Author Topic: 747 going around  (Read 10396 times)

Offline ManuPiper

• My web site
747 going around
« on: June 18, 2006, 08:20:56 AM »
Now that's a quite interesting video... a Pakistan 747 going around because of a "gear warning". ATC recording is also included:

http://www.flightlevel350.com/Aircraft_Boeing_747-200-Airline_Pakistan_International_Airlines_-_PIA_Aviation_Video-6419.html

-Manuel

Offline Turbomallard

• Rooster
Re: 747 going around
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2006, 03:40:08 PM »
If I ever had to talk to a controller like that woman with the delicious accent, I'd be all thumbs in handling the airplane... talk about distractions!

TM
"Do not read this signature under penalty of law."

Offline spacer

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2006, 02:24:00 AM »
Hey Baby, lemme clear up this landing gear thingy and we'll get together in the bar.
over.

Offline Turbomallard

• Rooster
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2006, 02:54:27 PM »
Hey Baby, lemme clear up this landing gear thingy and we'll get together in the bar.
over.

Hey, I'd almost rather continue flying around just to listen to her purr at me all concerned about my well being...
 :D
TM
"Do not read this signature under penalty of law."

fireflyr

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2006, 03:10:52 PM »
over.

Hey, I'd almost rather continue flying around just to listen to her purr at me all concerned about my well being...
TM

Her voice was so distracting that you guys didn't even notice the greaser perfect landing the pilot did!!! :-\

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2006, 07:30:06 PM »
Do you know how much money a go around costs in one of those?! 

:o
"Well I know what's right, I got just one life
In a world that keeps on pushin' me around
But I stand my ground, and I won't back down"
  -Johnny Cash "I won't back Down"

Offline happylanding

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2006, 07:58:52 AM »
I actually have no idea about the costs, but I wonder if you ever noticed the faces of passengers when a go around is being performed. some years ago the federal office of civil aviation changed the procedures to land in Lugano, since the descent glide was too steep, out of any imagined regulation. after that change the usual aircraft that had been used during years in Lugano (a Saab 2000 aka Jumbolino) was temporarily changed with a Dash something and it happened almost daily that one had to go around, it was becoming a quite normal procedure, even if the approach should have been, in theory,  easier. I was seated next to a businessman who was looking out of the window, already ready to get up and rush to the door in the time needed to land and taxi. I heard him saying a "oh no, nonononononononono what the ------ is happening? are we going to crash?", since he did not know what the aircraft was performing. The approach was missed, so the Dash retried it and could finally land. When the taxi stopped and the door opened, he was still sitting, looking blindly in front of him, not daring to get up anymore. and all that for a go around.
I give that landing a 9 . . . on the Richter scale.

Offline ManuPiper

• My web site
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2006, 08:10:50 AM »
Talking about interesting maneuvers, have a look at this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V06LBgfuxgA

It's worth looking at - the whole length of it!

Happylanding, yes, it's definitely fun to look at peoples' faces during a go-around in an airliner :-)

-Manuel

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2006, 09:03:53 AM »
Happy,
Just starting an engine on a 727 costs over a thousand dollars to give you an idea.

Yeah, people freak out, they think of airplanes as always flying the same path.  When something "different" happens they get excited.

Except up here.

You get them from point A to point B and they are happy.

Pilots seem to be held to a really high regard, almost to a fault.  The envelope really gets pushed here by some operators.  And 500 ft AGL VFR is a normal operation for 135 operators (we are 121 and it's not a regular item for us).

You can tell which operators really push the envelope.  They have the "MacGuyver" pilots, but they also have a higher accident rate, by a large margin.

I guess some of us just aren't willing to kill ourselves so a passenger can get home a day earlier.

