Author Topic: aerobatics  (Read 22120 times)

Offline happylanding

• Alpha Rooster
aerobatics
« on: June 02, 2006, 07:20:30 PM »
Hello boys!

I've a question for you tonight. As you may have read, I have a ppl license and a ngt extension and around 125 hrs (either pic or double, should be 65/60).
Do you think that's too early to try for an aerobatic license? Has anyone among you done it? Is pure madness to try it after the PPL? is it better to have more experience? is it useful other than pure fun?

Wait for your ideas!!! :D :D :D :D

I give that landing a 9 . . . on the Richter scale.

Offline Roland

• Cockerel
Re: aerobatics
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2006, 07:33:23 PM »
I’m not flying, but: what are you waiting for? If you want to do aerobatics just go for it. How long do you want (or consider) to wait? 150 hrs? 250 hrs? 372 hrs? You can fly so go have fun. That’s what it is all about.
If helicopter flying would be difficult, engineers would do it.

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2006, 05:03:33 AM »
I’m not flying, but: what are you waiting for? If you want to do aerobatics just go for it. How long do you want (or consider) to wait? 150 hrs? 250 hrs? 372 hrs? You can fly so go have fun. That’s what it is all about.

I'd like to second that. If anything you'll learn more about flying that way than flying around in circles and/or for lunch somewhere going straight and level.... ;)
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

Offline happylanding

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2006, 11:33:24 AM »

I'd like to second that. If anything you'll learn more about flying that way than flying around in circles and/or for lunch somewhere going straight and level.... ;)

Yeah, that's sure! But I was wondering if it was not premature.....like, say, running formula 1 after 1 hr you have the car license, something alike, you see?!?!?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2006, 01:09:39 PM by happylanding »

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2006, 01:16:47 PM »
Lol, F1 after 1 hrs driving, good one, but highly exagerated I'd say. Aerobatics can easily be done in less than a Extra 300 but with everything it's something that should be done with a skilled, responsible and friendly instructor, find one and take it from there, we all have to start at the beginning. I do think it could be good to learn where the limits are so you (any pilot) can know his/her plane better and be more confident and less worried about not being prepared in case of a unforseen incident.

Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Roland

• Cockerel
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2006, 09:26:51 PM »
@ happy: I’m afraid you’ve got the wrong idea about aerobatics. This is not Frecce Tri Colore only. Aerobatics is done in gliders as well. And that is not really Formula 1 in aviation, is it? Aerobatics is something different to so called normal flying. And I think you should go for it. On whatever plane. Try it on a Blanik glider. Its hard enough. To do aerobatics you don’t need a Extra 300 on the first place.
If helicopter flying would be difficult, engineers would do it.

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2006, 10:26:36 PM »
@ happy: I’m afraid you’ve got the wrong idea about aerobatics. This is not Frecce Tri Colore only. Aerobatics is done in gliders as well. And that is not really Formula 1 in aviation, is it? Aerobatics is something different to so called normal flying. And I think you should go for it. On whatever plane. Try it on a Blanik glider. Its hard enough. To do aerobatics you don’t need a Extra 300 on the first place.

Well as long as we're comparing: An Extra would be like a Formula 1 car and probably not the best to start with.

How about some loops and rolls in a Decathlon or something to start off easy...

...and then you can work your way into the BO105 slowly but surely.... ;)

Offline happylanding

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2006, 09:58:55 AM »

Well as long as we're comparing: An Extra would be like a Formula 1 car and probably not the best to start with.

How about some loops and rolls in a Decathlon or something to start off easy...

...and then you can work your way into the BO105 slowly but surely.... ;)

Mates, it's highly possible that I've a wrong idea: all could depend from the fact that the only time I went with a pilot who was doing it, I just had 1 hr logged and still could not “understand” flight, so the pilot – in my mind – was a………wizard. Then when I asked the people in the school where I did my PPL, they immediately said “gorgeous idea to do an aerobatic extension, gives you more familiarity with the aircraft”, and I thought it was just pure……marketing. And 3rd when I told my parents (with whom I still live, considered that I finished the studies one month ago) about the desire of doing it, they went crazy mad, saying it was out of discussion til “…….forever or maybe ten years, when you will have enough skills!”, because it is highly dangerous. At the end, you all confirm me this, my point of view got lost, blurred. On my side I just remember that the day I was inside the cockpit, while the pilot was doing it, I never felt so free (like being part of a world you’re not supposed to belong to…..I do not know if anyone among you ever tried scuba diving, but one think is being just underwater breathing, another thing is swimming with mantas and turtles…but the idea is this one, more or less) and never had so much fun. At the end I did not know anymore who was right……..and if I was just being stubborn and careless as my parents thought….  :) :) :) :) :)

