Author Topic: Why piracy?  (Read 5013 times)

Offline Stef

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
    • Chicken Wings
Why piracy?
« on: October 02, 2010, 12:17:35 PM »
Haha, this little picture here sums up so much about what's going wrong in todays world of property rights management!

Granted, I am particularly interested in this topic, not only because we create intellectual property here with our comics, but also because I used to work part time at a record label and music publisher and focused on business models for the music industry for a while during my studies.

What do you guys think about the whole issue? The current way of the big companies to just scare everyone into submission can't be the solution to the problem, can it? I certainly am one of those who "votes with his dollars" and basically try to spend most of my entertainment budget on small and independent artists that really need it.

Offline 4X-NTY

• Rooster
  • Everythings is alright
Re: Why piracy?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2010, 06:08:34 PM »
Eh... Trailer No. 3 is for Kick-Ass, probably one of the best movies released this year!
Nitay "Pitz" Ronen

Offline YawningMan

• Cockerel
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 12:56:30 AM »
I haven't bought any DVDs for awhile now. I think my last two were the Tremors 4-pack and a 2-pack of Quigley Down Under and Rob Roy. I'm thinking my next DVD might be Redline Sky or Runway 16R.

http://www.amazon.com/Tremors-Attack-Pack-Aftershocks-Perfection/dp/B000ASATZ8

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0114287/

http://www.radiocarbonart.com/products/Redline-Sky.html

http://www.terwilligerproductions.com/onesixright/

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 03:29:56 AM »
I haven't bought any DVDs for awhile now. I think my last two were the Tremors 4-pack and a 2-pack of Quigley Down Under and Rob Roy. I'm thinking my next DVD might be Redline Sky or Runway 16R.

http://www.amazon.com/Tremors-Attack-Pack-Aftershocks-Perfection/dp/B000ASATZ8

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0114287/

http://www.radiocarbonart.com/products/Redline-Sky.html

http://www.terwilligerproductions.com/onesixright/

btw, we had a server crash big time this morning
that's why your previous post was erased (it went to default setting and back to it's last back-up copy)
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

Offline Fabo

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
  • If flying is a drug,then I am a first class addict
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 08:32:55 PM »
dammit. Cant find it... I have seen a graph about how much profit from selling CD went to each different party involved. Artists got surprisingly smalll percentage...
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 06:01:11 AM »
First off: I know nothing and no-one is perfect and we are all different and that in many different areas so nothing is simple. This is only meant to give my view on the matter and it's fairly quickly written so I may have overlooked something but knowing this crowd I doubt things will get heated (that was a compliment to this crowd btw).

I don't know if it's because of what I've been thrue the last several years but I won't let some stupid legal pages and trailers ruin my fun with a legally bought movie.
On youtube you can find a ton of music-videos, and some labels and/or artists have their own channel where you can see/hear the music video. I use this like a movie-trailer and if I like it I put it on my shopping list. Some items have been on the list for years since it's extremely difficult to find that one tune on a CD and maybe several single hits can be found on a compilation but it's not always that easy to find a online store that lists music tracks on the page (yes I only buy music or movies on disc). If I like the music/movie/comic etc. then I see what it costs, if I can afford it I buy it, if I can't then I'll put it on my list for later. My list is fairly long atm but what I have bought has given me great value for money in my opinion so I'm satisfied.

I've heard the argument many times that big corporations steal and oppress all artists but honestly, they can't all be that bad so saying they're all the same is stereotypical exageration and gives a twisted view of the real world imho. Furthermore, there are sadly costs when many people/departments/companies are involved, and some times there are a lot of people involved with making even music, let alone movies or games and they deserve pay for honest work too. That some processes should and indeed could be optimized and that there have been, and sadly still are producers/agents that take an unfair amount of money for their work is another matter that shouldn't interfere with the principles of good behaviour. Some artists, both in music and comics can be their own producer so to speak, like Stef for instance and some musicians have their own little studio and can produce all of their own music and sell it online, others need help for that and that's also work. Maybe many people nowadays don't undertand how much work a game or movie takes these days. And some music-tunes are probably the same, depending on the genre.