-Ryan

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
Re: Citation over Shoot
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2006, 10:09:51 AM »
To the video posted by Manuel: That is one of the most insane things I've ever seen, and that's saying a LOT! I hope that person gets his license revoked! One more note, please tell me some other country besides Denmark has a registration number starting with "OY-" and that only uses letters? OY-JET to my knowledge is a danish registration, and I'd hate knowing that such a person was flying a plane over here! Just another reason why nationality doesn't really say anymore than where one pays taxes beacuse I don't want to be lumped in the same pilot-catagory with that guy!

Edit: It was a danish one, I googled the registration and found a danish aviation site (real pilots) where it was discussed in the forum. It's a danish millionaire and his own plane, and he only had a PPL, not a commercial rating. Appearently he was returning to Atlanta too after being another place so it wasn't the first time he landed there.

Btw who were the people taping it? Airport workers?

Frank
« Last Edit: September 02, 2006, 10:26:20 AM by Frank N. O. »
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline spacer

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2006, 04:28:51 PM »
over.

TM

Her voice was so distracting that you guys didn't even notice the greaser perfect landing the pilot did!!! :-\

Oh, so they did land?
Sorry, I hadn't noticed.
  8)

Offline happylanding

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2006, 06:29:15 PM »
To the video posted by Manuel: That is one of the most insane things I've ever seen, and that's saying a LOT!

Did you also read the all why of the accident?
http://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=20050515-0&lang=en
even wind calm he could not have landed!
Crazy!
I give that landing a 9 . . . on the Richter scale.

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2006, 10:22:42 PM »
I hadn't seen that Happy, thanks for the link, but man the overall IQ-rating of Danish pilots just dropped 50 points after that. That was so incredibly stupid that I cannot believe it. I guess it just goes to tell that earning millions doesn't make one capable of controlling what vehicles one might be able to buy. There was also a Ferrari Enzo owner that lost control and crashed and killed himself in Italy on a 2lane narrow country road, the police estimated he was doing at least 250+ kph, 2 lanes combined, std. width and grass right next to the tarmax edge and a forrest on one side. The pictures of the car went all around the net like a blizzard, the car was literally ripped to small pieces. I read that some US celebrities campaigned to give illegal immigrants the right to get a driver's license for seeking jobs, saying that a drivers license was a human right. Disregarding that it was for illegal immigrants, then I'd say it's not a human right to get permission to drive or handle anything else like that due to the sheer fact that not all can drive a car and a lot of people can get killed. The same goes for other forms of transport as well. I've thought about driver's licenses should be a lot more like ppl's with type-ratings since a FIAT 500 and a Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren are just so different that a person shouldn't automatically have the right to drive one and indeed in DK a motorbike rider can only drive a small engined bike for the first couple of years, but it's far from just the knowledge of the machine you're controlling, people should also learn to understand that different vehicles have different limits and don't even need to use the maximum abilities but from what I gather then at least pilots are taught that right?

Sorry to go off on a small rant, but it seems that at least here I'm not the only one understanding the dangers nor that I'm the only one that can actually enjoy controlling a vehicle ina a calm and safe manor and understands the differences in vehicles and other import factors.
Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2006, 01:05:41 AM »

Edit: It was a danish one, I googled the registration and found a danish aviation site (real pilots) where it was discussed in the forum. It's a danish millionaire and his own plane, and he only had a PPL, not a commercial rating. Appearently he was returning to Atlanta too after being another place so it wasn't the first time he landed there.

Btw who were the people taping it? Airport workers?

Frank

Pssst.... Atlanta, Georgia is in the middle of the state and isn't anywhere near the ocean.  Therefore, there is no *bay* in Atlanta as well.   ;)

This acciident was in Atlantic City, New Jersey.   ;)   I found a reference to the correct location in a post on the site, although Happy confirmed it with the accident report.   :P

Thanks,
Ryan  <---- Just moved to AK from the Atlanta area.   

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2006, 02:14:18 AM »
Ah sorry about that but thanks for the friendly way you pointed it out :) I've never been outside northern Europe and never more than a few hours outside of DK so I didn't notice it when the videofile said Atlanta.

Frank
— Leonardo da Vinci