Author Topic: Interesting Photo  (Read 118179 times)

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
Re: Interesting Photo
« Reply #105 on: April 08, 2006, 03:23:38 PM »
Mike that is one awesome picture, those flames look like they are barely 200 meters away, but at least they had a sense of humour, no doubt used to keep up morale and strength I hope. Is that you btw, pardon the dumb question/lack of memory. Was it you that flew a Firehawk helicopter btw? Hovercontrol has one such thing on their site for FS2004 (they're a group of big helicopter sim-enthusiasts and have their own high-quality add-ons, a virtual display-team, schooling etc.).

Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #106 on: April 08, 2006, 03:50:53 PM »
What do you think of this photo? Doesn't the fictional 777 Pacifica Livery look 99.9% like the classic Maersk Air livery from Denmark, even right down to the type-face and the logo! Oh yeah and there's a Lego policehelicopter in there too holding up the traffic.

Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #107 on: April 08, 2006, 07:51:40 PM »
Mike that is one awesome picture, those flames look like they are barely 200 meters away, but at least they had a sense of humour, no doubt used to keep up morale and strength I hope. Is that you btw, pardon the dumb question/lack of memory. Was it you that flew a Firehawk helicopter btw? Hovercontrol has one such thing on their site for FS2004 (they're a group of big helicopter sim-enthusiasts and have their own high-quality add-ons, a virtual display-team, schooling etc.).

Frank

You're right, the flames were about 200 yards away and at this time still burning side-hill. The wind changed about 2min after the photo was taken and the flames started running towards the helibase. It was evacuated in a hurry and the whole base got burned over, together with some equipment and padmarkers. It was even the second time the base got run over on this fire, the first base was burned over the same day in the morning (again a sudden wind shift). This can happen when fighting wildfires. It can be dangerous.
And no, I don't fly Firehawks. I am sure there are a lot of things on a Blackhawk that help you out in a hover on these ships but as far as I know, you still have to move your own pedals...

Nice helicopter picture, by the way!! :D
I hate it when those pesky Lego helicopters hold up traffic! ;D
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

fireflyr

« Reply #108 on: April 09, 2006, 07:34:20 AM »
As far as I know, there was only one firehawk flying and one planned to be airborne soon

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #109 on: April 09, 2006, 05:11:20 PM »
Sorry about that, I wonder where I got the name Firehawk from then, the only other Firehawk is a tuned Pontiac Firebird that was produced in the early 90s I think, I don't know much about those cars.

What helicopters do you normally fly then?

Frank
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #110 on: April 10, 2006, 01:55:15 AM »
As far as I know, there was only one firehawk flying and one planned to be airborne soon

No, "Brainerd Helicopters" has two already and they are working on a third one.
And LA County has two or three Blackhawks converted as well and I think they're getting another one as well.
LA Co. has the fixed tank underneath (yellow machines) and Brainerd flies them with a bucket and a camera system to see what the bucket is doing.
Their ships are red-white-and-blue. Looks pretty good actually.

To Frank:
I fly "Panaca Jane" man!! Didn't you see the pictures?! ;D
(it's based in Ely,Nv for the summer and it's pretty much "my" ship so to speak)

Right now I am in Arkansas with a Bell 206L3 LongRanger until the end of the month....

fireflyr

« Reply #111 on: April 10, 2006, 02:05:58 AM »
No kidding Mike,

Because of the downdraft (whatever you helo guys call it) I've observed working with one in Utah, I wouldn't think they would be good for tanking--more suited for long line bucket work provided they don't try hovering, awesome machine though.   The reserve/ National Guard ones I've worked with though have been singularly ineffective, simply because the Guard guys and gals aren't firefighters by avocation.

Offline Gulfstream Driver

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #112 on: April 10, 2006, 02:14:29 AM »
Is Brainerd Helicopters based in MN?
Behind every great man, there is a woman rolling her eyes.  --Bruce Almighty

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #113 on: April 10, 2006, 08:25:30 PM »
Mike: Ah of course how could I forget her, and your hair LOL, is it a Huey? (at first the nose reminded me of an A-Star).

Frank
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #114 on: April 11, 2006, 04:15:02 AM »
To Gulf:
The Brainerd Helicopters I was talking about are based in Florida. But I think there might be two "Brainderd" operations out there. I still don't know if they are owned by the same guy though....

To Frank:
Yup! It's an AStar. I guess the nose art makes it look like a Huey...he he   ;)

Offline Stef

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
    • Chicken Wings
« Reply #115 on: April 11, 2006, 10:17:12 AM »
This is an old one, but I just stumbled across it again and thought maybe someone hasn't seen it yet! I just love this picture! Wouldn't want to do the walkaround here though...

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #116 on: April 11, 2006, 02:34:22 PM »
LOL oldie but goldie :D

Btw what model is Jane specifically? (I don't think that's been said yet)

Frank
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #117 on: April 14, 2006, 03:16:09 AM »
And another, what's the term, buzz-job? buzzing? This time over a stadium http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1012562/L/
Nice plane, fantastic picture but seriously, wouldn't that have blown people's eardrums?

Frank
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Gulfstream Driver

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #118 on: April 14, 2006, 02:10:13 PM »
And another, what's the term, buzz-job? buzzing? This time over a stadium http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1012562/L/
Nice plane, fantastic picture but seriously, wouldn't that have blown people's eardrums?

Frank

Apparently, not in Australia.   :)

Behind every great man, there is a woman rolling her eyes.  --Bruce Almighty

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #119 on: April 16, 2006, 12:31:15 AM »
Here's a picture I really like, it was also in the theme of some that Jim sent me in an email but he couldn't open my reply appearently.

It's a formation-flight of a Falon, Mustang and Lighting, all they needed was a Tomcat but even those three are awesome looking.

Frank
— Leonardo da Vinci