Author Topic: Bear with me  (Read 5505 times)

Offline Artoo

Bear with me
« on: May 26, 2011, 04:03:02 PM »
I watched a few clips of Tumbling Bear's shows and it's some really impressive stuff  |:)\
but he narrates from the cockpit, and I just want to know at what point do aerobatic pilots get over saying "WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE"
Stay on target!

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
Re: Bear with me
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 04:51:36 PM »
He explained to me how he gets that airplane to tumble but I wasn't able to follow 100%.
My favorite part is when he goes straight up and then tumbles on top while disappearing in the smoke. All you see is a little yellow tumble around in the smoke until the plane "falls" out at the bottom.
Very cool!
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

Offline Fabo

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
  • If flying is a drug,then I am a first class addict
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 02:47:13 PM »
Lomcovák.... or Talířek, maybe, as it seems done from vertical... First shown in 1964 by Ladislav Bezák in Zlin 226 Trener, it is apparently some kind of negative snap roll, or so I have been told, ending either in reverse spin or tailslide.
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Offline tundra_flier

• Alpha Rooster
  • It's not an old plane, it's a classic!
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2011, 09:13:43 AM »
I've heard that Lomcovak tanslates to "Headache"  :)

I've seen the description of how to do it.  as I recall:

1.  pull up to 45 degrees.
2.  let speed bleed off to near stall, slipping with right rudder, left aileron.
3.  near stall, apply full right rudder, right aileron, up elevator to enter a snap roll.
4.  at 180 degrees roll, fully invertered reverse the elevator to full down, apply full throttle.  The aircraft should swap ends so it's going up, backwards at full power.  :O
5.  Hang on tight till things stabilize to an inverted flatt spin.
6.  Recover from inverted flat spin into vertical dive.

Never tried it from the cockpit, and could never get the timing right with an R/C plane.  ;)

Phil

Offline Oddball

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
  • I crash better than anybody I know
    • Myspace profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2011, 09:46:01 AM »
a club mate tried to explain how to do one on a R/C model................pull up and put everything into the top left or right corners lol
"You can teach monkeys to fly better than that!"and "spring chicken to sh**e hawk in one easy lesson"

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2011, 06:41:28 PM »
I dunno . . . .

Any manuever where you "stabilize" into an "inverted" flat spin seems to be something I would probably try to avoid for my whole aviation career......

::sick::

Offline G-man

• Alpha Rooster
  • Cogito sumere potum alterum.
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2011, 06:56:50 PM »
Almost sounds similar to when I learned to hover a helicopter....
Life may not be the party we hoped for---but while we're here--we might as well dance..........

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2011, 05:20:01 PM »
yeah, I remember those days . . .   ;D

spinning out of control, all over the place in the meadow, the feeling I'll never get the hang of this ever . . . . .

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2011, 12:00:52 PM »
I found a couple of short clips on YouTube too, looks nifty. Also sounded like the female presenter in one of the videos herself was a pilot. Is is also true that some of the se civilian propeller planes can pull as many g's as a supersonic fighter-jet? At least ones without thrust-vectoring.

Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2011, 06:39:16 PM »
I found a couple of short clips on YouTube too, looks nifty. Also sounded like the female presenter in one of the videos herself was a pilot. Is is also true that some of the se civilian propeller planes can pull as many g's as a supersonic fighter-jet? At least ones without thrust-vectoring.

Frank

I think the female presenter is his wife. And yes, she is a pilot as well. She owns a super-sweet Turbo-Commander.
As for the G's, I think 6 or so is not unheard of. I can ask the bear though....

Offline spacer

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2011, 09:40:06 PM »
I get nervous enough doing simple stalls as it is.  ::bow::

Offline Jupiter

• Fledgling
  • Aerospace engineering student
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2011, 10:15:02 PM »

Frank

I think the female presenter is his wife. And yes, she is a pilot as well. She owns a super-sweet Turbo-Commander.
As for the G's, I think 6 or so is not unheard of. I can ask the bear though....
+6/-3 is what our aircraft's rated for (aerobatics from '30s), but I've seen modern VLA's with rating of up to +9/-6, so also fully aerobatic...
Studying Aerospace Engineering since 2008
Designing, building and maintaining aircraft since 2008
Drummer since 1999
Balloon support crew since 2009
Built rockets between 2008-2010

Offline Stef

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
    • Chicken Wings
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2011, 10:17:37 AM »
Wow, as much as I would want to hitch a ride on an aerobatics plane one day, I think I would puke within 10 minutes max. I don't know why my brother doesn't get sea/car/airsick but I do. Quite unfair! Recently I heard that seasickness is associated with allergies or histamine intolerance etc... Anyone know more about this?  ???

Offline Fabo

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
  • If flying is a drug,then I am a first class addict
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2011, 03:54:21 PM »
Stef:

Should I hook you up?

Done +5/-2.5 G

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pD-sO4kTKk&feature=share

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2011, 02:43:27 PM »
Wow, as much as I would want to hitch a ride on an aerobatics plane one day, I think I would puke within 10 minutes max. I don't know why my brother doesn't get sea/car/airsick but I do. Quite unfair! Recently I heard that seasickness is associated with allergies or histamine intolerance etc... Anyone know more about this?  ???
I get sick when I'm a passenger in a vehicle that's controlled in a maner I find unsafe, especially if I don't know/trust the operator of the vehicle.

Frank
— Leonardo da Vinci