:49 PM »
Reminds me of the true incident that happened when the Russians were starting their own windshield strength tests.  Time after time that they tried this, using turkeys, they would smash through the glass without a problem!  Even the windows manufactured by suppliers that were certified and strength rate approved had the same result!

Finally, the Russians called up NASA to ask again about the test parameters.... when asked to detail out what they were doing, the NASA guys realized what was wrong.

Oh boy! they were throwing frozen turkeys against the windshields?!?  ;D ;D ;D Well, the idea of not thawing them could be explained by the fact that Russia is a quite cold place and if they ever found one in flight, it could have been suffering the same "state"!!

;D ;D ;D  True indeed!!!   ;D ;D ;D
We're going to have to come in pretty low!  It's just one of those things you have to do... when you land!  -- Ted Striker - Airplane!

Offline Gulfstream Driver

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #227 on: July 19, 2006, 03:20:08 AM »
Happy, manufacturers are required to chuck chickens at windshields and engines.  It's pretty cool to watch.   :)
Behind every great man, there is a woman rolling her eyes.  --Bruce Almighty

Offline Ted_Stryker

• Chicken Farmer
  • Rooster
  • Never Forget 9/11/2001
    • Cyber Forensics
« Reply #228 on: July 19, 2006, 02:37:24 PM »
I guess we should mention that the way they do that "chicken" (or in the case of the Russians... turkey) test is by using a specially constructed "gun", which is basically a compressed air cannon, that fires the "projectile" against a surface.

While the Russians did contact NASA for help, the gun is actually operated by the FAA and the U.S. Air Force.  It accurrately simulates a bird strike into an aircraft or other test object at flight velocities.  The rumor has it that the frozen chicken, or frozen turkey story is a myth.... but I've heard there is truth to it.  It was, more accurate to say the turkey's had not been fully thawed out, so they still had a hard core that penetrated.  It kind of takes the humor out of the story... but, at least according to an engineer here where I work, it is a true story.  Various accounts of this have floated around the internet... including several versions that said it was BAC, British Rail, Australian government, Japanese government, and others credited with this. 

The nicknames for this "gun" are, "chicken gun", "turkey gun", and "rooster booster".  It can drive a projectile fowl at around 900 miles per hour!

You should see what this thing does to a car!  I saw a video of it once.... you wouldn't want to be in the car!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2006, 02:41:00 PM by Ted_Stryker »
We're going to have to come in pretty low!  It's just one of those things you have to do... when you land!  -- Ted Striker - Airplane!

Offline happylanding

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #229 on: July 19, 2006, 04:32:22 PM »
Mates, that's incredible! I was looking for  a movie (but haven't found one it, about it) and run into the complete (who knows?) story!

http://members.tripod.com/~earthdude1/roosterbooster/roosterbooster.html

It's amazing. We have to thank Chickens if our planes are well! :) :) :)

fireflyr

« Reply #230 on: July 20, 2006, 12:55:41 PM »

HAHA  ROFL ;D
Ted, are you serious?   They were really using FROZEN turkeys?    TOO MUCH!!! :D :D

Offline Ted_Stryker

• Chicken Farmer
  • Rooster
  • Never Forget 9/11/2001
    • Cyber Forensics
« Reply #231 on: July 21, 2006, 03:07:24 PM »

HAHA  ROFL ;D
Ted, are you serious?   They were really using FROZEN turkeys?    TOO MUCH!!! :D :D

At least if I was given the straight scoop on this, which I have no reason to doubt, such was the case!  The guy that told me this was a producibility engineer for McDonnell Douglas (now part of Boeing).

Right before the power went out in my house (along with 490,000 other people due to the severe storm that swept through St. Louis, Missouri on Wednesday), I saw on my TiVo an episode of "Wings To Adventure" (one of the programs on the Outdoor Channel) was covering the "Chicken Gun"!  I didn't get to watch it before everything went dark.  Power is still off at home, and they are estimating between 3 and six days to restore everything.  As I write this, from my work PC, the power has been out for 2.5 days... ugh.  It wouldn't be so bad if the temperature here wasn't running in the 100 degree plus range (Farenheit naturally).

Hopefully I'll get to watch that episode soon and see what it's got on it.  Should be interesting to see again :)

If you are lucky enough to get this on your cable or satellite service, the program is always fun and interesting!

Here is a link to the show's website  :)

http://www.wingstoadventure.com/

Offline Callisto

• Cockerel
« Reply #232 on: July 21, 2006, 06:13:58 PM »
Ugh is right!!! No power for 3-6 days? AND 100+ temps? So much for that ice cream in the freezer!  ;D

MythBusters on the Discovery Channel has done a few episodes on a Chicken Gun. They built a pneumatic cannon and fired chickens to see if thawed birds or frozen birds would break through a windshield.
They fired both thawed and frozen at old single engine windshields (both took out the entire front glass)... until they realized that they were not rated for bird strikes. So they used other methods of finding out what bird would go through a window.

Bottom line... frozen birds pack one hell of a punch. So this story is plausible... but I would hate to think that the engineers designing windshields of planes not realizing to thaw the chicken first.  ???  ::)
If not completely satisfied with this post, return unused portion for full refund.

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #233 on: July 21, 2006, 11:17:58 PM »
Happy, manufacturers are required to chuck chickens at windshields and engines.  It's pretty cool to watch.   :)

to "chuck chickens" . . . . .  heh heh . . .  that's funny!

