Author Topic: PC Gaming  (Read 16526 times)

Offline Plthijnx

• Alpha Rooster
  • My da*n easy button's broken. Can I borrow yours?
PC Gaming
« on: June 10, 2006, 12:46:30 AM »
anyone into PC gaming? I just went out and bought half-life 2 and am installing it as i type. the game is FIVE CD's!! i loved half-life 1 granted the add-ons kinda were a dissapointment. but if anyone had played it let me know what you thought....anyway, thought i'd start a gaming thread and see how things went......
The three best things in life are a good landing, a good orgasm, and a good bowel movement. The night carrier landing is one of the few opportunities in life to experience all three at the same time. - Unknown

Offline chuckar101

• Rooster
Re: PC Gaming
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2006, 03:14:55 AM »
Not much of a gamer now, but at college there were a lot of long nights of halo2.  Oh and lots of beer to.
WOW I did that!

Offline Plthijnx

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2006, 06:23:01 AM »
don't have any experience with the halo series or any playstation/gamebox etc...i've always been a PC'er but i can say that HL2 is awesome!
The three best things in life are a good landing, a good orgasm, and a good bowel movement. The night carrier landing is one of the few opportunities in life to experience all three at the same time. - Unknown

Offline Stef

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
    • Chicken Wings
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2006, 12:36:33 PM »
Hm, it seems that most people in here would only play flight simulators!  ;)
As for me, I don't really play that much either... Never felt the urge to actually spend money on a console or a PC game for many years. The games that got me addicted when I was younger were Tetris (on my Gameboy), Sim City, Airline (a really really old PC game where you have to manage your own airline), Master of Orion, Civilization and Age of Empires... So you can tell that I'm more of a strategy type. (insert smiley with a general's hat).

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2006, 01:57:45 PM »
I've been a personal computer gamer for decades!
Starting from a C64 over a Amiga500, 2000 and 1200 (which I still have) and from 1998 a PC with Windows 98 (which I still have, and at the time it was one fast thing, as is my current one I built in december).

Early Breadbox-games (nick-name for the C64 due to it's shape) include Pipeline, Pit Stop, Pole Position, Miami Vice etc.
Amiga-games: F/A-18 Interceptor (fightsim historians will really know this one!), Flight of the Intruder (and this one, I got a special edition with the original book included), The Secret of the Monkey Island! Classic!!! I love early LucasGames (now LucasArts) adventures, Monkey Island II, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, then some car-games, Super Cars, Jaguar XJ220, Lotus Esprit Turbo Challange, James Pond II: Robocod, Premiere, Lemmings etc. etc.

PC-Games:
Classic adventure-games: Monkey Island 3: The Curse of Monkey Island, Monkey Island 4: Escape from Monkey Island, Syberia,
Action-adventures: Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine, Blade Runner, Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, Star Wars: Jedi Knight II Jedi Outcast, Star Wars Jedi Academy, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 1+2
Flight-sims: Terminal Reality Fly!, Terminal Reality Fly! II, MS FS2000 Professional Edition, MS FS2002 Professional Edition, MS FS2004 A Century of Flight
Action-games: Deus Ex 1+2, Star Trek: Elite Force 1+2, No One Lives Forever 1+2, Grand Theft Auto III+Vice City + San Andreas Note: I'd prefer the games without violence, I actually play them to finish the missions so I can walk, drive and fly around and listen to the in-game radio :D
Space-games: Freelancer, Starlancer, Star Wars: X-Wing Alliance, Freespace 1+2.Carsims: rFactor, F1 Challange, Grand Prix Legends
Cargames: Midtown Madness 1+2, Every Need For Speed game from NFSII SE to now although the older ones were better, that Fast'n'Furious street-race with head-on traffic colissions just isn't fun for me, the last one, Most Wanted even less so. the 5th game, exclusively with Porsches, made with Porsche AG, was a gem and had a giant online community with online races and racer-clans, of course there are bad seeds in all things but generally there were many gentlemen and lady-racers with good maners and the talks in the online pits were sometimes as fun as the racing, and that says a lot!

NOTE: All pc-games above were bought in stores with my own money (before that I mostly got my games from my dad when my mom wasn't watching over the money :D ), no pirate-versions or cracked versions. Can you see how much you can get instead of smoking alchohol and drinking tobacco? :D

Hmm, I think I've forgotten several but that should answer your question, and maybe raise a few new ones :D

Oh yeah I almost forgot, I got Halo with the Xbox I bought a few years ago, I'm not good at it and normally use god-mode cheats since I dislike dying, it's kind-of too close to home you know and besides I'm more interested in the story than how to kill a guy/monster. I actually bought the Xbox for Midtown Madness 3 and the sequal to Crimson Skies for the PC, ah yes I forgot that one. Sadly both of these seuqals were very bad, Crimson Skies 2 especially!!!

