Author Topic: TSA what's next?  (Read 11321 times)

Offline Rooster Cruiser

• Alpha Rooster
  • Retired Chicken Hauler
Re: TSA what's next?
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2010, 03:50:40 PM »
Ah, c'mon Stef!  Tell us how you really feel!   ;D ;D ;D

Unfortunately, I am in 100% agreement with you.

RC
"Me 'n Earl was haulin' chickens / On a flatbed outta Wiggins..."

Wolf Creek Pass, by CW McCall

Offline YawningMan

• Cockerel
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2010, 04:05:37 PM »
I haven't been on an airline flight since 2002. That was before the TSA stepped up their game in this kind of thing.

I think if I really had to fly versus drive, I would consider chartering a flight or something. I don't know, there's got to be some kind of alternative.

Offline Rooster Cruiser

• Alpha Rooster
  • Retired Chicken Hauler
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2010, 05:45:25 PM »
I don't know if this is for real or not, but I gotta share it with you all just for the humor of the incident!

http://www.deadseriousnews.com/?p=573

RC

Offline Stef

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
    • Chicken Wings
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2010, 06:28:51 PM »
I don't know if this is for real or not, but I gotta share it with you all just for the humor of the incident!

http://www.deadseriousnews.com/?p=573

RC

Haha! Well, if it's not invented, and the guy's name really is "Cummings" ...  ::rofl::

Edit: Just noted at the bottom of the website: "All Rights Reserved Powered by Bovine Excrement"  ;D
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 06:30:49 PM by Stef »

Offline Rooster Cruiser

• Alpha Rooster
  • Retired Chicken Hauler
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2010, 06:33:40 PM »
Dang, I missed that Stef.  Good eye!   ::bow::

RC

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2010, 09:48:14 PM »
Ok so, I just flew from BUR to LAS with Southwest, and if you remember Burbank just had that incident with the full magazine found in the seat pocket:

I got padded down, had some sort of a "Random Shoe Check" done to my shoes (I thought it was a joke at first), AND had my toothpaste taken away AGAIN!!  ::complaining: ::complaining:

What makes it more interesting is that I flew in the day before with a helicopter and in that aircraft the toothpaste didn't seem to cause much of a stir or make much of a difference.
Oh well.....
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

Offline Stef

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
    • Chicken Wings
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2010, 03:12:03 PM »
This here's for all who say "well, then I just won't fly anymore":

TSA at bus stops: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VGz7VJs3u0

And it's all made to sound oh so reasonable... Well, then we'll soon have checkpoints at subway stations, scanners at courthouses, and they even have huge x-ray machines where they want to make you drive through with your car. Starting out at border checkpoints, soon to be seen on a road near you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fn8XmyUVenU

EDIT: Oh, and I forgot to mention what's one of the most annoying points about all this: We all PAY for this with our taxes!!!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 03:14:18 PM by Stef »

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2010, 10:57:58 PM »
Have you ever heard of the quote by Douglas Manuel, aerospace executive regards airport security, reported in USA Today, 13 March 2003:
"Every time I fly and am forced to remove my shoes, I'm grateful Richard Reid is not known as the Underwear Bomber."
Not so funny now after we HAD an underwear bomber and they're peeking into our underwear, huh?!

Offline Stef

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
    • Chicken Wings
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2010, 10:05:21 AM »
Yeah, looking forward to the first anus bomber!  ::sick::  ::loony::

Offline madpilot44

• Cockerel
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2010, 03:12:02 PM »
Stef, you know how sometimes you click the "look at the new post" button, and it takes a while to remember what the conversation was about?... yeah, I don't think i'm gonna do that again for a while, thanks to you. That woke me the heck up real quick. Thankfully, I wasn't drinking coffee at that exact instant, otherwise, I'd be cleaning my keyboard  ::rofl:: ::rofl::
To most people, the sky is the limit. To those who love aviation, the sky is home.

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
Re: TSA ... it's not all bad!
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2010, 06:20:46 PM »
Check this out, some accounts read like a love novel!
 ::rofl::

Without warning, he reached down and I felt his strong, calloused hands
start at my ankles, gently probing and moving upward along my calves,
slowly, but steadily. My breath caught in my throat.

I knew I should be afraid, but somehow I didn't care. His touch was so
experienced, so sure.

When his hands moved up onto my thighs, I gave a slight shudder, and I
partly closed my eyes. My pulse was pounding. I felt his knowing
fingers caress my abdomen, my ribcage. And then, as he cupped my firm, full

breasts in his hands, I inhaled sharply.

Probing, searching, knowing what he wanted, he brought his hands to my
shoulders, slid them down my tingling spine and into my panties.

Although I knew nothing about this man, I felt oddly trusting and
expectant. This is a man, I thought. A man used to taking charge. A man
not used
to taking "no" for an answer A man who would tell me what he wanted. A
man
who would look into my soul and say . . . . .

