Author Topic: Super Special Noise Reduction  (Read 3273 times)

Offline 4X-NTY

• Rooster
  • Everythings is alright
Super Special Noise Reduction
« on: October 14, 2010, 07:33:41 PM »
What wouldn't I give for those kind of headphones with 3.5 mm PL connection...
Nitay "Pitz" Ronen

Offline Rooster Cruiser

• Alpha Rooster
  • Retired Chicken Hauler
Re: Super Special Noise Reduction
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 11:02:13 PM »
Most of the PC-12's and Citations I fly have Bose headsets hard wired into them.  They're OK unless you're flying longer than two hours with sunglasses.  It's about then that I start to get headaches from them. 

I have been in New Orleans flying this old C172RG for the past two weeks, and I had to bring my own set with me.  What do I have?  A good old David Clark HT10-40 I bought way back in 1986 or 1987.  They fit fine, and I don't mind a little background noise.  I actually prefer them to active noise reduction headsets.  I have always felt that the ANR's removed too much noise from the cockpit.  They could conceivably mask the sounds of strange noises coming from the engine that would give advance warning of trouble.

All I have ever had to do to them is replace the old foam padded earcups with gelseals.  Not bad for 23 to 24 year old headsets!

Now Julio could have made a few comments about Chuck's parentage or some such, but methinks that would be an inappropriate remark for this strip.  Another great one guys!   |:)\

RC
"Me 'n Earl was haulin' chickens / On a flatbed outta Wiggins..."

Wolf Creek Pass, by CW McCall

Offline Louis

Re: Super Special Noise Reduction
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 05:16:45 AM »
I have always felt that the ANR's removed too much noise from the cockpit.  They could conceivably mask the sounds of strange noises coming from the engine that would give advance warning of trouble.

ANR headsets won't mask "unusual" engine sounds by design. They simply send out an inverted sound to cancel out the one one coming from your engine.

You'll still hear everything, though not as loud. There may be some "optimization" done for regular continuous engine sounds, but that's about it, and wouldn't cover clicks, clanks and other glitches a faulty engine would give as early warning of an impending failure.

Plus if your model is anything like mine (DC 10-13X) there's an On/Off switch you can use in any doubt.

I don't quite get the part about sunglasses hurting. Are the arms too thick? If so, wouldn't that problem recur with any headset of a given shape?