Author Topic: Maldivian Air Taxi  (Read 6020 times)

Offline SteepTurn

• Cockerel
Maldivian Air Taxi
« on: May 30, 2006, 11:46:00 AM »
My best flight expirience was the flight with  Maldivian Air Taxi. They use DeHavillard Twin Otters. Of course I had to sit in the first row, to see what's going on in the cockpit. One of the best thng on this 20-minutes-flight have been the saftey instructions. It was a boy of about 10 years who you suppose to see everywhere in your beach-holiday asking you some bucks, but not telling you how to get out of this airplane in case of emergency.... It was quit funny, because in a 15-seat airplane you should find the exit also without instruction....
My girlfriend was very excited and happy when we flew over all this small island ("look over there!!" -  "Wow, have you seen this beautiful island?"... and stuff like this). Obviousely I didn't have no time to look outside, because I had to have a look in the cockpit to see what was going on there...
Anyway, it was one of my best expirience... also if I only was a passenger... :P

www.maltaxi.com
for climbing --> pull ** for decending --> continue pulling

Offline Roland

• Cockerel
Re: Maldivian Air Taxi
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2006, 01:33:45 PM »
In Nigeria I was supposed to travel several times from Port Harcourt to Warri and back by Tw’Otter. The trips lasted for an hour or so, sometimes through heavy monsoon rain. Then there was a lot of praying on board, the wings where clapping, the engines moaning and heavy rain slashing to the airframe. Clouds everywhere. The aircraft was packed with stuff from the Nigerians which was flying around in the cabin. My toolbox was well shaken afterwards. Nice trips that. So one kept the seatbelt closed during the entire flight and … tight. ;)

But due to the Tw’Otter I always felt save (not so due the pilots, not always).
If helicopter flying would be difficult, engineers would do it.

Offline Gulfstream Driver

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2006, 05:19:12 PM »
I read a few years ago that the RCMP was giving up on the Twin Otter for search and rescue and going with the PC-12.  Never understood the reasoning behind that move.
Behind every great man, there is a woman rolling her eyes.  --Bruce Almighty

Offline Africaspotter

• Aviation and airports in Southern Africa
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2007, 05:54:20 AM »
I also went for a flight on the Maldivian Air Taxi ten years ago. I loved it! What a great experience!! I heard they are introducing seaplanes in Sri Lanka a lot recently. So it seems my next two holidays are already planned...

Cheers,

Felix
Africaspotter - Aviation and airports in Southern Africa http://www.africaspotter.at.tt
New: African Aviation Forum at http://www.africa.cwsurf.de/Forum

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2007, 10:36:42 PM »
I know a guy who flies those gigs -- said the best part is flying in shorts and flip-flops, but the downside is being trapped on a Muslim island..  nowhere to go and not the freest society....   :-\
Don't make me come back there!!!!