Author Topic: aerobatics  (Read 22121 times)

undatc

Re: aerobatics
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2006, 08:34:24 PM »
I dunno if you're still looking at getting your aerobatics endorsment, but go for it.  Here we have lots of guys get their rating with less than 100 total.  I actually was planing on getting mine soon, maybe, if i can land.  We train in a super decathalon, not the prettiest of planes, but none the less, a lot of fun.

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2006, 05:37:54 AM »
I was just wondering, how big is a Decathlon's cabin anyway? They have one at Roskilde Airport where several flight schools as well as taxi companies are but I doubt my shoulders and legs would fit in one judging from what I've seen, also in the movie Iron Eagle btw (I think it was the same fuselage at least if not model).

Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2006, 07:29:36 AM »
Dear Happy,   :D

Just my two cents' worth...  I'd go for it!!  The value of what you learn, and experience, will just add on to what you have already learned about flying.  It's not like waiting another 100 hours would make a big difference, really...  it's an experience that is helpful.  Try it, enjoy it, and then maybe try it again when you DO have some more time.

I'm not good at wording this, sorry, but I feel it is one of the nice things about flying..  no matter when/where/how you are exposed to something, you can always learn and gain from it.  Besides -- it'd be a BLAST!!!  AND -- you could tell US all about it!!   ;) 

The Soccer Mom***   8)
Don't make me come back there!!!!

Offline happylanding

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2006, 08:46:24 AM »
I'll say that in the new year's resolutions, it is in (along with manucure, Soccermom!  :) )!
I have to be patient tough, because I currently do not have the money to do it, since I'm using all my savings to pay the courses I'm taking of arabic.
I give that landing a 9 . . . on the Richter scale.

Offline Gulfstream Driver

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2006, 06:20:10 PM »
I was just wondering, how big is a Decathlon's cabin anyway? They have one at Roskilde Airport where several flight schools as well as taxi companies are but I doubt my shoulders and legs would fit in one judging from what I've seen, also in the movie Iron Eagle btw (I think it was the same fuselage at least if not model).

Frank

I thought that was a C-150 in Iron Eagle.  I'm sure you'd fit in a Decathalon, Frank.  It's a tandem seat like a Super Cub or a Champ.  The only tough thing is getting out in a hurry, no matter what size you are.   ;)
Behind every great man, there is a woman rolling her eyes.  --Bruce Almighty

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2006, 06:45:31 PM »
Doug Masters flew a Cessna Aerobat (from what I heard, it was in reality flown by Art Scholl just before the fatal filming for Top Gun) but two of Doug's friends flew as observers for the rules of the race, each in their own plane and with one of the biker's friends as co-observers, one plane was a Tomahawk, the other was a Decathlon looking thing.

And thanks for the reply :)

Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Gulfstream Driver

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2006, 07:31:57 PM »
I see.  Great knowledge of a cheesy, obscure 80's flying movie, btw. |:)\
Behind every great man, there is a woman rolling her eyes.  --Bruce Almighty

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2006, 07:37:36 PM »
LOL it was the time I grew up and those were the glory years for me and many other things, just ask me questions about a DeLorean DMC-12 which I was introduced to from Back to the Future, I can talk your ears off about knowledge about it :D
Actually what I liked about Iron Eagle was mainly that canyon flight and not really the dogfight scenes afterwards.

Frank
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2006, 07:48:08 AM »
Speaking of which, I found this clip, how the heck can one get a Tommy to do that? I didn't think a small normal GA could roll that fast?

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=381018339419395735&q=Iron+Eagle

Frank
— Leonardo da Vinci

undatc

« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2006, 09:58:29 AM »
Ahhh yea, the wonder of positive G loading.  Its actually possiable to barrel roll any aircraft if you can keep only poitive G's on the airframe, thats the tricky part.  Tex Johnson actually did a barrel roll with a boeing 707 over lake Washington here in Seattle.  Dunno when this was, must be mid 50's sometime.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7169720963232435934&q=707+roll

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2006, 07:15:20 PM »
Ahhh yea, the wonder of positive G loading.  Its actually possiable to barrel roll any aircraft if you can keep only poitive G's on the airframe, thats the tricky part.  Tex Johnson actually did a barrel roll with a boeing 707 over lake Washington here in Seattle.  Dunno when this was, must be mid 50's sometime.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7169720963232435934&q=707+roll

Havn't watched the video, but is that the one on one of the initial 707 test flights?  I was a aware they did a barrel roll on one of those...
"Well I know what's right, I got just one life
In a world that keeps on pushin' me around
But I stand my ground, and I won't back down"
  -Johnny Cash "I won't back Down"

Offline Panzerrat

• Cockerel
« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2006, 08:35:27 PM »
Tex rolled the 707 Dash 80 over Lake Washington during SeaFair, a big celebration up here.  He got a bit of a dressing down from the CEO of Boeing, but apparently the Air Force was impressed enough to buy the 707s to convert into KC-135s.  BTW, that very aircraft was flow to D.C. back in 2003 and now resides in the Smithsonian.
"You call this bad? I'll tell you what bad is....Bad is passing test depth at 80 feet per second with a thirty degree down bubble. Compared to that, this is a walk in the park.”

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2006, 09:36:43 AM »
Tex rolled the 707 Dash 80 over Lake Washington during SeaFair, a big celebration up here.  He got a bit of a dressing down from the CEO of Boeing, but apparently the Air Force was impressed enough to buy the 707s to convert into KC-135s.  BTW, that very aircraft was flow to D.C. back in 2003 and now resides in the Smithsonian.

If what I found before was correct, KC135s didn't come from 707 airframe though.  They were designed at the same time from the same prototype design, but both designs are quite different.

In fact, the wings and the fuselage are quite different between the two.    That stunt might have sparked the air force to continue the project, but the actual design is as much a 707 as a cardinal 177 is a 172.   Similiarities but pretty far from the same aircraft and not a conversion from one of the two designs.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2006, 09:40:30 AM by Baradium »

Offline Panzerrat

• Cockerel
« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2006, 04:31:00 PM »
True, but the Dash 80 isn't really a 707, either.  Still, it's the basic wing design...  I think.  There is certainly a very similar look.
"You call this bad? I'll tell you what bad is....Bad is passing test depth at 80 feet per second with a thirty degree down bubble. Compared to that, this is a walk in the park.”

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #44 on: December 31, 2006, 08:14:31 AM »
True, but the Dash 80 isn't really a 707, either.  Still, it's the basic wing design...  I think.  There is certainly a very similar look.

One of the biggest differences between the two is the wing.  ;)

They angle is very different, a lot sharper rake to the KC-135.  I also think the whole design is different to accomodate the mission (needs a stall speed lower than the Vne of the slowest aircraft in arsenal and higher than the stall speed of the fastest (at the time the SR-71 I imagine).