Author Topic: Comics for week 41+42  (Read 8776 times)

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
Comics for week 41+42
« on: October 22, 2010, 06:25:43 PM »
"Unshackled and Free"
Seriosly, I think a B2 is a nicer stealth-plane but last I heard they're still in use whereas the F-117 has been totally retired now so maybe Chuck is dreaming about getting one at a surplus sale :D (like that's ever going to be sold off).

"Nice approach"
Great line, simply perfect!  ::bow:: Have you started work on that book of come-on lines and rebuttles which I suggested earlier? It could be a great book for both him and her :D

"4 things you never want to hear on a long-distance flight..."
You know, maybe it's just me but I'd be more scared by #3 :D

"Not a big deal"
HAHAHAHAHAHA  ::rofl:: ::rofl:: Oh that was great! ::bow:: |:)\

Great work, so many years on and still funny |:)\

Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
Re: Comics for week 41+42
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 07:42:30 PM »
"Unshackled and Free"
Seriosly, I think a B2 is a nicer stealth-plane but last I heard they're still in use whereas the F-117 has been totally retired now so maybe Chuck is dreaming about getting one at a surplus sale :D (like that's ever going to be sold off).

"4 things you never want to hear on a long-distance flight..."
You know, maybe it's just me but I'd be more scared by #3 :D

Frank

They retired the F-117 already? Really?
What happened? I though this was the latest and greatest thing out there......
must not have paid attention (again)..... or maybe it's because I am more of a vintage fan.... (planes and submarines).....

and btw: #3 doesn't scare me all that much . .  .  ;) ;D
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

Offline 4X-NTY

• Rooster
  • Everythings is alright
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 11:34:53 PM »
#3 in long flights is my dream!
Nitay "Pitz" Ronen

Offline Ragwing

• Rooster
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2010, 02:26:35 AM »
They retired the F-117 already? Really?
What happened? I though this was the latest and greatest thing out there......
must not have paid attention (again)..... or maybe it's because I am more of a vintage fan.... (planes and submarines).....
1981 - First flight of the Lockheed F-117 Nighthawk.
1983 - Initial operating capability.
1988 - Acknowledged and revealed to the public.
2008 (April 22) Retired.

The Air Force retired the F-117 primarily due to the fielding of the F-22 Raptor and the impending fielding of the F-35 Lightning II.

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2010, 03:52:05 AM »
...hmmm...  ::thinking::

looks like there is still a lot of stuff I don't know.
I don't even know what a F-35 is....

am I getting old? did I stop picking up new things when the F-14 got retired?.....    ::knockedout::

Offline 4X-NTY

• Rooster
  • Everythings is alright
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2010, 11:25:46 AM »
The F-35 is just a high-tech Harrier  ;)
They're supposed to "recruit" to the IAF next year,probably will be based on the A model,along with the C-130J. I also heard that we're gonna buy either the Korean F-16, don't remember the model, or the Typhoon for advanced flight training.
Nitay "Pitz" Ronen

Offline Oddball

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
  • I crash better than anybody I know
    • Myspace profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2010, 11:56:56 AM »
The F-35 is meant to be the replacement for the Sea Harrier FRS2 and Harrier GR9's but with our defence budget cuts there will be no flying off our tow new carriers for a few years lol
"You can teach monkeys to fly better than that!"and "spring chicken to sh**e hawk in one easy lesson"

Offline madpilot44

• Cockerel
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2010, 05:53:38 PM »

The F-35 is the latest iteration of the "do-all" fighter/bomber concept. Its supposed to be stealthy, capable of air-to-air and air-to-ground missions, technologically advanced (it has cammeras all over the plane and the computer has this nice little thing it does, when the pilot is wearing his special helmet, he can look down and the computer projects an image of the ground on the helmet so that he can essentially look "through" his feet) and comes in different varieties: one conventional takeoff to substitute USAF F-16s and A-10s, one short takeoff, vertical landing version to substitute the USMC and British Harriers, and one carrier takeoff version to substitute the USN's legacy hornets. Pretty juicy contract, and thankfully the F-35 won it, otherwise you'd have the Boeing version...

