Author Topic: Antonov AN-2 flight  (Read 7240 times)

Offline Kilrah

• Fledgling
    • Photo gallery
Antonov AN-2 flight
« on: September 04, 2011, 08:39:08 PM »
Sooo, 2 weeks ago we had a nice airshow in the region... well actually we had quite a few recently, but that was the only one I could attend with my schedule  :-\

Lots of very nice things, but the highlight for me was a little flight in an AN-2 that was there to do sightseeing tours. It was already there last time we had this airshow 2 years ago, and it was insanely tempting to go for a flight in the evening light but I was so broke at the time that I decided not to... which I have of course regretted since then. So that was a must for this year's edition, and even more so as I got to have the copilot seat  ;D

Anyway, less talk and more images:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILWvg_1GULU&hd=1

I've done quite a bit of GA flying with friends and different planes, but this definitely is memorable. Nice, big and roomy, interesting panel full of old russian markings, very quiet flight, that nice music from the big round thing in the front... and even the pilot fits very well in the context!

A great experience and memory!

Offline vldflight

• Cockerel
Re: Antonov AN-2 flight
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 03:16:44 PM »
Very nice...thanks for sharing

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 09:35:22 PM »
NICE!

I love that plane!
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

Offline Rooster Cruiser

• Alpha Rooster
  • Retired Chicken Hauler
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 06:01:45 AM »
Kilrah, awesome Vid!!!  Did you take all these shots?

I've never had the opportunity to fly in an actual An-2, but I did fly an An-2 simulator nearly 10 years ago when I went to my wife's hometown in Russia.  However, my memory of that day is a bit fuzzy since the local pilots rolled out the red carpet for me and we all drank around six shots of vodka before we got into the simulator!   ::drinking::  I remember sitting there trying to figure out the backwards-working russian gyro instruments while flying the sim when I felt a tug on my elbow.  I pulled my attention away from the instrument panel to see someone was offering me yet another shot of vodka!  I still have a pic of myself and the Chief Pilot of the shut-down airline toasting the camera from the cockpit of the An-2 sim.  I'll try finding it and I'll post it here.

I love the sound of big round engines from the cockpit!  It reminds me of my father's old Cessna 195.  I wish I could have inherited that classic, but sadly my father sold it years ago.

Nice to see the PC-6 at the grass strip too.  I have logged a few landings in that airplane as well.  Another fun tailwheel bushplane!

RC
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 06:03:41 AM by Rooster Cruiser »
"Me 'n Earl was haulin' chickens / On a flatbed outta Wiggins..."

Wolf Creek Pass, by CW McCall

Offline Kilrah

• Fledgling
    • Photo gallery
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 09:46:59 AM »
Thanks!

Yes I took all the shots - I was so NOT going home that day without a flight that I planned and took a few exterior shots in advance  ;D

Actually I came to the desk rather late (I didn't want them to book me on a flight too early, wanted the evening light...) and of course that meant "opening" a new flight and hoping enough people would come to fill it up - which eventually happened after a 1-hr wait. The advantage was that I had the choice to take the front seat, definitely very worth the whole wait, I didn't even think that was possible, so it was an excellent surprise!

They did offer me the PC-6 instead, but I'm flying on these regularly, so wouldn't quite have been the unusual experience the AN-2 was... Mind you the PC-6 is also impressive in its style... I managed to find again the video I made of the first flight I got to do in one, watch that approach that for a first does feel weird and impressive ("nosedive to runway threshold" would actually be more appropriate...  ::unbelieveable:: )

http://www.flightlevel350.com/aviation_video.php?id=4179

The experience in Russia must be even lots better... as long as they aren't so light on the vodka when flying the real thing  ::drinking::

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2011, 03:19:17 AM »
Nice video.

It's such an interesting airplane.  From the sound of it, it has air brakes on it as well.  I'm curious if it uses an air starter too.

It's kind of sad, in the US you can buy a nice one for less than a supercub.   They were never certified in the US so you can't use them for any type of commercial operation.
"Well I know what's right, I got just one life
In a world that keeps on pushin' me around
But I stand my ground, and I won't back down"
  -Johnny Cash "I won't back Down"

Offline Kilrah

• Fledgling
    • Photo gallery
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2011, 09:12:39 PM »
Thanks!

From the sound of it, it has air brakes on it as well.

Hmm, AFAIK only flaps. Both ailerons from the bottom wing go down, as well as the inner part of the top wing ones:

I'm curious if it uses an air starter too.

It's an inertial starter, or whatever you call that... An electric motor spins up some mass, and once it has enough energy (spins fast enough) a friction clutch connects it to the engine.
See here: http://youtu.be/f3sHTVBRSDA?t=53s

That sound!  ::bow::

Too bad they're not certified in the US, really nice plane to fly on :(

Offline Dysko

• GolfVictorSpotting.it
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2011, 10:06:44 PM »
Great video! I love the sound of radial engines, so thank you for using the original audio! Unfortunately, many people on YouTube seem to think that putting ugly electronic music is better ::sick::

I've never seen a flying An-2, the only one I saw was on static display at Le Bourget airshow in 2009. The An-2 in your video is based in Dittingen? Was the video taken during a small airshow/fly-in/meeting, or was it simply regular traffic? I'd really love to see (and hear!) a flying An-2! :)
My aircraft spotting website: GolfVictorSpotting.it

Offline Kilrah

• Fledgling
    • Photo gallery
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2011, 10:18:14 PM »
The AN-2 was there for the (rather big, for the place) airshow that's being held in Dittingen every 2 years, doing passenger tours like I did. It's based somewhere in Gemany.

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2011, 03:01:21 AM »
Thanks!

From the sound of it, it has air brakes on it as well.

Hmm, AFAIK only flaps. Both ailerons from the bottom wing go down, as well as the inner part of the top wing ones:

I'm curious if it uses an air starter too.

It's an inertial starter, or whatever you call that... An electric motor spins up some mass, and once it has enough energy (spins fast enough) a friction clutch connects it to the engine.
See here: http://youtu.be/f3sHTVBRSDA?t=53s

That sound!  ::bow::

Too bad they're not certified in the US, really nice plane to fly on :(

Sorry, I didn't mean speed brakes or spoilers.  I meant the wheel brakes actuated by air.  It's common for russian/chinese airplanes.  The CJ-6a I rode in a number of years ago had air brakes, starter, gear, flaps, and steering.   It's a really interested setup, but it's frustrating if the engine doesn't want to start or your tank leaks down because it needs much more pressure than a normal air compressor can provide.
"Well I know what's right, I got just one life
In a world that keeps on pushin' me around
But I stand my ground, and I won't back down"
  -Johnny Cash "I won't back Down"

Offline Rooster Cruiser

• Alpha Rooster
  • Retired Chicken Hauler
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2011, 06:15:24 AM »
Ah reckon ah could loan ya some of mah air pressure from mah air tanks on mah Peterbuilt.  Let's see if mah air line is long enough to reach over to yer airplane!   ::cowboy::

RC

Offline Oddball

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
  • I crash better than anybody I know
    • Myspace profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2011, 12:15:32 PM »
R/C that was the worst John Wayne impression I've ever heard  :P
"You can teach monkeys to fly better than that!"and "spring chicken to sh**e hawk in one easy lesson"

Offline Rooster Cruiser

• Alpha Rooster
  • Retired Chicken Hauler
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2011, 05:03:50 PM »
R/C that was the worst John Wayne impression I've ever heard  :P

That wasn't John Wayne, that was Okie Truck Driver-speak!   

RC