Author Topic: Interesting Photo  (Read 118165 times)

mmniemi

Re: Interesting Photo
« Reply #150 on: April 27, 2006, 09:19:02 AM »
@ mmniemi:

Thanks for the detailed information. Sounds like a situation where in normal one does not whish to have a person around taking pictures… ::)

Ah, If that's the case, then I might not want to show the photos on public. After all the guy outside is recognizeable on the other photos, as well as the guy inside is recognizeable on one photo...

On the other photo you mentioned, is there to be seen if the nose gear is not locked properly? I would like to know if my other theory is right or not. Just in case… To me it seems to be a maintenance check flight with the engineer on the right seat to check if the landing gear operates the way it should. Could that be? Or am I too far out? And then again: is it important? Who am I? Where do I come from? Where do I go to? … :-[
(Aah PLEEEEASE show the other pictures, I NEEED to know. I’m a freak, I admit) :P

Hard to tell about the nose gear as I'm not an expert with helicopters. It looks the same to me on the other photos though... But I don't believe it is a maintainance check flight as like I said on the original photo quote, the plane was transporting some celebrities between rally special stages. It first landed on that field and let the celebrities out watching the rally few hundred meters away. After the people were gone, the pilots did that "checking and/or parking episode" and after it shut down the copter and went to see the rally themselves too...

Offline Roland

• Cockerel
« Reply #151 on: April 27, 2006, 09:40:29 AM »
Copied that, thanks a lot.  |:)\
(And I have calmed down again!)  ;D
If helicopter flying would be difficult, engineers would do it.

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #152 on: April 27, 2006, 10:45:20 AM »
Actually I thought I only saw a person on the left seat but I've been mistaken before so I took it easy, also since it's just casual flight talk and not something that's supposed to be a heated argument, I just thought it looked interesting and the text made it more interesting still.
Thanks for the information Roland and mmniemi  :)

Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #153 on: April 29, 2006, 06:29:48 PM »
Looked at some old slides my dad took, I can't scan them in atm so I had to photograph them from the projector on my white wallpaper but I hope they are recognizable.

First off, the only picture of me and a helicopter I know of, although it's quite old. That badge on my T-shirt is a squadron-pin from the RDAF btw.
No idea what the helicopter is, any ideas? It was taken at the now closed airforce base northwest of Copenhagen in 1989 I think and it's probably from the RAF.

The second picture is something you just can't get anymore due to safety I think.

The third one is just a display of great timing and precision flight (they didn't crash)!

Btw the pictures are cropped and the overhead picture has been modified in light since my camera had some problems getting the same light and contrast as my eyes could, and I did use night mode.
Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Gulfstream Driver

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #154 on: April 30, 2006, 05:27:53 AM »
Chopper looks like a Chinook, but I could be wrong.  Nice pics.
Behind every great man, there is a woman rolling her eyes.  --Bruce Almighty

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #155 on: May 01, 2006, 09:07:34 PM »
Thanks for the info, while there aren't that many tandem-rotor birds out there then I still wanted a hint on what it could be since it was interesting. There was a hovering harrier too but it seems we didn't get a picture of it. I remember my stomach was shaking even though that too was back there over the runway like the helicopter!

Nice the pics were ok, I wasn't sure if they qualified for the thread but I guess I wanted to post something that was aviation related that I'd been too, not out of peer-pressure but out of personal desire after seeing from this forum that there are nice places to be in the world, namely enjoying aviation around you guys and gals  |:)\

Frank
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Roland

• Cockerel
« Reply #156 on: May 02, 2006, 07:37:57 AM »
@ Frank:

The helo in the back ground is a Boeing CH46 Sea Knight. It is the workhorse of the US Navy and smaller than a Chinook. You can easily recognise this type by its single nose landing gear. The Canadian forces use it widely as a SAR aircraft. Never seen one in real, whish to see one, have a nice book with beautiful pictures of this helicopter, must be magic.

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #157 on: May 02, 2006, 11:05:52 AM »
Ah, I didn't really remember much about those tandems so I didn't remember that but now I googled I can see the difference, thanks. You wouldn't happend to be able to tell where it's from (country) would you? I thought it could be UK since it's close but maybe it was from a US base in Germany? I know Sweden has tandem-rotor helicopters for rescue but those are small ones from what I know.

Frank
« Last Edit: May 02, 2006, 11:08:03 AM by Frank N. O. »
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Roland

• Cockerel
« Reply #158 on: May 02, 2006, 01:59:53 PM »
@ Frank:

To my knowledge the UK did not use this helicopter. Again, European ships and Frigates are smaller then the US. The Royal navy uses Sea Kings, Westland Wasp and the Lynx. But no Sea Knights.

