Author Topic: Interesting Photo  (Read 118193 times)

Offline Callisto

• Cockerel
Re: Interesting Photo
« Reply #135 on: April 17, 2006, 03:23:52 AM »
It's not letting me post more than one at a time  ??? ...
If not completely satisfied with this post, return unused portion for full refund.

Offline Callisto

• Cockerel
« Reply #136 on: April 17, 2006, 03:24:28 AM »
D'OH!  ;D
If not completely satisfied with this post, return unused portion for full refund.

Offline Callisto

• Cockerel
« Reply #137 on: April 17, 2006, 03:25:16 AM »
Cool angle... the subject isn't so cool...

Offline Callisto

• Cockerel
« Reply #138 on: April 17, 2006, 03:26:08 AM »
Some day this will be my Flight Deck  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Callisto

• Cockerel
« Reply #139 on: April 17, 2006, 03:28:51 AM »
"This is you captian speaking... If everyone would look out the RIGHT side of the plane, you can see a lot of cool stuff... THERE IS NOTHING TO SEE OUT THE LEFT SIDE! Trust me! So don't look!"

Offline Callisto

• Cockerel
« Reply #140 on: April 17, 2006, 03:34:09 AM »
Ok one more (for now)

How does this happen?!?

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #141 on: April 17, 2006, 03:44:47 AM »
I love the "Learn to Fly" picture !!!

HA HA   :D
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #142 on: April 24, 2006, 02:20:55 AM »
Great pictures! I'd really like to know what happend to that engine, although it looks like nothing serious happend to the plane itself, hopefully (no injuries to people).

Mike is this normal procedure (read the text)? http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=0399592&size=L
I've also always though it was funny the main gear on Lynx helicopters was turned sideways, any idea why? http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0918613/L/
That's a Royal Danish Navy Lynx btw as you can see on the red/white circle and the split flag on the tail (the split-version is only for royal use).
They are used on the ocean-going flex inspection ships that patrol up to and around Greenland as well. While DK is small land-wise then our sea-area is actually quite large and not just defined by the std. limit off-shore.

How about this pub? http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0591257/L/
It's in the walking-streets of downtown Odense and I did see this the few times we were in the downtown shopping area, usually we only shopped in the outscirts of the city.

Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline madpilot44

• Cockerel
« Reply #143 on: April 24, 2006, 03:02:26 AM »
Pretty sure that isn't the normal procedure to check an S-76 nose gear...

maybe the lynx's gear is turned sideways so as to add drag to the chopper when on a ship's deck... (just a thought there)

nice pub! the chopper sure catches attention to it. In the southern part of Guatemala someone is making an airplane museum, and they got a retired Bac one-eleven and they're turning it into a restaurant (it's already in place and people are preparing it). MO you know anything about that?
To most people, the sky is the limit. To those who love aviation, the sky is home.

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #144 on: April 24, 2006, 03:12:50 AM »
Hmmm...
Looks like a normal S-76 take-off to me. You have to keep in mind that he seems to be on a down-slope and that the S-76 hovers very nose-high since the rotormast is angled forward quite a bit. I think the guy was just standing there marshaling him in or out and somebody just put his own interpretation to the picture...
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

Offline chuckar101

• Rooster
« Reply #145 on: April 24, 2006, 11:29:18 PM »
I agree with Mike.  If you look really close it looks like both pilots are inside, while the caption says the copilot is doing the checking.
WOW I did that!

mmniemi

« Reply #146 on: April 25, 2006, 06:04:33 AM »
I agree with Mike.  If you look really close it looks like both pilots are inside, while the caption says the copilot is doing the checking.

Ah, gotta love internet conversations and speculations ;)

Nope, no two pilots inside. That guy outside is the copilot  ;) Actually I later heard that they just "parked" the copter a bit better and the copilot went there to "supervise" and guide the copter on safe surface. After all that is some farmers field and it might be soft etc, so it's better to make it safe with such a biggish copter. Basically all they did was that they moved the nose a meter or so sidewise. The maingear never got off the ground...

Offline Roland

• Cockerel
« Reply #147 on: April 25, 2006, 03:04:50 PM »
To the S76: Working on this type I can tell you that on this picture the nose strut is not properly locked down. It is tilted slightly back. That is what the engineer is looking at. Had the same situation in Africa once. Btw.: there ARE two pilots on board. Don’t forget, the captain in a helicopter is on the right seat (in both ways of meaning). One can see BOTH pilots.

To the Lynx: the main wheels are offset for easier handling on ship decks. Europeans have small frigates with small heli-decks. With this configuration of the main wheels the Lynx can turn on the spot. To move the helo into the hangar the wheels will be set straight.
If helicopter flying would be difficult, engineers would do it.

mmniemi

« Reply #148 on: April 27, 2006, 08:19:49 AM »
To the S76: Working on this type I can tell you that on this picture the nose strut is not properly locked down. It is tilted slightly back. That is what the engineer is looking at. Had the same situation in Africa once. Btw.: there ARE two pilots on board. Don’t forget, the captain in a helicopter is on the right seat (in both ways of meaning). One can see BOTH pilots.

Sorry to disappoint you, but believe me, there is no two pilots inside the helicopter. My other photos prove that. And, best yet, the pilot in command on that very photo is sitting on the left seat. That white thing you see "on the right seat" is not a human at all but it's a jacket or something like that... That I don't know if that guy checking the gear is actually the captain and if he wanted to check the things by himself and told the co-pilot to move the copter. On my other photos where that copter is just arriving, the very same guy, who is now checking the photo, is sitting on the right seat...  ;)

Offline Roland

• Cockerel
« Reply #149 on: April 27, 2006, 08:54:44 AM »
@ mmniemi:

Thanks for the detailed information. Sounds like a situation where in normal one does not whish to have a person around taking pictures… ::)

On the other photo you mentioned, is there to be seen if the nose gear is not locked properly? I would like to know if my other theory is right or not. Just in case… To me it seems to be a maintenance check flight with the engineer on the right seat to check if the landing gear operates the way it should. Could that be? Or am I too far out? And then again: is it important? Who am I? Where do I come from? Where do I go to? … :-[
(Aah PLEEEEASE show the other pictures, I NEEED to know. I’m a freak, I admit) :P
If helicopter flying would be difficult, engineers would do it.