If you have a PC and like flying and awesome atmosphere then get Crimson Skies for the PC, it's an older game but the quality and flight-dynamics and storyline and actors are fantastic! The Xbox-only sequal was awfull!!!! Generic arcadish flight-handling, totally nuts floating power-ups, generic 3D animation for every cut-scene instead of the fantastic atmosphere of the 2D system in the original and most of the original crew's voicecast was gone as well their characters :(

Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline happylanding

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2006, 02:20:09 PM »
I bacame a game addicted since I had an amiga 2000, that I later sold in 1995. the games were simply outrageously addicticting. I used to play the new zealand story (in the game you where a small chicken who had to save his brothers!!!), monkey island, indy jones, surgeon, the olympic games (winter), and a tons of others. with pc I never found any really addicting game, and had to wait until caesar 3 and lemmings to find some. I never bought a console because I know I could spend hours in front of it. My brother had one and one day we began playing micromachines (an unforgettable one!), and after 8 hrs or so, we were still in front of the game.........Now, I usually play things like simcity and tomb raider (that I usually disinstall after 2 days if I see that my productivity is dropping....) or the sims just to build the houses.....  :) :) :)

Anybody who tried Second Life in internet?!?!?
I give that landing a 9 . . . on the Richter scale.

fireflyr

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2006, 03:10:03 PM »
Frank, you've opened new avenues of substance abuse here----I never before thought of smoking alcohol or drinking tobacco, HMMM, which one will I try first? :D

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2006, 06:04:57 PM »
Frank, you've opened new avenues of substance abuse here----I never before thought of smoking alcohol or drinking tobacco, HMMM, which one will I try first? :D

Drinking Tobacco, huh?!
I am envisioning a huge spit-bottle filled with premium chew slowly brought to a boil over the stove...
..drink while still hot....

:P  :-X (insert puking smiley....)
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

fireflyr

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2006, 08:22:12 PM »
HACK-GAG-PATOOIE!!!!
Tried that Mike--I suppose if it was all MY spit, it would be more palatable yucka-yuckety-yuck! :P

Offline Callisto

• Cockerel
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2006, 01:53:23 PM »
Wow... It's way too early to be picturing a steaming bowl of spittle tobacco... as a matter of fact, regardless of what time it is, it's too early for that!!!   :-X (kinda looks like a pre-puke face?)
Oh, and be careful when smoking alcohol I think I just burned off an eyebrow!

ANYWAY, back to the subject at hand...

I am mainly a PC a gamer, but I've been known to pick up an xbox controller or two.
There are too many games to even list here, but maybe 90% of Frank's PC games plus a few he didn't say.

Favorites I'm playing now... I've been feeling a bit nostalgic lately, I've reinstalled Empire Earth, Quake III (cause I can't fine my Unreal Tournament CD's), and Halo.
My newer games include NFS Underground 2 and MSFS Century of Flight. (Which BTW Flight Simulator X is coming soon... MS claims "2006 holiday season", which means November... but it is MS Software, so that could mean as late as June 2007...)

Speaking of MSFS, I've been addicted to that game since my 386 16MHz 1Mb RAM and FS3!!!

Half Life was cool, I never got into HL2... Sounds like I may have to check it out.
If not completely satisfied with this post, return unused portion for full refund.

Offline diveej

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2006, 02:35:32 PM »
i play call of duty 2 all the time and i am in a clan there... [InF@MoUs]FEAR

Offline happylanding

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2006, 09:11:32 PM »
Hmm, I think I've forgotten several but that should answer your question, and maybe raise a few new ones :D

Hello Frank!! I was thinking about one question, actually! Have you ever tried any Amiga (1500 or 2000) emulator, to play the old games in your pc? If yes, how did it work?
Some years ago there was a fantastic page www.mame.dk where you could find atari, c64, gameboy, amiga and alikes emulator plus a lot of games: they closed it for (C) infringiment issues  :(   I could never ever find anything similar. but it would be interesting to play the old games again......

Okay my friends, I will catch some sleep now! Take care and good night!  :D :D :D
« Last Edit: June 12, 2006, 09:14:39 PM by happylanding »
I give that landing a 9 . . . on the Richter scale.

Offline Plthijnx

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2006, 10:40:08 PM »

[Spicoli]Duuuuuuude[/spicoli]
(fast times at ridgemont high)

Offline Plthijnx

• Alpha Rooster
« Last Edit: June 12, 2006, 10:51:06 PM by plthijnx »

Offline Plthijnx

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2006, 10:54:37 PM »
oh and BTW if anyone is interested in a action/thriller game i HIGHLY recommend half-life 2!! the game of the year edition comes with HL-1 as well. and i recommend playing it first but......anyway i spent WAY too many hours on it this weekend. there are critters in there that give me the CREEPS every time they attack me. the game is cool, they had a sci-fi guy write a story and they built the game around that....verrrrrry cool!!