Author Topic: Acrophobia!!!  (Read 14705 times)

Offline happylanding

• Alpha Rooster
Re: Acrophobia!!!
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2006, 07:38:34 AM »
Messes with your blood - you might THINK that you are calmer (and you are...) BUT it ends up in pumping up your fear in the end..... medicine is NEVER good!

(xept for aspirin when you have a atomical hangover....)

I'm not sure I understood your reasonment: do you say by that, that the problem is simply that it takes away symptoms but not the cause?
I give that landing a 9 . . . on the Richter scale.

Offline Stef

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
    • Chicken Wings
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2006, 11:09:04 AM »
I'm not sure I understood your reasonment: do you say by that, that the problem is simply that it takes away symptoms but not the cause?

Probably... I wonder where we'd be without medicine!! I know a lot of people who probably wouldn't be alive anymore without it (including me). In my opinion the real problem with every kind of medication is that people use it too much (also because of doctors prescribing too much, either to be on the safe side or because they get their holidays paid for by the pharma industry). The best thing is to use everything in moderation and only when you really need it. Otherwise it won't work anyway...

Offline FlyingBlind

• Cockerel
  • What goes up, must come down
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2006, 11:07:54 PM »
Messes with your blood - you might THINK that you are calmer (and you are...) BUT it ends up in pumping up your fear in the end..... medicine is NEVER good!

(xept for aspirin when you have a atomical hangover....)

You misunderstood me :)
It makes you feel better for the moment - but it makes the sickness itself worse....

Offline happylanding

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2006, 06:28:54 AM »
You misunderstood me :)
It makes you feel better for the moment - but it makes the sickness itself worse....

FlyingBlind, it could maybe be with some medicines (say for example a sleeping pill: you always take it and then you become unable to do without it, but it's mainly psychological I presume) but I'm certain that the reasonment doesn't apply to all the drugs. I do not think we would be here anymore if some medicines had not functioned and made the sickness/illness go away and heal! :)
I give that landing a 9 . . . on the Richter scale.

Offline FlyingBlind

• Cockerel
  • What goes up, must come down
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2006, 01:50:42 PM »
You are indeed correct about that fact (concerning Penincilin, Antibiotics etc. - they help!) And now you hit the head of the nail :)

Offline Gulfstream Driver

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2006, 03:18:53 PM »
Drugs like dramamine will make you sick if you OD.  I know a guy that was so excited to get on a plane to go to the Frozen Four that he overdosed on it and missed the plane because he was sick.  But, if you follow the directions on the bottle, it does help and gets a lot of people on the plane when they would otherwise have stayed on the ground.  Like Stef said, everything in moderation.
Behind every great man, there is a woman rolling her eyes.  --Bruce Almighty

Offline Firegirl

• Cockerel
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2006, 11:50:14 PM »
Yeah, everything in moderation.....even moderation !!!   (teh-heh ;D)

Having a beer at the airport before the flight and knowing Chuck isn't flying usually helps me ....
 :D
If you ever reach total enlightenment while drinking beer, I bet you could shoot beer out of you nose.  --- Jack Handy

Offline madpilot44

• Cockerel
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2006, 10:37:03 PM »
no prob zaffex. the next time any of you comes over, you know where to find me if you want any help.

about the medications, I have heard that some of them can, as flyingblind said, make the problem worse. like some of the medicine for running noses, or obstructed noses. what that does is it constricts the little veins in your nose, but when the effects pass off the veins expand, and are stronger (kind of the same effect as in exercise, you constrict the muscles and when they expand they are stronger). of course when you take it only once a week or so the problem isn't big. like you guys said, moderation's the key...
To most people, the sky is the limit. To those who love aviation, the sky is home.

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2006, 05:29:19 AM »
During training I was warned many times to never ever ever use any type of nasal spray.  We were told that we could carry some for emergencies, but otherwise best to never use it.  Apparently they actually cause physical damage to your sinuses over time, you really do become "addicted" to them because your body can't function normally without it after a certain time.
"Well I know what's right, I got just one life
In a world that keeps on pushin' me around
But I stand my ground, and I won't back down"
  -Johnny Cash "I won't back Down"

Offline tundra_flier

• Alpha Rooster
  • It's not an old plane, it's a classic!
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2006, 04:58:21 AM »
During training I was warned many times to never ever ever use any type of nasal spray.  We were told that we could carry some for emergencies, but otherwise best to never use it.  Apparently they actually cause physical damage to your sinuses over time, you really do become "addicted" to them because your body can't function normally without it after a certain time.

The one exception is pure saline solution nasal sprays.  They do no damage, you can use them as much as you like, and are your nose's best friend here in the winter.  Indoor air becomes increadibly dry when the mercury hits -40 outside.  I'm to Ayr brand because it come in a squeeze bottle instead of a pump.

Phil

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2006, 06:59:24 AM »
The one exception is pure saline solution nasal sprays.  They do no damage, you can use them as much as you like, and are your nose's best friend here in the winter.  Indoor air becomes increadibly dry when the mercury hits -40 outside.  I'm to Ayr brand because it come in a squeeze bottle instead of a pump.

Phil

I'm not sure about the details specific to that.  They recommended we avoid everything period unless we had to due worries that your body will still adjust to it.   

I profess lack of knowledge on this one.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2006, 07:39:54 AM by Baradium »
"Well I know what's right, I got just one life
In a world that keeps on pushin' me around
But I stand my ground, and I won't back down"
  -Johnny Cash "I won't back Down"

Offline switchtech

• Cockerel
  • Climb, Communicate, Confess, Comply
    • SwitchTech's home page
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2006, 10:56:52 PM »
I learned about saline nose sprays on a trip to Denver.  After a few days over 5000 ft and near zero humidity (and sub-freezing temps outside) my nose was dry and cracking inside.  The concierge recommended a moisturizing nose spray - and at the drug store when I asked, they pointed me to the saline nose spray.  Now its the only nose spray I'll use.

jbs
The sky and land joined for one brief moment, then we flew - the ground a receding memory for just a little while.