It is hard to tell from your picture but I think this one is from the USA. Marine Corps or the Navy. Must be an older paint scheme, now they are painted different. You will know the year the picture was taken and then you can conclude to the paint scheme at this time. If Sweden uses (used) Sea Knights I have no idea but I know they have Chinooks.

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #159 on: May 02, 2006, 02:42:47 PM »
You really know your twirlybirds don't you?  8) |:) The picture was taken around 1989 (I know since we didn't get our Fiesta Diesel until then and I know from another picture that we drove there in it, and since I started getting chubby in my early teens and I'm from 78 then it has to be around 89-91). the airbase is now long closed and since it was so long ago I'm not sure any place has any info on when the show was but maybe the Red Arrows has a site listing their shows and I can get it from there.

Do you happend to know if there are any Gazelles or AS350s in DK? I've seen Sea Kings, JetRangers and Hughes 500s often and a Lynx once in a while but I don't believe I've seen a Gazelle or AStar yet.

Frank
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Roland

• Cockerel
« Reply #160 on: May 02, 2006, 05:01:57 PM »
This is just guessing, Frank, but I’m almost sure there is/was NO Gazelle in DK. They where widely used in the UK Army and the French Army. A-Stars should be in DK they are everywhere. But, again, I guess there are no military AS 365 Fenneks in use in DK. For closer information check out the home page of the aviation authority in DK, they should have an aircraft registration list there. With this list you see all types of aircraft registered in DK. You can also try to get this little booklet from “Rotor & Wing”, a monthly circular from the US, in which you can find the whole fleet of the world. I don’t have one any more I would have sent it to you. Maybe Mike has it.

The time of the Gazelle is over by now. You can buy a surplus. They are replaced by Lynx (UK) or Fennek (France). DK is part of the NATO so I suppose one can see a lot of interesting aircrafts there. And on air-shows it depend who is invited to come ...

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #161 on: May 03, 2006, 12:30:24 AM »
There are a few danish internet sites listing aircraft registered in DK but no Gazelles were listed or AStars. It also doesn't look like Denmark have AS365 Fennec's however according to a danish site we do have AS350 Fennec's http://www.danskpanser.dk/Panser/fennec.htm
I think they are replacements for old Hughes 500 Defenders we had earlier. I also read on a news site archive that the danish police have actually had help from them for a carchase which was news to me since normally they are just used rarely and only for manually checking speed on freeways using painted tags on the road and a stopwatch, but as I said that information I have  is really old so it might have been changed long ago.

Frank
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Roland

• Cockerel
« Reply #162 on: May 03, 2006, 06:33:46 AM »
Gosh, that’s a Fennek. A real one. Impressive! There you have you’re AStar. An AStar is an AS 350 Ecureuil (civil) or Fennek (military). AStar is more likely the definition for the US market.

Denmark does not have AS 365 Dauphins/Panthers. I would know, I promise. But there is the Merlin, too. A very, very impressive helicopter. I had the opportunity to see them closer at the Agusta assembly line. Just breathtaking. That is an aircraft for your taste. All kind of modern technologies are packed into this helicopter. The gearbox is as big as a Robinson and three times as heavy.

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #163 on: May 03, 2006, 01:37:36 PM »
That sounds like one big gearbox :D It does look like a neat helicopter and it's about time too, the Sea Kings lasted well but they are quite old now.
I thought there was something special about the AStar designation since I've only seen a 350 and 355 I think it was (twin-engine I think it was) and I know the Fennec is the military version but you wrote 365 Fennec so I thought it might be a special designation for the military version but I guess it was just a typo, I do a lot of those all the time too since I type too fast and without looking.

A darn shame the Fennecs are all stationed in the other end of the country and that there isn't an open show near here soon but oh well, I'm still young even if almost half my dark brown hair is now white (mad world isn't it? :D )

Frank
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Roland

• Cockerel
« Reply #164 on: May 03, 2006, 06:44:08 PM »
Yes, you are right again Frank, it is a typo (sigh). I’m so fixed on the Dauphin it seems … ::)
The TwinStar is the AS 355, twin engined. It finds it military use mainly in the navies. To make things complete, Frank, the military versions of Aerospatioale/Eurocopter start with 5..
So the Fennec very correctly is an AS 550. Just to show how smart I am. ... ::)