Author Topic: New Project  (Read 5638 times)

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
New Project
« on: February 07, 2012, 01:55:44 PM »
I picked up an army surplus ambulance (literally, directly from the US Army).   It's not an airplane, but it was a lot more affordable.

My plan is to make an RV out of it.  It has a lot of storage outside and room inside and it's 4x4.

To give a scale on size, that trailer deck is about 4' off the ground  (the tires on the truck are between 32 and 33" tall).

Its in Georgia now where I'll be doing most of the work on it,  I might drive it up the alcan (Alaska-Canadian highway) around the end of summer if the progress is sufficient.

"Well I know what's right, I got just one life
In a world that keeps on pushin' me around
But I stand my ground, and I won't back down"
  -Johnny Cash "I won't back Down"

Offline G-man

• Alpha Rooster
  • Cogito sumere potum alterum.
Re: New Project
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 02:08:00 PM »
Cool---always thought about doing that, but could never find the time....
Life may not be the party we hoped for---but while we're here--we might as well dance..........

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 10:55:15 PM »

I have too many projects, so I don't have the time either   ::rofl::

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 09:14:09 PM »

I have too many projects, so I don't have the time either   ::rofl::

That's the typical pilot - type-A - personality I see all the time (and in myself of course)
If I had a nickel for every project I have going and half-finished .  . . . ....

I'd have a dollar probably....

Cool idea though!!
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

Offline Oddball

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
  • I crash better than anybody I know
    • Myspace profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 07:11:21 PM »
Nice!! always wanted a project like that. Had a few in mind ranging from a 1941 Willys Jeep right up to a Challenger 1 Main Battle Tank  ;D ;D
"You can teach monkeys to fly better than that!"and "spring chicken to sh**e hawk in one easy lesson"

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2012, 12:23:55 AM »
Nice!! always wanted a project like that. Had a few in mind ranging from a 1941 Willys Jeep right up to a Challenger 1 Main Battle Tank  ;D ;D

There's a guy somewhere in Britain that at least used to drive a tank to work every day.  I remember it was painted bright yellow.

I did know someone who had an ex british army ferret.   4 wheeled tank, street legal.  He could drive it on the road even in the US.

As far as the ambulance goes,  I think I'm going to rip out the interior and redo it.  I'd contemplated leaving it as it is and adapting it, but it'll be more efficient to redo the layout.  I already got ahold of a 3,000 watt inverter (27 amps at 110 with a startup load of double that, a standard outlet in a house is capable of 15 amps for reference).

The other side of the truck has exterior storage bins,  I'd like to get ahold of a small diesel generator for one of them, but as it is it has a very oversized alternator and that combined with the inverter will let me run just about anything I could put in it.     Current fuel capacity is in the neighborhood of 50 gallons, although I'd like to add another 20 or 30 gallons to that figure. 

I also have some air tanks off a semi truck I'm going to mount underneath along the frame to provide compressed air for air tools (along with a compressor of some sort somewhere on the truck).  It should work out to a fairly self sufficient remote camping rig.

Offline Oddball

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
  • I crash better than anybody I know
    • Myspace profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2012, 01:16:51 PM »
Ambulances are good for conversions.  Plenty of room in the rear for a lot of things.
"You can teach monkeys to fly better than that!"and "spring chicken to sh**e hawk in one easy lesson"

Offline vldflight

• Cockerel
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2012, 03:46:39 PM »
Only a fellow Georgian would think this one up...paint that sucker red and put a big bulldog on the side of her, then swing by Hahira and load me up, lol.

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2012, 12:10:26 AM »
Only a fellow Georgian would think this one up...paint that sucker red and put a big bulldog on the side of her, then swing by Hahira and load me up, lol.

Sorry, I'm an Alaskan now.

I did briefly consider putting the alaskan flag on the doors, but it's most likely going to just get a fresh coat of olive drab.

What area of the state are you?  When I'm in town I'm 45 minutes or so south of Atlanta, somewhat near Tara Field.