Author Topic: NOT IT!  (Read 7488 times)

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
NOT IT!
« on: July 18, 2006, 10:26:30 AM »
I see Julio is still getting flight training from Chuck (Julio must really want to fly and really not have much money available if he's taking lessons from Chcuk!)
Kind-of scary to have the instructor not wanting to land in such a situation huh? Almost makes me think who's in more need of a flight instructior, Julio or Chuck :D And that's further underlined by how Chuck's flight instructor was "greeted" by the rest of Roost-Air (including Hans in full sprint!) in that strip I can't remember was only in the book or online, but that just gives even more reason to get the first book if you haven't already, and after reading it I'm sure you want to get the second one as well, so get them both at once!  |:)\

Even though it didn't bring out as much talk as the former one then I still think it's a great one |:)\

Frank
« Last Edit: July 18, 2006, 10:29:02 AM by Frank N. O. »
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Stef

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
    • Chicken Wings
Re: NOT IT!
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2006, 10:37:55 AM »
Thanks for the commercial Frank!  ;) ;D |:)\

I see Julio is still getting flight training from Chuck (Julio must really want to fly and really not have much money available if he's taking lessons from Chcuk!)
Kind-of scary to have the instructor not wanting to land in such a situation huh?
Well... maybe they are on a check ride and not on a lesson?! Makes you wonder why they have to do so many checkrides. In this strip it is the Piper for a change, but usually they're in the Cessna. And whenever you see Julio working on a plane, he's deep with his nose in the engine compartment of the Cessna!  ;D Can't be a coincidence after all... hehehe...Hope we won't get sued by Cessna for that one day!  ;D

Offline Zaffex

• Cockerel
  • "It's ZULU TIME!!!"
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2006, 02:17:06 PM »
Ahhh, That explains it. I thought the cab looked a little different.
"You know you're a redneck pilot when you think avgas makes a good cologne."

Offline happylanding

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2006, 09:27:24 PM »

Excellent remark!! I'd really like to see Chuck during a navigation's lesson!!  ;) ;)
I give that landing a 9 . . . on the Richter scale.

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2006, 06:50:08 PM »
Thanks for the commercial Frank!  ;) ;D |:)\

Kind-of scary to have the instructor not wanting to land in such a situation huh?
Well... maybe they are on a check ride and not on a lesson?! Makes you wonder why they have to do so many checkrides. In this strip it is the Piper for a change, but usually they're in the Cessna. And whenever you see Julio working on a plane, he's deep with his nose in the engine compartment of the Cessna!  ;D Can't be a coincidence after all... hehehe...Hope we won't get sued by Cessna for that one day!  ;D

@Frank:

What my brother meant is that they are always on a maintenance flight. Chuck luckily doesn't give checkrides...

The way it was conceived was the following:
When we came up with Chicken Wings it was obviously based on true stories and my life when I was working for a little flight school as CFI, mechanic, and charter pilot (I guess you can say I was Chuck AND Julio in one person.... ;) )
In real life I have often found that mechanics can fly very well because they have been on numerous maintenance and ferry flights but for some reason never got their license. Some of them fly better than some certified pilots I know (i.a. "Roland" from our forum here)
Everytime I fly with a mechanic, I usually let him fly unless we're doing something out of the ordinary.

So Julio is one of those guys and that's why you see them in th cockpit together all the time.
When you guys finally get the new book you will see, that Chuck quite often comes up with some really strange squawks and Julio has to go on many maintenance flights...
They also fly to this place called "e-Bay" together to pick up a plane and so on....
It's just not well enough explained in the strips that this is what's going on. It's hard to explain the whole history and how all these characters play together in 3 panels  ;)

This strip was actually conceived when that discount airliner (which one was it? I forgot already) made an emergency landing in LAX because his nose wheel was 90 degrees sideways and stuck last year. The guys did and excellent job and kept it on the runway centerline wearing the tires and rims down all the way to the strut on his 737 (? i think that's what it was?).
Since it was in LA, the whole thing was on TV...
So, the question came up:
What happens in the cockpit in an emergency and who is supposed to do the landing? Is it always the Captain?
Well....
...we still don't have the answer but you guys have the strip!!
(It's actually one of my personal favorites)

Mike
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2006, 08:20:00 PM »
You were Chuck and Julio in one person! EEK!  :o :D

Btw, wasn't that jet an airbus? We saw a clip of it and talked about it on the forum earlyer I think.

Speaking of "Sparks", my 7 month old motherboard on my so-called New Pc appearent fried its chipset two days ago so I'm running my old one, the first IBM-Type PC I got, from 1998, 350Mhz PII with 192mb RAM and a blistering 100MHz FSB :D I also played with the Amiga 1200 (1994), tried an old Micropose Apache Gunship demo but no internet on it. So there's the explanation I'm not posting much, the browser isn't that stable since it takes a heavy toll on the cpu so it sometimes crashes.

At Roskilde Airport I saw a V-Tail! As well as a single-engine Diamond making a very off-angle approach to the runway right over us as we drove out and a Dornier twin-engine regional airliner, also a rare sight here from what I know, they mainly use Dash-8's and ATR-42/72s here.

