Author Topic: Chuck Lost his Cool  (Read 9513 times)

Offline Rooster Cruiser

• Alpha Rooster
  • Retired Chicken Hauler
Re: Chuck Lost his Cool
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2010, 11:43:55 PM »
Man, talk about thread drift!   ::whistle::

So how will Chuck get his Cool back without his sunglasses?

...Will he get them surgically attached so he no longer loses them?

RC
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 11:45:40 PM by Rooster Cruiser »
"Me 'n Earl was haulin' chickens / On a flatbed outta Wiggins..."

Wolf Creek Pass, by CW McCall

Offline Fabo

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
  • If flying is a drug,then I am a first class addict
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2010, 11:59:54 PM »
I will have to think about laser operations. I still have about a year or so until my eyes settle, so plenty of time. Waking up to see the world without correction is the dream, though.
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Offline Oddball

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
  • I crash better than anybody I know
    • Myspace profile
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2010, 09:59:31 AM »
I'm sure Julio has some super glue some where in the hanger R/C so Chuck wont loose his "cool".   along with Duct/Speed Tape,cable ties and WD40 its one of the most important things you can have.

(along with some vinegar  and the directions to the local hospital if you have put your hand on a wing you have just glued together  ::whistle:: ::whistle:: )
"You can teach monkeys to fly better than that!"and "spring chicken to sh**e hawk in one easy lesson"

Offline BrianGMFS

• Rooster
  • My other car is a Firefly
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2010, 02:14:14 PM »
I've had glasses since I was 12. As I begin to push 44. I now need Bifocals. My arms are not long enough anymore....

-

"Take my love, take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me."

Offline Fabo

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
  • If flying is a drug,then I am a first class addict
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2010, 06:35:59 PM »
My arms are not long enough anymore....

LOL, my dad says that all the time. He is 46. :)
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Offline madpilot44

• Cockerel
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2010, 10:17:50 PM »
from what I heard, PRK is the way to go....
heard it hurts more initially and your vision takes a few days to get good but they're not cutting the cornia and peel it back which seems to be the advantage

anybody heard aything bad about PRK?

Well, PRK takes longer to recover, hurts more initially, and also has a lower percentage of people geting 20/20 (nothing serious, like 89% for PRK versus 92% for LASEK and 94% for LASIK, something like that)
To most people, the sky is the limit. To those who love aviation, the sky is home.

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2010, 06:51:17 PM »
what's the difference between LASIK and LASEK?
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

Offline madpilot44

• Cockerel
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2010, 03:21:11 AM »
I'm not a doctor, but this is what I understood from my pre-surgery research

http://www.the-lasik-directory.com/lasik_lasek_chart.html

Basically, the depth of the cut. LASIK cuts at least twice as deep, and cuts into the stroma, which is part of the cornea. LASEK only cuts the epithelium, which is a protective layer that grows back (LASEK is known as a flapless procedure because it doesn't cut into the cornea). PRK dissolves the epithelium with some kind of brush (epithelium grows back, but it can grow back weird, which is the reason for some of the problems with PRK, also, you don't have the protective flap for a while, which is another one of the reasons LASIK and LASEK are a bit safer)
To most people, the sky is the limit. To those who love aviation, the sky is home.

Offline ZAIZAI

« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2010, 08:46:42 AM »
I was told that laser surgery ruins your night vision capability... ???
...Lurker...
I don't need an engine and a prop for my Skyarrow anymore...but I do need a testpilot for it. Chuck wanna step up?...on second thought, perhaps not.

Offline madpilot44

• Cockerel
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2010, 03:16:02 PM »
well, I know astigmatism gives you trouble when trying to adjust to different light conditions, but I didn't experience nor have I heard about a marked decrease in night visibility after surgery...

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2010, 09:40:46 PM »
The two best things a pilot can have regarding vision, are a super sharp AME and a super sharp opthalmologist.  You only have one set of eyes! 

It's been a LONG time since I looked into this surgery, so I'm sure things have improved, but at the time, there were many documented cases of the SCARS (healing from the surgical cuts) eventually causing MORE impaired vision.  This happened "down the road", after the initial improvement in vision.

That was enough for me -- I'm very happy to have a great eye doctor who makes sure my distant vision stays 20/15 (to see distant aircraft), and then I compensate for any slight lack in the cockpit (much less crucial) with cheap glasses.

My sister had the surgery done (also years ago), and after an initial GREAT improvement, her eyes did settle down to stay better than they were previously.  She was much blinder than I, so she is happy with the results.

Best to get advice from the experts....     :)

8)
Don't make me come back there!!!!

Offline 4X-NTY

• Rooster
  • Everythings is alright
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2010, 12:55:05 PM »
Funny story about those scars.
My dad had a to wear glasses,and about 15 years ago he went through a laser surgery,which improved his vision by bit,and left a scar on his left eye,since then,he had a better vision in his right eye,and he still needed to wear glasses.
About four years ago he went to get he went to get new glasses,because his vision got a bit worse,and when he was there,the optometrist asked him "Do you know you got the wrong number on your right eye?", my father didn't know,and then he understood that the bad vision on his right eye wasn't because of the scar,but because of some error the optometrist did.
Nitay "Pitz" Ronen