Author Topic: Buyin' a house, buyin' a house, buyin' a house, hey-hey-hey-hey!  (Read 14409 times)

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
Re: Buyin' a house, buyin' a house, buyin' a house, hey-hey-hey-hey!
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2006, 01:29:31 PM »
Congratulations indeed! An airstrip in your backyard sounds wonderful! And about the wife then having the airport right behind your home would mean your closer to home and she could reach you faster and less comuting time. And with an airstrip we could have a Chicken Wings Fly-In Barbeque! How cool would that be  8) |:)\

Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Gulfstream Driver

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2006, 05:31:17 PM »
137 people showing up at my backdoor?!  Whew!
Behind every great man, there is a woman rolling her eyes.  --Bruce Almighty

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2006, 04:31:03 AM »
Don't get your collective hopes up.  Just had the house inspected today, and it's got some issues.  There's a pretty serious mold problem in the attic that doesn't have a vent.  Also, the bathroom exhaust fans vent into the attic, so it's just dumping more and more moisture up there.  And there are apparently no vents on the plumbing.  And, and, and...This place was built by a contractor, so we're confused as to how all of these problems went unnoticed.  It's likely this guy isn't as trustworthy as he seemed.  It's possible we'll be withdrawing our offer.  At the very least, we won't be paying $104,000 for it.   >:( 

Ah, well.  There are a few other options in town, so we'll be looking into those immediately, but for now we're homeless at the end of the month.  Wish us luck.

Offline happylanding

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2006, 11:26:25 AM »
This place was built by a contractor, so we're confused as to how all of these problems went unnoticed.  It's likely this guy isn't as trustworthy as he seemed.  It's possible we'll be withdrawing our offer.  At the very least, we won't be paying $104,000 for it.   >:( 
Ah, well.  There are a few other options in town, so we'll be looking into those immediately, but for now we're homeless at the end of the month.  Wish us luck.

Really really really sorry to hear that. I know this kind of things too well: back in january we had to make some modernization works in the house were I live and we already packed to move. as soon as the works were to begin, the costs of them had multiplied almost by 10 and the works diminished by the same amount.... we're still living like camped out now... the really good thing is that you had the house inspected, so that you know you were risking to pay for something that is not worth the price and you did not get any kick in the back. if there ever is a category that's worse than lawyers, house builders and contractors surely is. Sure as hell I wish you the best luck to have everything fixed for the best way and as soon as possible, since the situations gives a certain degree of uncertainity. I will wait for a bunch of gorgeous news finger crossed! Keep us informed, all right?
I give that landing a 9 . . . on the Richter scale.

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2006, 04:14:17 PM »
Sorry, I guess I misunderstood, I thought you'd already bought the house, but it's good you didn't when it turned out to be so bad so that's good news :)
The place me and my live in that we rent is very bad too, and one of the workers that checked a problem out for us earlier said he knew it was bad since he was one of the people that made it and they were contracted to building it cheaply. There are half-inch gaps between panels and strips on the wall and we have tons of ants and silverfish all over the living-room, hall etc. and giant spiders too. Now we got a heat-wave nearing a tropical night (+20 C minimum for 24 hours) it's boiling hot, but in the winter it is freezing, especially on the floor and there are cheap small electric heaters so it's both extremely expensive and still far less effective than the normal hot-waver heating elements on normal houses, nuts. Technology is so advanced today that in DK they've made a test-house of wood (rnoamlly we use bricks, usually an outer and inner with space between and insulation between) that used paper-insulation and was built so air-tight that when placed in a test-chamber it couldn't measure anything and that place was high-tech, just can't remember where but probably the danish technological institute, and it didn't have any normal heating-system, just solar-panels on the roof and that was enough to power most if not all normal elecrical things in the house and it would be warm enough even in a danish winter, now that to me really speaks volumes of what is already possible, but isn't done.

My late dad had a saying "you can't afford to be poor" he knew from childhood that buying the cheapest usually didn't save money in the end but the exact opposite. It's not just initial cost but running costs as well, things aren't as simple as far too many people see it. And a how is a very expensive investment and is central to ones life and I'd rather take a bigger loan, if possible, and get a house made that was very self-sufficient using solar-panels, efficiently designed and constructed ventilation etc. and have low running bills, which one can't take a loan for, instead of buying a cheap place that was expensive always and had to be repaired and was in daily use still bad.

Best wishes for finding a good place fast, but even with that risk of being homeless, please remember that not checking and thinking things thrue can bite back hard! But I don't envy you your position of facing homelessness either.
Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline happylanding

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2006, 09:41:12 PM »
My late dad had a saying "you can't afford to be poor" he knew from childhood that buying the cheapest usually didn't save money in the end but the exact opposite.