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2006, 11:06:00 AM »
Just for the record, I was the one that mentioned the Extra 300 and that was actually to say that she could indeed start gently with aerobatics, meaning that she could start with it on a low level and work up from there so she shouldn't worry about not having enough hours, as long as the instructor was good. You can do racing in a 1.4 Peugeot if you will, you're not going to win at Le Mans but you can still drive a race, or rather rally, there are several 106 1.4's doing small local rally-races here. I hope I've explained my post that was intended to be helpful.

Btw Happy, in case you wonder why Mike mentioned a BO105 and you haven't already, then look at the helicopter stunt-video I posted in the forum and you'll see what one of those can do :D

Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline happylanding

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2006, 11:31:37 AM »

Btw Happy, in case you wonder why Mike mentioned a BO105 and you haven't already, then look at the helicopter stunt-video I posted in the forum and you'll see what one of those can do :D

Frank

Frank, I'm looking for it, but I can't find it. :(
Isn't it a risk, BTW? Doesn't it mean that after having seen it I will think also about getting a helicopter license?!?!?!?!?
I'm quite excitable when it comes to flight, you know?!?!?!?!  :) :) :) :)

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2006, 11:35:52 AM »
Third thread from the top of the aviation forum: http://www.chickenwingscomics.com/forum/index.php?topic=101.0

True about the risks of watching the video, but you know what a great damper is? Not having money! (I don't know wether to put a laughing or crying smilie here since there are both good and awful sides to this).

Frank
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline happylanding

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2006, 12:51:04 PM »
HAHA!! that's right.........a good way to remember me I must find a work ASAP, since my student's life is actually over!  :) :) :) :)

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2006, 09:39:39 PM »
Did I tell you guys that Red Bull here in the US bought two of those BO105's and is now trying to get an aerobatics team together to show this off in the states as well?
I translated a bunch of stuff for them from German to English because they had to prove to the FAA that this is normal to do in this type of aircraft. I am friends with the guy who will fly them in the show and put this program together for them.
And his name is.... naturally...
>
>
>
>CHUCK !!!      HA HA ! :D

We are making a decal of our Chuck for him because he wants to put it on the pilot side door!! Cool, huh?!
Chuck actually went to Germany to train with the pilot you see in the video. Obviously he was very imressed with the guys skills and what the machine can do....

Offline happylanding

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2006, 07:34:52 PM »
Did I tell you guys that Red Bull here in the US bought two of those BO105's and is now trying to get an aerobatics team together to show this off in the states as well?
I translated a bunch of stuff for them from German to English because they had to prove to the FAA that this is normal to do in this type of aircraft. I am friends with the guy who will fly them in the show and put this program together for them.
And his name is.... naturally...
>
>
>
>CHUCK !!!      HA HA ! :D

We are making a decal of our Chuck for him because he wants to put it on the pilot side door!! Cool, huh?!
Chuck actually went to Germany to train with the pilot you see in the video. Obviously he was very imressed with the guys skills and what the machine can do....

HAHA! that's for sure a must see! And a wonderful promo, for sure!!! But are you kidding or was I misunderstood??? You also mean that the pilot's name (in real life at least) is Chuck? BTW, is there some pilot here also addicted to RedBull (what you drink I mean?!?) or is it just a student's wake up..............mixture!?!?!

Offline SteepTurn

• Cockerel
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2006, 08:24:19 PM »
BTW, is there some pilot here also addicted to RedBull (what you drink I mean?!?) or is it just a student's wake up..............mixture!?!?!

RedBull? Never ever! I hate this stuff!!! Probably I'm too old for this 8)

But I hope to own one day my plane to put on something from chickenwing!!!!!!!
for climbing --> pull ** for decending --> continue pulling