Author Topic: aerobatics  (Read 22119 times)

Offline Panzerrat

• Cockerel
Re: aerobatics
« Reply #45 on: December 31, 2006, 08:41:10 AM »
Ah well, I've stood next to the Dash 80 before she left Seattle a few years back, and I've flown in a few 707s.  Guess I just never looked hard enough.  Such is life.
"You call this bad? I'll tell you what bad is....Bad is passing test depth at 80 feet per second with a thirty degree down bubble. Compared to that, this is a walk in the park.”

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #46 on: January 01, 2007, 02:57:31 PM »
What a comparisom, there are big differences aerodynamically between the Skyhawk and Cardinal according to every bit of info I've ever found.

About the maneuver then I was wondering since I couldn't get a commercial Tommy FS add-on to even come close to that kind of roll-rate regardless of what speed I flew at, of course I'd rather belive real stuntflying than a sim for what is possible and what is not, but until I can get the chance to fly for real then flightsims are all I have so I'm trying to see what in a sim I can trust. Can a Commander or Cardinal do a roll as easily and fast as that too without damage?

Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

fireflyr

« Reply #47 on: January 01, 2007, 03:09:58 PM »
Can a Commander or Cardinal do a roll as easily and fast as that too without damage?

Frank
NO ::wave::

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #48 on: January 01, 2007, 03:23:53 PM »
I didn't think so, I wonder how come such a little Piper can do it then though, I didn't really think a Commander or Cardinal were such trucks.

Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

fireflyr

« Reply #49 on: January 01, 2007, 04:19:37 PM »
I didn't think so, I wonder how come such a little Piper can do it then though, I didn't really think a Commander or Cardinal were such trucks.

Frank
Let me change that last answer to a yes----I was suffering from rectal/cranial inversion at the moment---that actually was a very slow roll rate in the video (compared to something like an Extra 300 @ 420 degrees per second) ::type::

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #50 on: January 01, 2007, 04:30:33 PM »
Hmmm, I'm starting to think I should stop using FS and learn aviation in the real world instead, I also think even a small Cessna in real life is cooler than sitting behind a desk flying a Corsair on a tv screen with a joystick. I get a lot more into things when I'm actually there as opposed to just imagining it. It's also cool to see a real Catalina, Starfighter, Caravelle III, DC-3 etc. in a museum hangar than flying them on a home computer (these planes are all in a museum north of Copenhagen and you can walk right up and touch them or get inside them too!).

Frank
— Leonardo da Vinci

fireflyr

« Reply #51 on: January 01, 2007, 05:18:11 PM »
I concur, Frank |:)\

Offline tundra_flier

• Alpha Rooster
  • It's not an old plane, it's a classic!
« Reply #52 on: January 01, 2007, 09:19:44 PM »
What a comparisom, there are big differences aerodynamically between the Skyhawk and Cardinal according to every bit of info I've ever found.

About the maneuver then I was wondering since I couldn't get a commercial Tommy FS add-on to even come close to that kind of roll-rate regardless of what speed I flew at, of course I'd rather belive real stuntflying than a sim for what is possible and what is not, but until I can get the chance to fly for real then flightsims are all I have so I'm trying to see what in a sim I can trust. Can a Commander or Cardinal do a roll as easily and fast as that too without damage?

Frank

Frank, most of the downloadable flight sim aircraft are just another aircraft model with a different grafics package.  I've downloaded 3 different ones for Cessna 150's to try and simulate cross countries before doing them for real, and all of them had the exact same performance, specs and handling as the C-172 that came with MS Flight sim.  Even the cockpit views were identical.  Just different exterior graphics.  So the Tramahawk ones your trying were probably just Cherokees or C-172's with different graphics too.

Phil

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #53 on: January 01, 2007, 09:36:38 PM »
Maybe. It was Just Flight's Tomahawk from the Flying Club pack in a 30-day limited trial version, it was on a demo CD I got sent for free (including a free Spitfire :D). Real Air Simulations were commission by a New Zeeland flying school to make a new livery and physics for the default Skyhawk so it would now spin and sideslip which the original couldn't and generally then Real Air Simulations are one of a few that are known to be able to create air-files that really do make the plane react similarly to the real thing, also a group that makes classic warbirds I just can't remember their name. I actually emailed Real Air and asked about a air-file for a Cardinal but he replied back saying that I probably knew more about it than he did since it was completely different in handling than the Skyhawk and they hadn't planned on making one anytime soon, and that was a few years ago.

Another forum had a review of the AOPA commissioned FS2004 Rockwell Commander 112, identical to the real life one they raffled away, and the poster said that the handling wasn't close to the real thing (he was appearently a real life pilot) so all in all it sounded like it would be a waste of money to buy it, even with sim controls. FS2004 has licensed Garmin panels, a small and big one and from what it looks like now then that's all I can use MSFS for, but Garmin themselves released a training program a while ago and that was free to download as opposed to forking out a fair bit of dosh for MSFS.

One of the best ways to learn would probably be following on several flights, also in preperation, service etc. but with my size and weight then that'd not be very practical, and then there's the matter of being in the wrong part of he world but I'm not giving up yet until someone can clearly prove to me that I can't do it. I just gotta get that new car chosen and bought and then focus on seeing what I can do, all those stories from Mike, Jim, Soccermom, Happy etc. etc. only keep motivating me.

Frank
— Leonardo da Vinci