Frank, your Dad was incredibly right and I applaud his point of view.  |:)\ |:)\  Whenever possible, it's the best thing to do. About this I just had an example with computers (and luckily enough, it's not the same cost of an house): I bought for my mom a laptop two years ago and saved on everything since she was "an absent minded" student (I tried to teach her to use it....with no good results): and now, it's even worse, since it doesn't have the "parameters" to get updated and being old it's not efficient enough and for that reason more difficult to use.

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2006, 02:42:04 AM »
Thanks for the well wishes. 

When I said we we're homeless, I was being a little sarcastic.  We'll have a place to stay up there (rent free, even), it just won't be ours.  My parents have a cabin on the river that we can use until winter.

Frank, that new home sounds very impressive.  Most of the homes built here are stick-built.  A few years ago, they were billing straw homes as the wave of the future.  They're tightly packed bales of straw between two cinder block walls.  It's supposed to be very heat efficient.

The problem with newer stick-built homes is that they're so tight, they don't breathe.  We think that's the problem with the home we want to buy.  There's not enough venting in the roof, so moisture just sits in the attic and grows mold.  There needs to be some way for the house to breathe, otherwise bad stuff happens.

It's too bad about your house.  You can look at it this way, though....You won't suffocate.   ;)  Is there a regulation regarding pests in rental properties?  Seems to me that's a serious health hazard that your landlord should take care of. 

Offline Stef

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
    • Chicken Wings
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2006, 01:44:17 PM »
Yeah, with energy prices rising all the time, those efficient houses will become far more common in the future, I guess. The apartment my girlfiriend and me live in is also very old and not very tight. In winter you can actually feel the cold air coming through the badly isolated windows. But it's only for rent and hopefully not for a very long time. I guess when you actually buy a house, you have to apply stricter standards.

Good luck, Gulf, with finding something better! At least you found out about the issues before you bought the house!!  ;)

Offline Callisto

• Cockerel
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2006, 03:49:40 PM »
Sorry to hear about that! It's good that you will not be compeltely homeless... a cabin on the river, rent free, doesn't sound too bad.

Good luck with further house hunting! And be sure to find a place with a back yard that can hold 139 of us for that BBQ!  ;D
If not completely satisfied with this post, return unused portion for full refund.

Offline happylanding

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2006, 03:57:12 PM »
Good luck with further house hunting! And be sure to find a place with a back yard that can hold 139 of us for that BBQ!  ;D

All coming by plane?!?!?

Offline Callisto

• Cockerel
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2006, 04:00:49 PM »
Sure why not (not my back yard! ;D)

Although not everyone here can fly... so could you pick me up Happy? :D
If not completely satisfied with this post, return unused portion for full refund.

Offline Firegirl

• Cockerel
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2006, 05:12:14 PM »
I just saw this thread.
Sorry to hear what happened Gulf.

What's the latest on the situation?
I read that mold is a serious issue you do not want to mess around with. Can really make you sick....

As for the BBQ! RIGHT ON!!
I don't think we'll have 139 planes there, maybe some can share rides  ;).
Plus...don't we have some helicopter people in here as well??
(I hope there will be no "Your-helicopter-blew-dirt-on-my-plane"-issues... ;) )
If you ever reach total enlightenment while drinking beer, I bet you could shoot beer out of you nose.  --- Jack Handy

Offline FlyingBlind

• Cockerel
  • What goes up, must come down
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2006, 10:35:27 AM »
That is the most cutest home i have ever seen :P

Offline happylanding

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2006, 04:53:23 PM »
What's the latest on the situation?
I read that mold is a serious issue you do not want to mess around with. Can really make you sick....

As for the BBQ! RIGHT ON!!
I don't think we'll have 139 planes there, maybe some can share rides  ;).
Plus...don't we have some helicopter people in here as well??
(I hope there will be no "Your-helicopter-blew-dirt-on-my-plane"-issues... ;) )

Yeah, right, do you have any good news?
We have to throw this barbecue and share ride all around europe and us to come for a visit!!
(and to avoid any "your helicopter blew dirt...." everybody will debug his/her plane, uh?!?!?

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2006, 05:15:12 AM »
Well, my wife and I flew up there last Friday and looked at the house again.  We'll be buying the house, provided the homeowner fixes everything that's wrong.  We're having a mold inspector go through the attic, clean what mold there is, and make sure there's no more that isn't seen.  After that's all finished, it should be a pretty nice place to live.   :)  We'll be closing on the house Aug. 10, closing on escrow on the 16th.  We decided to stick around Fargo until the 5th, but we'll still need to stay at the cabin for a couple of weeks.  Not really a bad deal.   :)