;D  ;D
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

Offline happylanding

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #234 on: July 22, 2006, 10:31:41 AM »
Right before the power went out in my house (along with 490,000 other people due to the severe storm that swept through St. Louis, Missouri on Wednesday)... Power is still off at home, and they are estimating between 3 and six days to restore everything. It wouldn't be so bad if the temperature here wasn't running in the 100 degree plus range (Farenheit naturally).

Oh my God! I do not really envy you! that's - by large - the hottest summer I remember in yrs and given the temp you say there is in Missouri, it's hot there too (or better: it's hotter than here)! We do not have air conditioning at home (It's unusual in Switzerland to build a home with it, just offices and banks and some shops usually have it) but I could not think about living without at least a fan and ice. I sometimes spend sometime into the wine cellar, to try to feel better :)

Offline happylanding

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #235 on: July 22, 2006, 12:44:42 PM »
I run into an old animated movie there was when I was a toddler, and it made me remember of Mike's work.
Here you are...
Mike, is that you?!?  ;) :D ;)

Offline chuckar101

• Rooster
« Reply #236 on: July 24, 2006, 12:15:16 AM »
I agree with happy that does look a lot like you Mike. 
WOW I did that!

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #237 on: July 24, 2006, 01:08:34 AM »
OH MY GOD !!!

IT's "GRISU" the little dragon!!

This should be my avatar  ;)

I loved that show when I was little. In German he says "Ich werde Feuerwehrmann, ich werde Feuerwehrman!"
("I'm gonna be a fireman....)

Did you have this show in Switzerland Happy???
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

Offline happylanding

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #238 on: July 24, 2006, 07:17:55 AM »
Did you have this show in Switzerland Happy???

Mike, we had it, but I can't really say I remember a lot about it, but the fact that my brother and I named the cat Grisł after the dragon, so I've to suppose we were fond of it, and - as you - I remembered what he used to say at the end of every episode. I think I was around 5 maximum, when I last watched it, then I presume it was not aired anymore :( But on the net I discovered that it was an Italian production. It's a strange sensation when I run into something that was last seen 20 or something years before, don't you think? it makes one feel.........getting older?!?  ??? ??? HAAAAA! :) :) :) :)

Offline Ted_Stryker

• Chicken Farmer
  • Rooster
  • Never Forget 9/11/2001
    • Cyber Forensics
« Reply #239 on: July 24, 2006, 04:57:02 PM »
Just wanted to let everyone know that the power in my home finally came back last night!  It's sooooooo nice having air conditioning, lights, television, and the Internet and computer back up and operating!

No sooner had I done my last post on here (using my PC from work), when power went out at work too!! 

This has been the worst power outage in the history of this city!  The first wave of heavy storms took out 490,000 homes and businesses in the St. Louis area.  That was Wednesday night here. Some people got their power back Thursday night, taking the number of people out of power down to 380,000 by Friday morning (I wasn't lucky enough to have been among those restored yet).  My workplace, which had been out of power on Thursday, had it restored for Friday morning.  Well, Murphy's Law prevails, and while I was at work on Friday, the second wave of storms hit, and knocked out power to a grand total of 587,000 homes and businesses!  So, those that got their power back for a short while, got knocked out again in many cases, and yet more were taken out! 

As I write this from home, there are still 180,000 people without power, and they predict they should all be restored in another day or two if all goes well.

I don't know how much was lost in the way of business with everyone out, but it is surely significant!

On a human toll, we had three people dead, one from electric shock with coming into contact with a live line during debris cleanup, and two from heat causes.  We had 30 people injured during a baseball game at Bush Stadium here when windows were popped out of the media booth during the Wednesday night storm.  Apparently they didn't hold up to the 92 MPH straight-line winds!

We had lightposts and utility poles ripped right out of the ground, all around the downtown area, uprooted and broken trees up to three feet in diameter also were taken out by these storms!  Two buildings downtown collapsed, and one had a wall on one side collapse, throwing bricks in piles up to two feet high on a nearby bridge, shutting it down.  Three eighteen-wheeler trucks were overturned on one bridge, and two on another.  At the main airport here, St. Louis International Airport (aka Lambert Field... where Charles Lindbergh first took off with the Ryan NYP to ferry it to New York before starting his trans-Atlantic flight), part of the roof of the East Terminal ended up on the highway running in front of the airport terminal!

Never underestimate the power of mother nature!  Even without a tornado/cyclone, hurricane, waterspout, flood, earthquake, or other form of heavy-duty event, thunderstorms are capable of much destruction unto themselves.

Glad to be back on here finally!  :)  Thanks to all those who sent messages of empathy and concern!  I greatly appreciate it :)

Also... on the Chicken Gun/Rooster Booster....  I think the situation was that they may not have let the chickens fully thaw.  Not that they didn't let them thaw at all.  Naturally in any controlled test, you want reproducability, so they were following a routine process, thawing the chicken out for x amount of time, etc.   My understanding is that they underestimated how long it can take for the core of a solidly frozen chicken to fully thaw, so it ended up having that end result.  I guess they would have benefited by having an engineer or two that also had experience in the kitchen.... but alas.... that's pretty rare!  I know I can microwave something... but that's about it for me!  ;D |:)\