Author Topic: Man I Love Snow  (Read 2512 times)

Offline Rooster Cruiser

• Alpha Rooster
  • Retired Chicken Hauler
Man I Love Snow
« on: December 21, 2010, 05:20:36 PM »
You summed it up very nicely Stef!  When I was a charter pilot I would have days EXACTLY like this! 

Snow is lovely to watch coming down, but when you have to fly in it the snow obscures not only the ground beneath you but also the clouds it comes from.  It is within those clouds that the real terror lies... ICE!   ::eek::  Not really a problem if you are in a turbojet or turboprop where you just punch through it on your way to higher (ice free) altitudes, but if you are in a non-pressurized piston airplane you have to slog through it.  Then you get to hunt and peck your way up and down a couple thousand feet at a time... searching for an ice-free zone, praying your deice boots are working properly (if installed) and hoping you don't find a layer of freezing rain that'll coat your entire airplane in a lift-destroying glaze.

Even when everything works, you may find conditions so bad that your airplane will no longer climb.  Now is the time you wished you had called in sick and stayed home in bed, or at least told the boss to go to hell.   ::banghead::

Good stuff fellas!   |:)\

RC
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 08:16:47 AM by Rooster Cruiser »
"Me 'n Earl was haulin' chickens / On a flatbed outta Wiggins..."

Wolf Creek Pass, by CW McCall

Offline Cpt. Blade

Re: Man I Love Snow
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 06:01:56 PM »
At least you lucky guys actually see snow in the winter! What about we poor souls down here in Brazil? The only way I can see snow around here is if the global climate suffers some really catastrophic changes... otherwise, it's 365 days of sweating, even during the winter.

Good comic, though. I couldn't help but remember the TV show Ice Pilots NWT, where they have to clean the wings of DC-4s and C-46s with brooms - I think that de-icing a Skyhawk's wing would be a breeze compared to those!
Behold, the only three phrases a co-pilot is ever allowed to say: "nice landing, captain"; "it was the wind, captain"; "the fat girl is mine, captain".

Offline Oddball

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
  • I crash better than anybody I know
    • Myspace profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 09:25:03 PM »
Thats why I'll stick to flying the R/C models.............no de-icer  :P .But the castor oil from the exhaust is a right pain in the bahookie to remove  ::knockedout::
"You can teach monkeys to fly better than that!"and "spring chicken to sh**e hawk in one easy lesson"

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 12:05:38 AM »
We're not getting snow here in LA but it's been raining non-stop since last Wednesday. On Friday we looked at the big picture and saw that band of weather goes all the way to Hawaii.
Had to cancel our whole training until further notice and 4 flights becuase we can't make it out of the valley.....

just as bad as snow....
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.