Author Topic: aerobatics  (Read 22118 times)

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
Re: aerobatics
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2006, 12:30:18 AM »
Did I tell you guys that Red Bull here in the US bought two of those BO105's and is now trying to get an aerobatics team together to show this off in the states as well?
I translated a bunch of stuff for them from German to English because they had to prove to the FAA that this is normal to do in this type of aircraft. I am friends with the guy who will fly them in the show and put this program together for them.
And his name is.... naturally...
>
>
>
>CHUCK !!!      HA HA ! :D

We are making a decal of our Chuck for him because he wants to put it on the pilot side door!! Cool, huh?!
Chuck actually went to Germany to train with the pilot you see in the video. Obviously he was very imressed with the guys skills and what the machine can do....

HAHA! that's for sure a must see! And a wonderful promo, for sure!!! But are you kidding or was I misunderstood??? You also mean that the pilot's name (in real life at least) is Chuck? BTW, is there some pilot here also addicted to RedBull (what you drink I mean?!?) or is it just a student's wake up..............mixture!?!?!

Yeah that's right. Chuck is his real name.
He came up to me one day and said: "Hey, is this supposed to be me?"
In reality about 50% of Chucks looks and behavior is based on him for many many reasons but I told him: "Uhm...no, not really. There might be SOME of you in there" thinking he is getting mad at me...

but then he said "that would be really cool if it was me, I want a sticker of Chuck on my helo!"
Turns out he was all excited about it.

btw I like RedBull and drank a lot of it in school, but I don't do it so much anymore. You have to watch out with caffeine in the dessert. It makes you dehydrated really quick....
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

Offline Stef

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
    • Chicken Wings
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2006, 01:21:32 PM »
btw I like RedBull and drank a lot of it in school, but I don't do it so much anymore. You have to watch out with caffeine in the dessert. It makes you dehydrated really quick....

HAHA! That's a funny typo! Then just avoid coffee chocolate for dessert!  ;) ;D

I never drank much Red Bull... I use it as a drug to wake me up, so if I drank it too much, it wouldn't work when I really need it (like any other drug). I use e.g. it if I go long distances by car.

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2006, 10:27:41 PM »
Oh dear, a stunt-pilot called Chuck and he wan't Chuck as a mascot on the side lol.

Btw is the Bo-105 the most maneuverable helicopter around? And where does the Gazelle, Lynx, Tiger, Apache and Hokum sit in comparisom?

Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline tundra_flier

• Alpha Rooster
  • It's not an old plane, it's a classic!
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2006, 11:29:04 PM »
Happy, I was fortunate enough to learn to fly in a Citabria 7GCBC and get some entry level aerobatics in the mix.  So I've done spins, loops, wingovers and lots of different unusual additude training manuvers. 

To date the most difficult and dangerous manuver I've ever done is a cross wind landing.  Low, slow and cross controlled all at the same time, talk about a set up for a crash!  Aerobatics are only dangerous when done low.  Just keep lots of sky under you and you'll be fine.

Incidently, my Cessna 150 is actually far more manuverable, with lighter controls than the Citabria was, the Citabria is just designed for more G force.  I'd love to get my hands on a nice 150 Aerobat.  ;D

Phil

fireflyr

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2006, 02:19:24 AM »

To date the most difficult and dangerous manuver I've ever done is a cross wind landing.  Low, slow and cross controlled all at the same time, talk about a set up for a crash!  Aerobatics are only dangerous when done low.  Just keep lots of sky under you and you'll be fine.

Incidently, my Cessna 150 is actually far more manuverable, with lighter controls than the Citabria was, the Citabria is just designed for more G force.  I'd love to get my hands on a nice 150 Aerobat.  ;D

Phil
Phil, I've only flown a Citabria a couple of times and I had my wife with me so 30% bank turns were about the max but I have done some aerobatics in a Decathlon and a 150 Aerobat.  Liked them both, the inverted work in the Decathlon was better but I can't really comment on the controls.
Being  low, slow, and cross controlled isn't dangerous if you're paying attention to airspeed.

Offline happylanding

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2006, 09:30:54 PM »
Happy, I was fortunate enough to learn to fly in a Citabria 7GCBC and get some entry level aerobatics in the mix.  So I've done spins, loops, wingovers and lots of different unusual additude training manuvers. 

Phil, that's a good point of view! I won't start saying it at home loud by the way, otherwise my parents change their ideas about me go flying and prefer me at home......knitting! :) :) I was to the airport yesterday and talked to an instructor of the school where I learnt flying. it could be that during this August, but more probably in September, he can give me the needed lessons to have an extension on the Pilatus P3. that means, in my plan, that I will after have a retractable gear and "not fixed" propeller (what's the right name?!?!? variable pitch, pace??!? no idea about the translation, sorry!) on an interesting aircraft. and a first step to build up for aerobatics extension, that will come as soon as I can pay for it! :) :)
I give that landing a 9 . . . on the Richter scale.