Nova made a whole show of the selection process, which we got to see during our airplane design class. Very informational and very nice. It's on netflix also if you're interested and you don't want to wait for the torrent to download

http://www.aviapedia.com/fighters/f-22/battle-of-the-x-planes-film
To most people, the sky is the limit. To those who love aviation, the sky is home.

Offline Ragwing

• Rooster
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2010, 03:10:11 PM »
when the pilot is wearing his special helmet, he can look down and the computer projects an image of the ground on the helmet so that he can essentially look "through" his feet)
Oh,
You mean that sexy helmet that gals swoon over?

No Maverick here.

In 1988, McDonnell Douglas and General Dynamics won the US Navy Advanced Tactical Aircraft (ATA) contract. The $US4.83 billion contract was to develop the A-12 Avenger II, a stealthy, carrier-based, long range flying wing attack aircraft that would replace the A-6 Intruder. Technical issues, over 2 billion dollars in development cost overruns, growing unit costs, and continuous delays led to the termination of the program on January 13, 1991 by then Defense Secretary Dick Cheney.  A decade of litigation would proceed over the contract termination: the government claimed that the contractors had defaulted on the contract and were not entitled to a final 1.3 billion dollars in progress payments while McDonnell Douglas and General Dynamics believed that the contract was terminated out of convenience and thus the money was owed.

Following the end of the Cold War, the curtailment in military procurements combined with the loss of the contracts for two major projects: the Advanced Tactical Fighter and Joint Strike Fighter, severely hurt McDonnell Douglas. 

In the JAST later called the joint strike fighter competition, there were three companies:  Boeing, Lockheed Martin and McDonnell Douglas.  The military did not like the Northrop Grumman-McDonnell Douglas companies or it’s design.

In 1997, Boeing merged with McDonnell Douglas.  McDonnell Douglas management was very aggressive and essentially took over Boeing management.  One of the many programs affected was the Joint Strike Fighter.  A lot of the McDonnell Douglas design replaced the Boeing design.

The Lockheed-Martin design was more conventional and less advanced and was selected for production.

Boeing: 

Northrop Grumman-McDonnell Douglas:

Lockheed-Martin: 

« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 04:30:56 PM by Ragwing »

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2010, 04:34:41 PM »
Man, that is some ugly, creepy helmet. Luckily it's gonna be many moons until the technology will make it into helicopters...
Although a helmet that lets you look through your aircraft directly on the ground would come in very handy in fire aviation and long-lining!  ::sulk:: |:)\

So, this thing is flying already then?
I've only seen computer animations so far I believe......

Offline 4X-NTY

• Rooster
  • Everythings is alright
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2010, 06:07:06 PM »
It's flying, not sure if operational
Nitay "Pitz" Ronen

Offline Oddball

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
  • I crash better than anybody I know
    • Myspace profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2010, 08:31:58 PM »
The F-35 is still in testing and in weapons development as far as I know.  was looking as the JSF home page but the news section is unavailable   :-\
"You can teach monkeys to fly better than that!"and "spring chicken to sh**e hawk in one easy lesson"

Offline G-man

• Alpha Rooster
  • Cogito sumere potum alterum.
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2010, 11:20:15 PM »
Yep---they still got a bit more testing to do----this test pilot just found out that adrenaline is really brown..Talk about doing a loop:

Life may not be the party we hoped for---but while we're here--we might as well dance..........

Offline Ragwing

• Rooster
F-35 2010 Program Developments
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2010, 11:35:18 PM »
The F-35 flies..... Kind of.

December 2009, only 4 of 13 test aircraft had been delivered.

Total labor hours to build the aircraft had increased more than 50 percent.  Late deliveries hamper the development flight test program.

February 2010, Defense Secretary Robert M. Gates announced a restructuring in the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter office to provide increased oversight .  The restructure reflects completing system development and approving full-rate production is now expected in April 2016, about 2 ½ years later than planned.

We are looking at the first operational capacity November 2015.
The

Offline Ragwing

• Rooster
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2010, 03:56:37 AM »
G-man,

That is a computer simulation that has been around the net for about a year and a half.
It is available in this model or wireframe model.
RW