"Okay, ma'am," said a voice "All done."

My eyes snapped open and he was standing in front of me, smiling, holding
out my purse. "You can board your flight now."

Offline Stef

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
    • Chicken Wings
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2010, 10:34:59 AM »
Here's an interesting video related to the subject:

http://bcove.me/trmr0iep

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2010, 08:22:12 PM »

Not sure how to feel about that video....   ::thinking::
I like what the newscaster says right at the end. He's pointing out flaws and he's pointing out flaws everybody knows about already. It's not like a terrorist is going to see the video and go "Oh! There you go! Here is a gate we can use, thanks for bringing this to our attention!". I don't know what the TSA's deal is, really. Are they related to the IRS?
Can they just arbitrarily arrest people and take their guns away? Just for pointing out they have one on them? Everybody knows a lot of pilots carry guns now.....

Offline Rooster Cruiser

• Alpha Rooster
  • Retired Chicken Hauler
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2010, 05:34:12 PM »

This is precisely my point:  We do not have airport security in the USA, we have airport security THEATER!  Billions spent blockading the front door yet the side door of the house is left open.  The end result is 67,000 government employees which us taxpayers have to pay for PLUS the equipment manufacturers that are fleecing the federal gov't for their useless machines, etc. ad naseum   ::sick::  Meantime, Al Qaeda is devising other new ways to find the endless chinks in the armor.  They call this "killing by a thousand paper cuts."  Very effective against a knee-jerk reactionary bureaucracy.

RC

Offline Rooster Cruiser

• Alpha Rooster
  • Retired Chicken Hauler
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2011, 03:05:06 AM »
I just read this blog on Forbes.com questioning the need for Dept of Homeland Security or TSA.  He makes a solid case that these government departments actually make us LESS safe.

Just more Homeland Security Theater...
RC

http://blogs.forbes.com/artcarden/2011/01/21/do-we-need-a-department-of-homeland-security-or-a-tsa/

The new Republican House of Representatives took office amidst much fanfare about the US Constitution and respecting Constitutional limits on government.  I have suggested that if they are really serious about it, they will start by abolishing the Transportation Security Administration.  Not much has changed in the last few weeks.  Indeed, we can do without the whole “Homeland Security” charade.

Defenders of the Department of Homeland Security and TSA ask whether we are willing to sacrifice safety and security to avoid being inconvenienced. There is no evidence that this works.  I have said it before and I will say it again: the data suggest that if anything, the TSA actually costs lives.

No doubt, there are plenty of people who heartily endorse increasingly-invasive measures employed by the Department of Homeland Security and the Transportation Security Administration because it makes them feel safe.  That feeling of safety is an illusion.  As Bruce Schneier and others have pointed out, the entire operation is “security theater” that costs us time and money while leaving us no safer. As Wikileaks is showing us, an opaque government saying “just trust us” is not to be trusted.

In spite of the evidence, the national security state gets larger and more invasive.  In a truly creepy turn of events, the DHS is trying to deputize all of us into a nationwide spy network and enlisting the power of Walmart to do it.  As someone whose research interests include the effects of Walmart and the political economy of institutions, I can’t help but wonder which combination of carrots and sticks motivated such “patriotism.”

Future generations will look back on the early twenty-first century security state as an interesting exercise in the triumph of politics over everything, including peace, prosperity, and safety. In a recent Foreign Policy essay, Anne Applebaum adds to the cloud of witnesses testifying that Homeland Security is an expensive sham. Most specifically, she points out how homeland security spending is a gigantic pork barrel with political considerations exercising undue influence over how the money is spent.

Applebaum offers as one example the million dollars of Homeland Security money that funded an “emergency operations center” in tiny Poynette, Wisconsin. I have nothing against the people of Poynette, but it is almost certainly a less inviting target than a major metropolitan area like New York or Boston. Applebaum points out–correctly–that a dollar spent on a Poynette emergency operations center probably delivers a lot less Homeland Security than a dollar spent in New York or Boston.  The million dollars spent in Poynette is a million dollars that can’t be spent elsewhere.  All else equal, we should spend our homeland security dollars addressing the greatest risks.

Critics of President Obama’s health care proposal have questioned it on Constitutional grounds. Others have decried the practice of voting on legislation before it is read.  Commentators on the right made sport of Democrats’ claim that legislation had to be passed so that we can find out what is in it, and yet if there is an example of “pass it to find out what is in it” legislation, it is the PATRIOT Act, which was passed by near-unanimous votes in a Republican-controlled House of Representatives and a Senate in which the Democrats only held a one-seat majority.  It was signed by a Republican President.

The Department of Homeland Security and the TSA are clear examples of trading something to get–not nothing, but actually less than nothing because they actual imperil our safety.  If we are serious about the Constitution and serious about security, we will get rid of them.