Offline tundra_flier

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2006, 04:11:58 PM »
Being  low, slow, and cross controlled isn't dangerous if you're paying attention to airspeed.

You didn't see the cross wind landing I made at the end of my solo cross country. Almost got really ugly, only saving grace was that I had a dirt runway to use.  I'd have ground looped that one hard if it'd been tarmack.  Wind was 17kts perpendicular to the runway, with gusts above that.  Had to taxi back with the brakes as the gusts kept unlocking the tailwheel.  Compared to that, spins and loops are easy!   ;)

Phil

Offline cj5_pilot

• Rooster
  • "Fly Fast, Fly Low, Turn Left"
    • Alaskan Aviators
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2006, 11:47:01 PM »
Go for it.  It will really teach you about your airplane.  I was lucky enough to spend 45 minutes in a T-6 and do some aerobatics (video posted in the interesting video thread) and I LOVED it!  I've hung my headsets up (sorta) for a bit while I decide what direction I want to go with jobs and such, but I plan to get more formal instruction in aerobatics.  There is a guy in Anchorage with a Super Dec that does aerobatic instruction.  His company name is "Unusual Attitudes"  ;D  The book "Emergency Manuever Training" by Rich Stowell is an excellent primer.  It discusses in detail how to do the manuevers as well as the forces involved, etc.  It's a bit technical in places but not to bad.  Tundra gave me a copy for Christmas a few years back.

As for what aircraft I'd want, well that's a tough choice.  There are plenty of Aerobats and Citabria and Decathalons out there, but I'd like something...sportier.  Until Tundra told me Rans quit producing kits I was looking at the S-9 Chaos and the S-10 Sakota. 

http://www.rans.com/s-9.htm
http://www.rans.com/s-10.htm

The average pilot, despite the sometimes swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy and caring. These feelings just don't involve anyone else.

Offline Turbomallard

• Rooster
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2006, 12:07:13 AM »
When Rans announced the discontinuance of those and other models a while back, they also stated that they still had some kits still available... you may want to contact them and ask. Can't hurt! If they ever put the S-11 into production, I'd be drooling... but it's probably never going to see the light of day again. Sigh.

TM
"Do not read this signature under penalty of law."

Offline cj5_pilot

• Rooster
  • "Fly Fast, Fly Low, Turn Left"
    • Alaskan Aviators
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2006, 12:44:04 AM »
I had thought of calling to see if any where left available.  But if I bought the kit right now my wife would kill me--I haven't finished the tub swap on the CJ-7 yet and she's really happy I just sold the CJ-5  :'(  After I get that tub on and the -7 back on the road MAYBE I could sneak a kit in to the garage before she shoots me  ;)  And she's pretty good with that S&W 686!
The average pilot, despite the sometimes swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy and caring. These feelings just don't involve anyone else.

Offline Turbomallard

• Rooster
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2006, 01:27:01 AM »
On the contrary, this turn of events gives you the perfect excuse!!! If you're going to get one of these, the time is NOW before they run out...  ;D

Back to the basement to see if the vertical stab skin fits on the framework I just completed... gulp.

TM
"Do not read this signature under penalty of law."

Offline tundra_flier

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2006, 05:47:54 AM »
I had thought of calling to see if any where left available.  But if I bought the kit right now my wife would kill me--I haven't finished the tub swap on the CJ-7 yet and she's really happy I just sold the CJ-5  :'(  After I get that tub on and the -7 back on the road MAYBE I could sneak a kit in to the garage before she shoots me  ;)  And she's pretty good with that S&W 686!

Just tell her all the money you saved since it was a "discontinued, clearance price".  ;)

Offline kkrummy1

« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2006, 05:44:06 PM »
As you can see from my avitar I love aerobatics both in the "real thing" and flying R/C.  Anything you can do, which will make you more familiar with the aircraft, is GOOD!
As to the Red Bull thing, I had an interesting experience a few months back. I was asked to do an aerobatics demo at the Radio Control air races in Ohio and took my R/C Extra 330S up to do the show.  Red Bull was one of the sponsors so I had a couple of them before the demo.  The demo went well, which is to say I didn't scare myself too bad, but as I flew the landing pattern my thumb began to shake uncontrollably!  I aborted the approach went up and did a couple of rolls to calm myself down and then landed normally.  Haven't had it happen since, and havn't had a Red Bull since.  Wonder if I was suffering form a caffiene high?  Any thoughts? ???

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2006, 09:58:14 PM »
Red Bull has a LOT of stuff in it.  Read the ingredients list sometime and you might not ever drink one again.   The top 5 ingredients are either types of sugar or caffiene IIRC.     I had a few sips of one once and didn't like it and it made me feel weird...
"Well I know what's right, I got just one life
In a world that keeps on pushin' me around
But I stand my ground, and I won't back down"
  -Johnny Cash "I won't back Down"

Offline Gulfstream Driver

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2006, 08:22:47 PM »
I think you REALLY have to like caffeine in order to drink that stuff.
Behind every great man, there is a woman rolling her eyes.  --Bruce Almighty