Author Topic: Air Swimmers  (Read 5217 times)

Offline Stef

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
    • Chicken Wings
Air Swimmers
« on: October 30, 2011, 02:29:13 PM »
These here are cool! Does anybody know how they keep their buoyancy to keep floating at the same level?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIJINiK9azc

Offline G-man

• Alpha Rooster
  • Cogito sumere potum alterum.
Re: Air Swimmers
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 04:35:39 PM »
These here are cool! Does anybody know how they keep their buoyancy to keep floating at the same level?

Helium---I almost bought one yesterday.
Life may not be the party we hoped for---but while we're here--we might as well dance..........

Offline Stef

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
    • Chicken Wings
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, 08:32:55 PM »

Helium---I almost bought one yesterday.

They look absolutely awesome! How much are they?

And obviously they need helium in them, but what I mean is, how do they stay level and don't just stick to the ceiling like the average helium balloon? Would they work the same on sea level as on 4000ft above sea level? I'm no expert, but wouldn't you have to be able to adjust the amount of lift?

Offline Ragwing

• Rooster
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 12:19:26 PM »

Offline G-man

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, 01:55:36 PM »
You fill them to "hover in equilibrium" then adjust height with the props.....
Life may not be the party we hoped for---but while we're here--we might as well dance..........

Offline Kilrah

• Fledgling
    • Photo gallery
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2011, 08:37:58 PM »
how do they stay level and don't just stick to the ceiling like the average helium balloon? Would they work the same on sea level as on 4000ft above sea level? I'm no expert, but wouldn't you have to be able to adjust the amount of lift?
You fill up with helium, then stick coins or such in the gondola until it's perfectly balanced with a very slight downward tendency.

Offline Stef

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
    • Chicken Wings
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 09:16:47 AM »
Thanks, actually pretty straightforward. I could have thought of that myself. They're not too expensive either! Hmmmm  ::thinking::  ;D

Offline Kilrah

• Fledgling
    • Photo gallery
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2011, 10:00:33 AM »
I've tried one at a friend's and it's fun indeed, especially if you have kids. If you don't, I doubt you'll take it out so much after the first day excitement wears out ;)
There are 2 controls, one that swings the tail, you have to manually do left/right/left/right movements to go forward, left/center/left/center to go left, etc... and one "pitch" control that moves the gondola forward/backwards on the belly of the thing to shift the weight. So if you bring the gondola backwards the thing pitches up, then if you swing the tail you go up. Pretty easy, but it has to be well balanced, if it's slightly too heavy the tiny amount of thrust isn't enough to go up anymore (and the opposite is obviously true too, so be careful with the ceiling ;D )

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2011, 07:37:47 PM »
LOL, that exit out of the elevator was priceless, especially with the finishing touch being the diving suit! I've never heard of these things before seeing those videos. This does look similar to this video I found months ago but haven't posted here yet (I think): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxPzodKQays&feature=player_embedded

Frank

P.S. Sorry for not being that active here but I've been depressed.
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Stef

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
    • Chicken Wings
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2011, 12:16:12 PM »
LOL, that exit out of the elevator was priceless, especially with the finishing touch being the diving suit! I've never heard of these things before seeing those videos. This does look similar to this video I found months ago but haven't posted here yet (I think): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxPzodKQays&feature=player_embedded

Frank

P.S. Sorry for not being that active here but I've been depressed.

That's an awesome video! I wonder how this one works. Looks more expensive than the air swimmers though.

And great to have you back, Frank!! Mike and I already wondered where you had gone!

Offline Fabo

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
  • If flying is a drug,then I am a first class addict
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2011, 10:22:14 AM »
Those things are way cool!
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2011, 06:10:32 PM »
Quote from: Stef
That's an awesome video! I wonder how this one works. Looks more expensive than the air swimmers though.

And great to have you back, Frank!! Mike and I already wondered where you had gone!
Yeah sorry about that. I was just getting depressed from months of constant bad news about global financial worries, disasters in Japan and no chance of anything interesting happening in my life and nothing I can do about it. Then the final straw was reading that TSA would not ease up on their searches but quite the opposite because it's now declared possible to surgically implant a bomb into a person. That kind of news just kills all interest in ever getting near an aircraft or airport. I hope things won't go as bad as that initial news said but in any case I'm now avoiding news since I can't take much more bad news, especially when there's little good news.

Back on a more merry topic then I've had the thought that an airship could be a fun RC vehicle, especially with strong engines and a wireless videocamera so you could fly over your house (if it was legal/safe in the area of course). I don't know of anyone who makes such things though, although an airship possibly isn't as tough to make as a plane or rotorcraft.

Frank
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline G-man

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2011, 07:50:58 PM »
Ahh..but there is good news...you Get a free colonoscopy and/or breast exam, and a free x-ray when you visit the TSA.

Do you realize the cost of healthcare these days?

Sorry....could not resist.

Offline Kilrah

• Fledgling
    • Photo gallery
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2011, 08:36:00 PM »
Back on a more merry topic then I've had the thought that an airship could be a fun RC vehicle

It is, although it does get boring after a while... can't do loops and stuff  ;D

A few I've flown:

Offline Oddball

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
  • I crash better than anybody I know
    • Myspace profile
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2011, 08:41:30 PM »
Should be able to drop a few R/C parachutists from it though  ;D
"You can teach monkeys to fly better than that!"and "spring chicken to sh**e hawk in one easy lesson"