Author Topic: O/T Hobbies  (Read 8302 times)

Offline vldflight

• Cockerel
Re: O/T Hobbies
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2011, 12:03:07 PM »
We use Flight Simulator X from microsoft.  The actual fire scenery we design ourselves and then with a little addon we can drop fire retardant for aircraft,  I use the C-130 and a Bell with the Bambi bucket.  Loads of fun.

C-7 and smoke jumpers

Its pretty fun and as close as us computer pilots will ever get to the real thing.

Offline 4X-NTY

• Rooster
  • Everythings is alright
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2011, 03:01:42 PM »
Is that Captain Sim's C-130?
Nitay "Pitz" Ronen

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2011, 04:38:07 PM »
What do you mean you design the fire scenery yourself?
You can program your own stuff into the FlightSim?
Like fire intensity, wind direction (and accordingly drift for the retardant), and the water you throw from the sky?? ??

that's cool!
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

Offline G-man

• Alpha Rooster
  • Cogito sumere potum alterum.
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2011, 05:50:53 PM »
What do you mean you design the fire scenery yourself?
You can program your own stuff into the FlightSim?
Like fire intensity, wind direction (and accordingly drift for the retardant), and the water you throw from the sky?? ??

that's cool!

Oh....here we go....I can just see FG in Boise getting a hold of it and making it a contract requirement.............
Life may not be the party we hoped for---but while we're here--we might as well dance..........

Offline Oddball

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
  • I crash better than anybody I know
    • Myspace profile
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2011, 06:18:19 PM »
think I've seen the parachutist add ons and seen some water bomber add ons for F\S 2004............had two versions of Broncos.
"You can teach monkeys to fly better than that!"and "spring chicken to sh**e hawk in one easy lesson"

Offline vldflight

• Cockerel
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2011, 11:42:09 PM »
We use the OA-10's for forward observers.  It takes some doing, but we have now managed to be able to place the fire anywhere we want, it will react to real world weather which is available in the flight sim.  And yes thats Captain Sims model, I love it.  The smoke jumpers I found on a site, someone else did them but it works great, you get too low and you don't see no chutes, lol.  I am trying to convert my favorite, the B-17, into a fire plane now, they were actually used up in Canada for years.  Thanks for the interest.

Offline madpilot44

• Cockerel
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2011, 12:04:37 AM »
Hobbies? Guitar, amateur photography, music, getting myself in trouble, doing things that may sound stupid to the average person, and of course, anything aviation related.

I saw that X-plane actually has fires already programmed in, and you can use a CL-215 that works. I haven't had a bunch of time to try it, but it really looks good. I want to try it with a bambi bucket though.
To most people, the sky is the limit. To those who love aviation, the sky is home.

Offline meganite

• Semper Vigilans
    • My website
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2011, 02:01:48 AM »
Play video games. Definitely.

Actually I rarely play video games anymore, I've substituted my aviation interests for that aspect of my life. But I still design websites and do a bit of art... http://meganbednarz.deviantart.com

Oh and I'm thinking of making stuff, mad science inventions and whatnot, but I don't have any space to work since I'm still living with my parents. Guarantee that when I get an apartment, I'll convert the living room to a lab ;)

Other various things include rock climbing, swimming, and laser tag.

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2011, 02:28:04 AM »
Play video games. Definitely.

Actually I rarely play video games anymore, I've substituted my aviation interests for that aspect of my life. But I still design websites and do a bit of art... http://meganbednarz.deviantart.com

Oh and I'm thinking of making stuff, mad science inventions and whatnot, but I don't have any space to work since I'm still living with my parents. Guarantee that when I get an apartment, I'll convert the living room to a lab ;)

Other various things include rock climbing, swimming, and laser tag.

laser tag rocks!! Go Barney Stinson ! !   ::wave::

Hey, how tight are you with the "Deviant Art" guys?
I took a bunch of them on a helicopter tour all over LA last fall. Quite the fun bunch! We buzzed their building and they were all excited.....
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

Offline tundra_flier

• Alpha Rooster
  • It's not an old plane, it's a classic!
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2011, 03:26:25 AM »
Well, I used to have a salt water reef aquarium, complete with live corals, but I had to give it away because of my new job.  Being away from home for 4 weeks at a time, that just wasn't maintainable.  But I'll be useing some of my R&R time to visit some real reefs instead.  I want to get dive certified as part of that.

Other than that, it's mostly just home improvements and occasional bit of fishing and hunting.  Recreational aviation is a jealous mistress after all.  ;)

Phil

Offline Oddball

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
  • I crash better than anybody I know
    • Myspace profile
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2011, 07:15:00 PM »
Where to begin?

building/flying R/C models,table top war games,flight sims (F/S 2004),mountain biking,cross country/Telemark skiing, rebuilding Land Rovers, plane spotting, mountaineering.

If I can remember any more I'll add them.
"You can teach monkeys to fly better than that!"and "spring chicken to sh**e hawk in one easy lesson"

Offline Artoo

« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2011, 04:38:19 AM »
motorcycling, bowling, piano, reading, knitting.
Stay on target!