Author Topic: Interesting Photo  (Read 118201 times)

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
Re: Interesting Photo
« Reply #165 on: May 04, 2006, 02:12:26 PM »
Oh come on, you sound like.... me actually. You know a lot of things, and you cought up again since I didn't know the miliary version was called 550/555 and not 350/355 so you redeemed yourself  |:)\

Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline happylanding

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #166 on: May 28, 2006, 09:37:12 AM »
Isn't the really first picture posted a picture taken from the movie Warlord?
I give that landing a 9 . . . on the Richter scale.

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #167 on: May 28, 2006, 12:12:48 PM »
I think it was replied somewhere in the thread that it was indeed from a movie, but I can't remember which one, or on what page the post it.

Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Roland

• Cockerel
« Reply #168 on: May 29, 2006, 09:44:46 AM »
Who knows the Sikorsky S-76 with a fan-tail?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2006, 09:46:36 AM by Roland »
If helicopter flying would be difficult, engineers would do it.

Offline madpilot44

• Cockerel
« Reply #169 on: May 30, 2006, 04:02:21 PM »
hey, wasn't that part of a project called the eagle? (a military version of the S-76 as I recall)...
To most people, the sky is the limit. To those who love aviation, the sky is home.

Offline Roland

• Cockerel
« Reply #170 on: May 30, 2006, 05:55:23 PM »
Nope, not that project. Try again. It is (was) an army project, a big one. ;)

Offline chuckar101

• Rooster
« Reply #171 on: May 31, 2006, 01:09:12 AM »
I'm probably way off, but didn't they convert some of those to test the effects of a fantail for the Comanche?  (before it was cancelled of course)
WOW I did that!

Offline madpilot44

• Cockerel
« Reply #172 on: May 31, 2006, 03:24:14 AM »
yeah, you're right chuckar  |:)\ (and a BIG Duh! for me...) the tail looks just like comanche's. besides, the eagle had a conventional tail rotor. that version, if my research is right, was trying the tail rotor for the LHX program (later Comanche). another thing sikorsky tried with the s-76 was the cockpit instrumentation layout for the same program. quoting:

The purpose was to study the MANPRINT or human engineering interface between the pilot and the cockpit controls and displays. The cockpit was the prototype of a single-pilot cockpit designed for use on the prototype RAH-66 Comanche armed reconnaissance helicopter. The cockpit was designed so sensors would feed data to the pilot through helmet mounted displays. The MANPRINT study determined that single-pilot operation of the Comanche was unsafe, and would result in pilot overload. As result of this study, the Comanche was designed to be operated by a crew of two.
To most people, the sky is the limit. To those who love aviation, the sky is home.

Offline chuckar101

• Rooster
« Reply #173 on: May 31, 2006, 03:50:26 AM »
Cool  Thanks for the info MadPilot
WOW I did that!

Offline Roland

• Cockerel
« Reply #174 on: May 31, 2006, 06:00:52 AM »
100% for chuckar101! |:)\

Jepp, that was the test bed of the fenestron-system for the Comanche project. Well done: you can cut out the pictures and keep them in your lesson book … ;D
« Last Edit: May 31, 2006, 01:16:26 PM by Roland »

Offline Roland

• Cockerel
« Reply #175 on: May 31, 2006, 01:18:40 PM »
What about hot refuelling? Ever done that?

fireflyr

« Reply #176 on: May 31, 2006, 09:50:06 PM »
"Hot refueling"

See, this picture points out why I consider sling-wing pilots irrational---they're hovering over a helipad---why don't they just land the damn thing, get out and take a leak while the guys are gassing the bird?    Helicopter pilots, HMMMMPH!  :-\

Offline Roland

• Cockerel
« Reply #177 on: June 01, 2006, 05:38:48 AM »
"Hot refueling"

See, this picture points out why I consider sling-wing pilots irrational---they're hovering over a helipad---why don't they just land the damn thing, get out and take a leak while the guys are gassing the bird?    Helicopter pilots, HMMMMPH!  :-\

Most probably they are on a rescue mission. The look for a pilot swimming in the water, next to his fixed wing plane ;)

fireflyr

« Reply #178 on: June 01, 2006, 09:06:42 PM »
"Hot refueling"

Most probably they are on a rescue mission. The look for a pilot swimming in the water, next to his fixed wing plane ;)

AARRGGHH!!!   Roland, you are really hot with the zingers----that's OK, my time will come and PAYBACK is a B##CH!!!   I'm gonna be watching you! VEEEERY CAREFULLY!  ;)

Offline Roland

• Cockerel
« Reply #179 on: June 02, 2006, 06:55:49 PM »
Well, you know, we rotorheads have to respond quickly.  ::)