Author Topic: Seaplane ride  (Read 8002 times)

Offline Dysko

• GolfVictorSpotting.it
Seaplane ride
« on: March 25, 2012, 07:33:41 PM »
Hi,
for my birthday, my university friends gave me as a present a seaplane ride above the Lake of Como (northern Italy) with the most important seaplane flying school in Italy, and one of the most important in Europe. My birthday is in november, but since weather in northern Italy during autumn and winter is very foggy, I could fly only some weeks ago.
Here are some photos from the seaplane base:

Most of the planes were Cessna C172 equipped with floats

Cessna C206:

The 2 historical planes of the flying club: a Piper PA-18 Super Cub...

...and a Cessna O-1 Bird Dog:

Seagulls fleeing from a C172:

And the C206 landing:

The flight was actually a trial flight with a certified instructor, so I flew the plane, and I could take only few photos. Taxiing in the lake before takeoff...

...and downwind leg before landing (you can see another seaplane in front of the ferry):

And here is the plane on which I flew:

Thank you for watching :)
My aircraft spotting website: GolfVictorSpotting.it

Offline FlyboyGil

• Alpha Rooster
  • AW, CRAP!!!
    • MYSPACE!!!
Re: Seaplane ride
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 08:59:35 PM »
Nice photos. Did float flying here in Canada once, during Autumn, in the North. Beautiful scenery and fun flying. Keep it up if you can.  |:)\ |:)\
IF YOU CAN'T SAY ANYTHING NICE, YOU'RE PROBABLY AT THE ICE CAPADES

Offline Kilrah

• Fledgling
    • Photo gallery
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 09:15:53 PM »
Cool, would love flying a seaplane one day. Unfortunately, none of those here :(

Offline Oddball

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
  • I crash better than anybody I know
    • Myspace profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 10:22:21 PM »
Been past Lake Como a few times the way to Livigno, beautiful area.
"You can teach monkeys to fly better than that!"and "spring chicken to sh**e hawk in one easy lesson"

Offline Stef

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
    • Chicken Wings
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 09:54:42 AM »
Nice images!!  |:)\  ::bow::

Naive little old me didn't even know we had seaplanes in Europe. Where else can you land with them? I guess you can land anywhere where there's water. But as a learned European, I know that it's probably prohibited except in a few designated areas. Also, you won't find AvGas on any old lake, right?

I've seen some seaplanes who can extend wheels from their floats. I guess that's not standard, or is it?

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 02:40:12 PM »
I always wanted to get my seaplane rating!

After seeing these pictures, I really have to find a school now!
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

Offline Dysko

• GolfVictorSpotting.it
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 04:06:35 PM »
Thank you, everybody :D

Naive little old me didn't even know we had seaplanes in Europe. Where else can you land with them? I guess you can land anywhere where there's water. But as a learned European, I know that it's probably prohibited except in a few designated areas. Also, you won't find AvGas on any old lake, right?
I'm sure there is at least another seaplane school in Italy (equipped only with ultralight planes though) and a Dubai-owned seaplane company which offers sightseeing tours of Venice. I'm also fairly sure there are seaplanes in Greece (saw some photos in some magazines), but the crisis may have hit badly that sector.

I've seen some seaplanes who can extend wheels from their floats. I guess that's not standard, or is it?
The Como flying school has more than 10 planes, and only 3 are amphibians: the Super Cub in the photos, a Cessna 172 (which is often sent to small airshows for advertising, its reg is I-DROV, which is the initial part of the word "idrovolante" that means "seaplane" in Italian), and a Lake LA-4-200 Buccaneer which is usually used for long voyages.
My aircraft spotting website: GolfVictorSpotting.it

Offline Oddball

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
  • I crash better than anybody I know
    • Myspace profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 04:27:12 PM »
Got float plane training based on Loch Tay near me where we also have Radio Control float plane days also have one as a air taxi based out of Scone Aerodrome (Perth International) that lands on the River Clyde in Glasgow.
"You can teach monkeys to fly better than that!"and "spring chicken to sh**e hawk in one easy lesson"

Offline Stef

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
    • Chicken Wings
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2012, 01:28:57 PM »
I'm sure there is at least another seaplane school in Italy (equipped only with ultralight planes though) and a Dubai-owned seaplane company which offers sightseeing tours of Venice. I'm also fairly sure there are seaplanes in Greece (saw some photos in some magazines), but the crisis may have hit badly that sector.

Whoa! Flying seaplanes in Greece must be awesome! Imagine island hopping in a Twin Otter, and spending the night in a lonely bay, getting out the barbeque and a couple of folding chairs and put them on the roof... A bottle of retsina...

But actually, flying seaplanes anywhere must be awesome!

Offline Fabo

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
  • If flying is a drug,then I am a first class addict
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2012, 11:48:23 PM »
Flying a float otter... Greeece...

must.. concentrate... forum, post... photoshop waiting... SNAP OUT!

OK Stef, thank you for that. Now regarding seaplanes in Europe, they do exist, but mostly only in coastal countries. I know for a fact that seaplanes are forbidden in Slovakia. There was a guy once that used to operate one illegaly on Liptovska Mara in the Tatras, but he got caught, the airplane was flown out, and I suppose he was fined heavily.
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Offline Jupiter

• Fledgling
  • Aerospace engineering student
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2012, 09:30:14 AM »
We've got a couple of them here in the Netherlands too, if I'm not mistaken. At the aviation museum where our aircraft is on display, they used to offer "splash and dash" rides on a Catalina (don't know if they still do that), and somewhere else on that field they've got a flying school which used to offer island barbecues on the IJsselmeer, while you're being flown there with an amphibious Cessna. Again, not sure if it's still done...
Studying Aerospace Engineering since 2008
Designing, building and maintaining aircraft since 2008
Drummer since 1999
Balloon support crew since 2009
Built rockets between 2008-2010

Offline FlyboyGil

• Alpha Rooster
  • AW, CRAP!!!
    • MYSPACE!!!
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2012, 10:18:34 PM »
We've got a couple of them here in the Netherlands too, if I'm not mistaken. At the aviation museum where our aircraft is on display, they used to offer "splash and dash" rides on a Catalina (don't know if they still do that), and somewhere else on that field they've got a flying school which used to offer island barbecues on the IJsselmeer, while you're being flown there with an amphibious Cessna. Again, not sure if it's still done...

Did they ever recover the Lancaster which had crashed in that lake? My understanding was that it was fairly complete.
IF YOU CAN'T SAY ANYTHING NICE, YOU'RE PROBABLY AT THE ICE CAPADES

Offline Jupiter

• Fledgling
  • Aerospace engineering student
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2012, 10:36:41 PM »
As far as I know, they've brought up some pieces, including the remains of the Polish crew, between 15 and 10 years ago. Can't find anything about it since, so what's left of it will probably still be lying there... Apparently there's also other Lancaster down there, but don't know what state that one's in... Tail numbers are DV286 (the Polish one) and ED603. More info here and here, in case you're interested...
Studying Aerospace Engineering since 2008
Designing, building and maintaining aircraft since 2008
Drummer since 1999
Balloon support crew since 2009
Built rockets between 2008-2010