Actually now I'm on the subject, a bit south-west of Copenhagen a couple of weeks ago waiting in the mall parkinglot I saw (and heart) a big high-wing T-tail 4-engine jet fly over, white with blue colour on  the long wheel-pod bulge under the wings. What on earth could that've been? I think it was too big to be a 146 (the small 4-jet airliner) but beyond that there are only planes like the AN-124, C-5 and C-17 to my knowledge, but it couldn't have been one of those could it?

Looking forward to the second book arrives in my mailbox :)

Frank
« Last Edit: July 21, 2006, 08:23:14 PM by Frank N. O. »
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline happylanding

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2006, 09:33:16 AM »
Speaking of "Sparks", my 7 month old motherboard on my so-called New Pc appearent fried its chipset two days ago so I'm running my old one...

Oh damn! Did it fry because of thunderstorms or things alike? You can usually ask the insurer the money back. It did happen so many times to me, and I got mad when I had to go back to an old PC/Mac. Some weeks ago I had a problem with my MacBookPro (Yes, I'm Mac addicted!) and it used to switch off by itself whenever it wasn't AC connected. I had to use my mom really old Mac (a first generation iBook (I had bought an old one and a not powerful at all since she was learning and it seemed to me that a better one would have been a too big expense, actually I was wrong) and I was getting mad. It crashed (and it is something unusual with a Mac) everytime I was attempting to read messages in the forum. the problem with my mac on the contrary, was not so serious anyhow, and the Mac was still on guarantee. The battery had leavened and was some mm bigger that its normal size. :)

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2006, 06:19:38 PM »
No, it didn't, I think it was either a shorted chipset on the motherboard due to a damaged fan or too low fanspeed from a malfunctioning power supply since I've had problems with it's fan listed by the Asusprobe tool as running way too slowly, and a few glitches with too high voltage and I couldn't turn it back on within a hour of switching it off unless I switched off the main power and waited several seconds, also for the checking on the motherboard to go out, not sure if it's a component problem in the power supply that did it, but it should be powerful enough, 520 real Watt, not rated. All major components were bought at the same time and in the same store 7 months ago so there's plenty of warranty but the store is a long way away now we moved so it'll have to be shipped by the post service instead of just driving it to them in person, plus I have to try and find out what's damaged since sending the whole thing is way too heavy/expensive.

Frank
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline happylanding

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2006, 10:34:00 PM »
....so there's plenty of warranty but the store is a long way away now we moved so it'll have to be shipped by the post service instead of just driving it to them in person, plus I have to try and find out what's damaged since sending the whole thing is way too heavy/expensive.
Frank

It's good that the warranty is still working. I'm quite used about seeing computer crashing from the day after the warranty is out to date! And good luck with the search! I'm sure that for you, it won't be like the day I was throwing away a really old computer and instead of keeping the memory in which you store documents (i wanted to detach it for privacy), i kept another part, since I was convinced it was the right one (RAM?!? it's the greenish part that looks like an electric circuit....)  O O O O O OOOOOOPS!  :-[   :-[ :-[

Offline Gulfstream Driver

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2006, 02:56:14 AM »

Actually now I'm on the subject, a bit south-west of Copenhagen a couple of weeks ago waiting in the mall parkinglot I saw (and heart) a big high-wing T-tail 4-engine jet fly over, white with blue colour on  the long wheel-pod bulge under the wings. What on earth could that've been? I think it was too big to be a 146 (the small 4-jet airliner) but beyond that there are only planes like the AN-124, C-5 and C-17 to my knowledge, but it couldn't have been one of those could it?

You sure it wasn't one of these?
Behind every great man, there is a woman rolling her eyes.  --Bruce Almighty

Offline tundra_flier

• Alpha Rooster
  • It's not an old plane, it's a classic!
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2006, 06:25:11 PM »

Sounds a lot like one of the AN-124's we see here once in a while. 

Phil

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2006, 08:25:58 PM »
Ah I thought there was a thread post I couldn't find again. Yes I'm pretty sure it wasn't that small classic-engined one, it was way too big and the blue bulge for the undercarriage was way too long, I just didn't know if it was a AN-124 however I do know another has been in DK, that was Billund in the other end of the country and I saw that with my own eyes by sheer chance, at the ramp and the "AH-124" was easy to read with my dad's old heavy binoculars. I think it was around the time, and possibly therefore connected to emergency supplies that were comming from around the world to some place, just not sure what, but it was a few years ago.

I heard there is more than one AN-124 made but not sure how many, I did hear that they're planning on building a second AN-225 though.

Frank
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline quippy

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2006, 03:37:16 PM »
Hi everybody... I have just one little problem. I cannot translate "not it" into german giving it a sense.

"nicht es"?!

Can anybody please help? Is "not it" any kind of idiom? Thanks

Offline switchtech

• Cockerel
  • Climb, Communicate, Confess, Comply
    • SwitchTech's home page
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2006, 08:59:01 PM »
I'm not sure of the German language variant of "not it"

There is a game children play - "it" is the person in control that has to tag (touch) one of the others, thus transferring the "it" to the one touched - and of course the goal is to not be "it".  So when a person claims "not it" they are claiming they're not in control.  So neither Chuck nor Julio want to be in control during this emergency.

jbs
The sky and land joined for one brief moment, then we flew - the ground a receding memory for just a little while.

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2006, 03:54:02 AM »
maybe:
"nicht ich!"

which means "not me".
This would probably more a question for my brother.....
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.