Author Topic: wheres my FAF at?  (Read 4008 times)

Offline C310RCaptian

wheres my FAF at?
« on: June 19, 2006, 09:59:39 PM »
I have an Interview coming up with an airline… I hope…. And the most common question asked is when you are shooting an ILS approach… Where is the FAF (Final Approach Fix)?  Now I know some say it is at Glide Slope intersect but what about the little lighting bolt with the altitude written on it? Does that mean at that point at that altitude? Any help would be greatly appreciated.   

Also does anyone have a copy of the jeppsen Approaches into Memphis handy and maybe could scan me a copy??? 

*Guess where I am applying…… :-\…..*

Offline Turbomallard

• Rooster
Re: wheres my FAF at?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2006, 12:11:36 AM »
See the definition in you FAR/AIM Pilot Controller Glossary:

"It is designated on Government charts by the Maltese Cross symbol for nonprecision approaches and the lightining bolt symbol for precision approaches."

This is furtter backed up by the fact that such a response is the correct answer to a question on an LAX ILS approach plate used on the knowledge test. (FAA question number 4642; under the 2006 edition of the Gleim test prep it is question 124 in unit 6, page 229).

Good luck on your interview!

TM
"Do not read this signature under penalty of law."

Offline Sleek-Jet

• Rooster
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2006, 04:38:40 AM »
Wherever the Maltese cross/lightning bolt is at on the chart... just like Turbomallard said...  |:)\
« Last Edit: June 20, 2006, 04:42:32 AM by Sleek-Jet »
A pilot is a confused soul who talks about women when he's around airplanes, and airplanes when he's around women.

Offline happylanding

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2006, 08:17:47 AM »
Good luck, mate! ;)
I give that landing a 9 . . . on the Richter scale.

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2006, 08:02:11 AM »
FINAL APPROACH FIX- The fix from which the final approach (IFR) to an airport is executed and which identifies the beginning of the final approach segment. It is designated on Government charts by the Maltese Cross symbol for nonprecision approaches and the lightning bolt symbol for precision approaches; or when ATC directs a lower-than-published glideslope/path intercept altitude, it is the resultant actual point of the glideslope/path intercept.

You left a bit out from the actual aim (actual aim quote above).  An ILS final approach fix can vary every time you shoot the approach depending on ATC.
"Well I know what's right, I got just one life
In a world that keeps on pushin' me around
But I stand my ground, and I won't back down"
  -Johnny Cash "I won't back Down"