Another issue is mentality, many children nowadays use computers and the internet as soon as they can walk and many don't even understand the concept of intellectual rights and just get a link from a friend and download a game, movie or music without knowing what they're doing, that's tough to undo later in life. There's a pirate-site in DK that's been represented in tv by a person who said that music is a positive influence for the population and should there be free and if you want to support them then give a donation or pay for concerts. To my knowledge that's directly a communist attitude. That same site however has anti-virus software and computer-games, where to see them in concert? And about that comment that music improves the life of the people, I think many private houses along the main city roads I frequent could use a good coat of paint and a new fence or roof, should we get painteres and carpenters to do a lot of work and then just give them 10 bucks and say "thanks, you've helped improve society and therefore you're not entitled to pay but here's a donation". I'm not making a joke, seeing clean and repaired houses instead of run-down ruins along the roads I normally drive can also lift spirits just like good music and by the logic of the pirate-site then private houses should be repaired and fixed for free as well.

Frank
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 06:40:00 AM by Frank N. O. »
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2010, 10:01:07 PM »
I believe the point is, they are trying to force you to do something.  Requiring you to watch stuff unrelated to what you actually purchased. 

What if you don't WANT to watch the previews.  Sure you might enjoy them, and maybe you like watching them, but that is no justification for forcing you to watch them if you don't want to.   If they are on a disc I will watch them at some point becuase I like some, but the 2nd or 3rd time I watch it, I don't want to watch the previews and 5 years from now I really don't want to.  With things like that, it makes it attractive to download the pirated copy even if you already bought the legal one (which since you are allowed to have duplicate copies of the data for your own use, it is legal to do so).
"Well I know what's right, I got just one life
In a world that keeps on pushin' me around
But I stand my ground, and I won't back down"
  -Johnny Cash "I won't back Down"

Offline Cpt. Blade

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2010, 01:26:09 PM »
Yeah, big labels and the evil twins (RIAA and MPAA) only care about themselves, consumers and artists be damned! That's no surprise that so many artists are bailing out and working independently. I think one of the first ones to do it was the English progressive-rock band Radiohead... some years ago they released the album In Rainbows, but no record label was involved. They payed everything - the production, the recording, the distribution -, and then made the entire CD available for download at their site, and people were allowed to pay whatever they wanted for the DL. Turns out, 60% of people payed something. There were more examples of this happening recently.

Honestly, if neither the end-consumers nor the artists are ok with the policies of these big corps, then they should seriously think about what they are doing. I mean, their greedyness is costing them not only money - because of people resorting to cheaper ways of getting what they want -, but also popularity: it doesn't help when you try to make people pay 20, 30 bucks for a DVD, and it helps even less when you try to enforce this by suing even elementary school students just because they downloaded a couple of songs for their iPods.
Behold, the only three phrases a co-pilot is ever allowed to say: "nice landing, captain"; "it was the wind, captain"; "the fat girl is mine, captain".

Offline 4X-NTY

• Rooster
  • Everythings is alright
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2010, 02:03:46 PM »
Cpt. Blade, I know excactly what you mean, here it's even worse, a disc that costs in the US 10.95 costs here about 25 bucks due to customs and greedines of the importers an salers.
It's been a while since I bought a labeled CD, I think it was Guns N' Roses' Chinese Democracy album (kicks ass in my opinion, if you're not comparing it to the real Guns N' Roses), but I have bought dozens of cd, and I'm attending dozens of shows a year of Indie artists. Also, because they aren't depending on some label company,they don't have someone telling them to think about the money, most artists sells their albums in just a bit over the price they paid to make it, and preffer to make better music than to sale more CD's.
Nitay "Pitz" Ronen

Offline Lt.Fubar

• Fledgling
  • Chasing the sunset
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2010, 07:42:28 AM »
It's the same in Poland, these day's I sell more albums then I buy  :D Typically music CD cost around here 20-25 USD, so it is waaaaaaay cheaper to actually buy single mp3's from internet stores, the last album I bought was of a group that released it themselves and it was around 5 USD per CD, so I bought all 3 albums from them - I simply can't afford to do the same with other bands. BTW the iTunes store still don't work here  >:(

It would be actually affordable to buy these form US or Canada, tax and customs would not be a big concern... but international shipment prices are sometimes ridicules.

Example - instructional DVD for firearms use (my other hobby) cost 40 USD (reasonable price for the product), but international shipment was by UPS only, at 60 USD (WTF?!) so... I bought it with my credit card, but put shipment address of a friend in the States, so the postage was 5 USD, and he send it over to me with USPS for 9 USD. And a week after the purchase it was safely at my place.

PS. The Pre-Order of Speed & Angels was a nice surprise, as the shipment was free of charge and they sent me a poster before releasing the DVD, and shipment costs for both were higher than I paid for the DVD itself  ;D
“I'm a leaf on a wind, watch how I soar.” Hoban 'Wash' Washburne