Author Topic: ...3 bravo tango heavy...  (Read 15121 times)

Offline happylanding

• Alpha Rooster
Re: ...3 bravo tango heavy...
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2006, 05:59:04 AM »
Guess I just wanted to understand why all the extra stuff, while nice to know, is a requirement for a flight plan...

Gulfstream, it could be that, as soon as aviation crosses administrative/bureaucratic paths, things get complicated and you have hundreds of stupid unnecessary moves to perform that would not otherwise be done............ :D :D  the extra stuff probably is this kind of hassle and nothing more. ;)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2006, 08:02:07 AM by happylanding »
I give that landing a 9 . . . on the Richter scale.

Offline Stef

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
    • Chicken Wings
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2006, 11:02:54 AM »
Maybe I'm hung up on this flight plan thing too much. 

All we're required to fill out (if we even file) is type of flight plan, a/c ID, a/c type (with equipment:  transponder, VOR, GPS, etc), departure airport, altitude, departure time, route of flight (direct, airways, etc), destination, time enroute, any remarks, fuel on board, any alternates, pilot's name and home base, souls on board, and color. 

Guess I just wanted to understand why all the extra stuff, while nice to know, is a requirement for a flight plan...

Hmm... okay I don't want to sound like a beaurocrat now, but probably it's 1) to make the pilot think everything through once again before flying and 2) even though everybody might know what a 172 is, some people know more aircraft types than others and they want to avoid situations where someone writes down something like "08 15 X" thinking "what? everybody knows what a Wigglesworth Beeblebrox WB 08 15 Super Sloth X Model is! It's a classic!!" (Don't look it up, I just made this up, hehe   :) ) Probably every pilot thinks that way about his own plane...

Offline happylanding

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2006, 12:00:32 PM »
everybody knows what a Wigglesworth Beeblebrox WB 08 15 Super Sloth X Model is! It's a classic!!" (Don't look it up, I just made this up, hehe   :) ) Probably every pilot thinks that way about his own plane...

Oh my! How could you come out with a name alike?!? just for the name it should be built!  :D it would be funny to see the face of people who do not flight, asking "and ....uhm........what have you flown so far?" And replying in a completely serious way: "oh, cessnas, pipers, katanas, cirrus, spitfires, messerschmidts and oh... I also have an extension for the really famous Wigglesworth Beeblebrox". I'm quite sure, the answer would be "Oh, interesting!!!!".

PS. I'm quite sure that with a name alike, it comes with caterpillar, like the B36 that were built during and after 2WW!
I give that landing a 9 . . . on the Richter scale.

Offline cj5_pilot

• Rooster
  • "Fly Fast, Fly Low, Turn Left"
    • Alaskan Aviators
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2006, 03:00:33 PM »
The day I solo'd (February 29th, 2000), I commented to the instructor that the rate of climb was MUCH better on the 152 without the dead weight in the right seat  |:)\
The average pilot, despite the sometimes swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy and caring. These feelings just don't involve anyone else.

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2006, 03:56:06 PM »
The day I solo'd (February 29th, 2000), I commented to the instructor that the rate of climb was MUCH better on the 152 without the dead weight in the right seat  |:)\
ROFL!!!  Great one! And surely true considering how lightweight a 152 is to begin with so 1 person is a big % increase |:)\

Frank

P.S. I hope the instructor took it as a joke
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline cj5_pilot

• Rooster
  • "Fly Fast, Fly Low, Turn Left"
    • Alaskan Aviators
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2006, 10:58:38 PM »
ROFL!!!  Great one! And surely true considering how lightweight a 152 is to begin with so 1 person is a big % increase |:)\

Frank

P.S. I hope the instructor took it as a joke

He did but said "OK Wiseguy" with an EVIL grin.  That's when he started me on hood work....and was VERY insistent that I was VERY precise  ;)
The average pilot, despite the sometimes swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy and caring. These feelings just don't involve anyone else.

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2006, 06:23:43 AM »

Hmm... okay I don't want to sound like a beaurocrat now, but probably it's 1) to make the pilot think everything through once again before flying and 2) even though everybody might know what a 172 is, some people know more aircraft types than others and they want to avoid situations where someone writes down something like "08 15 X" thinking "what? everybody knows what a Wigglesworth Beeblebrox WB 08 15 Super Sloth X Model is! It's a classic!!" (Don't look it up, I just made this up, hehe   :) ) Probably every pilot thinks that way about his own plane...

I have some time in a T-41, it's fun to fly just to confuse everyone with exactly *what* you're flying.  ;)     A T41 is an Cessna-R172.   This was an E model.   Landing gear is the same as a 206 (much larger than a standard 172) and the engine is a 210 horse continental 6 cyl in this specific aircraft.  But it's not *just* a 172, but it's not a 182 either or a 206.  The official nickname for a T-41 is Muscularo.  So if you want to be really mean, you can talk to atc as "Muscularo xxx."  Fun times.    They are also very fun to fly.  Short field is amazing.  Max performance climb is 20 degrees of flaps at 2 kts above Vso  (with the stall horn screaming into your ear).  I'd hate to have an engine failure during that type of climb though...

The T-41 also has a pull handle on each side for door jettison so you can bail out of needed...

On the topic of "heavy,"  the AIM's Pilot/Controller Glossary says:
AIRCRAFT CLASSES- For the purposes of Wake Turbulence Separation Minima, ATC classifies aircraft as Heavy, Large, and Small as follows:

a. Heavy- Aircraft capable of takeoff weights of more than 255,000 pounds whether or not they are operating at this weight during a particular phase of flight.

b. Large- Aircraft of more than 41,000 pounds, maximum certificated takeoff weight, up to 255,000 pounds.

c. Small- Aircraft of 41,000 pounds or less maximum certificated takeoff weight.

additionally
. Because of the possible effects of wake turbulence, controllers are required to apply no less than specified minimum separation for aircraft operating behind a heavy jet and, in certain instances, behind large nonheavy aircraft (i.e., B757 aircraft).

1. Separation is applied to aircraft operating directly behind a heavy/B757 jet at the same altitude or less than 1,000 feet below:

(a) Heavy jet behind heavy jet-4 miles.

(b) Large/heavy behind B757 - 4 miles.

(c) Small behind B757 - 5 miles.

(d) Small/large aircraft behind heavy jet - 5 miles.

2. Also, separation, measured at the time the preceding aircraft is over the landing threshold, is provided to small aircraft:

(a) Small aircraft landing behind heavy jet - 6 miles.

(b) Small aircraft landing behind B757 - 5 miles.

(c) Small aircraft landing behind large aircraft- 4 miles.

We cause enough wake turbulance in our Beech 1900s for ATC to issue warnings to smaller twins.  In Anchorage they occasionally forget and will issue a wake turbulance alert to the B767 that's on final behind us.  ;)

« Last Edit: September 08, 2006, 06:33:38 AM by Baradium »
"Well I know what's right, I got just one life
In a world that keeps on pushin' me around
But I stand my ground, and I won't back down"
  -Johnny Cash "I won't back Down"