Author Topic: How to become a Pilot  (Read 2181 times)

Offline Rooster Cruiser

• Alpha Rooster
  • Retired Chicken Hauler
How to become a Pilot
« on: June 14, 2011, 02:48:44 PM »
Man, I can relate to this!

Whenever people ask me what my kids want to be when they grow up, I tell them, "Whatever they decide, I'm not gonna pay for them to become professional pilots!  They're gonna be doctors, lawyers, or investment bankers...  something that makes real money."

I sure didn't get into this business for the money either.  This is simply a paid hobby for me.   ::drinking::

Again, a great strip guys!   |:)\

RC
"Me 'n Earl was haulin' chickens / On a flatbed outta Wiggins..."

Wolf Creek Pass, by CW McCall

Offline cotejy

• Rooster
Re: How to become a Pilot
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 05:57:51 PM »
The problem is we all knew we would end up flying before we were taught the value of money. As far as I can remember, I always went to sleep watching airplanes pictures. Old, recent, small, big, jets, heavy bombers, airliners, private, gliders, I wanted to fly them all. Then later, my dad taught me that money isn't infinite.

Took me 30 years to get a decent degree that got me a good job with an honest pay check but the dream was still there unaltered. What did I did? Forgot what my dad told me, got my licence, got married, own a house, had kids,... Today, I have to save my money for months to get 2 hours of flying. Sometimes, I wait a few more months to be able to rent a small twin just because it's fun. As long as they renew my medical, I'll be poor. But I'll also be a happy men who's still like a kid and run outside each time an airplane pass by just to see it.

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 09:25:46 PM »
This story went down almost exactly as it was drawn. It was the mid 1990’s and I was showing a kid around the hangar who was interested in becoming a mechanic. He asked me how much an A&P mechanic would be making after he had his license and completed his training. When I told him he said he was making that amount already in his second year working for an escalator and elevator company and if he stuck with it he would be making almost double that in another 4 years. Kinda crushed me in a way….
But I also knew I wasn’t gonna be rich going into the aviation business. I loved anything that had to do with flying and especially with helicopters. But I am actually making a little more than I was planning which I believe comes from the fact that the Vietnam aera pilots are retiring and the next generation is asking for more money to fly helos.
Of course it could be more
But I still feel lucky to have a job I enjoy and the awesome people who share this profession (obsession?) with me!

To put it in perspective though and since we just gave away silver as a prize:

If I took those 60k in 1996 and bought silver instead of a commercial helicopter license I would now own $400,000 USD in silver !!
Just by waiting and not lifting a finger for it!
And it's probably more than what the helo-flying as made net so far. Crazy, huh?!
--> hence the joke with the kid wanting to be an investment banker....
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

Offline tundra_flier

• Alpha Rooster
  • It's not an old plane, it's a classic!
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 12:34:49 AM »
I always feel a little guilty doing young eagles flights.  Feel like a drug dealer giving out free samples.   ::eek:: ::banghead::