Author Topic: Chuck Lost his Cool  (Read 9548 times)

Offline Rooster Cruiser

• Alpha Rooster
  • Retired Chicken Hauler
Chuck Lost his Cool
« on: September 22, 2010, 01:34:58 AM »
Man I can sympathize with Chuck in this strip!  Last spring I went in for my medical and discovered my eyesight had deteriorated to the point I could no longer pass the eye test without prescription glasses.  "Ok" says I, "go out and get prescription glasses."  I did, but when I did I discovered the price of prescription sunglasses was prohibitive!   ::eek::  No more cheapie MacArthur mirror shades for me, and I cannot afford $300 sunglasses!

I must say that the world does appear much brighter than before, but I lost my "coolness" several years ago when my hair began to turn grey and fall out.

Good one fellas!   ::bow::

RC
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 06:23:43 AM by Rooster Cruiser »
"Me 'n Earl was haulin' chickens / On a flatbed outta Wiggins..."

Wolf Creek Pass, by CW McCall

Offline Oddball

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
  • I crash better than anybody I know
    • Myspace profile
Re: Chuck Lost his Cool
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 07:49:02 AM »
What is happening here? first Julio looses his cap and now Chuck looses his "cool"!!! the end is nigh!!!! lol
"You can teach monkeys to fly better than that!"and "spring chicken to sh**e hawk in one easy lesson"

Offline ZAIZAI

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 09:26:25 AM »
Man I can sympathize with Chuck in this strip!  Last spring I went in for my medical and discovered my eyesight had deteriorated to the point I could no longer pass the eye test without prescription glasses.  "Ok" says I, "go out and get prescription glasses."  I did, but when I did I discovered the price of prescription sunglasses was prohibitive!   ::eek::  No more cheapie MacArthur mirror shades for me, and I cannot afford $300 sunglasses!

I must say that the world does appear much brighter than before, but I lost my "coolness" several years ago when my hair began to turn grey and fall out.

Good one fellas!   ::bow::

RC

Hmmm...age has nothing to do with it, do you have daughters?!
 My prescription sunglasses cost me £45, ok they are not polaroid and I sent the guy back three times to "bake" them in order to darken the tint even further, sure they are not your typical aviation fashionistas but they do the job!

The only cool pilots are diver drivers...*runs and hides*
...Lurker...
I don't need an engine and a prop for my Skyarrow anymore...but I do need a testpilot for it. Chuck wanna step up?...on second thought, perhaps not.

Offline 4X-NTY

• Rooster
  • Everythings is alright
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 10:31:40 AM »
I just lost my cool a week ago, now there's no distance between me and and the normal people  :(
Atleast I still got my hat...
Nitay "Pitz" Ronen

Offline Fabo

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
  • If flying is a drug,then I am a first class addict
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 12:59:05 PM »
R/C I use contacts + regular cheapo sunglasses. Maybe worth a look at for ya?
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Offline Rooster Cruiser

• Alpha Rooster
  • Retired Chicken Hauler
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 02:37:18 PM »
Zaizai, yes I have one daughter and one son.  Might explain the thinning of the hair for sure!   ::)

Fabo, I don't like the idea of putting things in my eyes.  It just weirds me out thinking of it.   ::eek::

RC
"Me 'n Earl was haulin' chickens / On a flatbed outta Wiggins..."

Wolf Creek Pass, by CW McCall

Offline cotejy

• Rooster
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 05:25:42 PM »
Fabo, I don't like the idea of putting things in my eyes.  It just weirds me out thinking of it.

I was like that. For 15 years, I was wearing prescription glasses. Then one day, without reasons, I asked informations about contacts to my optometrist (is that what it's called in English?). She gave me a sample to use for 2 weeks. It was freaking wierd and I had to wake up 30 minutes to put them on at morning. But it was so rewarding. 16 hours of pure joy per day. No dirty glasses, no weight on my nose, no frame in my vision. Comming in after a day outside during winter without loosing the image form fog. Not being scared of the glasses to fall on the chain saw when working. And the best, you can see something when having sex without wearing ridiculus glasses.

Today, I can put them on in 2 seconds without a mirror and wouldn't go back to presciption glasses.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 08:04:38 PM by cotejy »

Offline Fabo

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
  • If flying is a drug,then I am a first class addict
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2010, 12:05:30 AM »
cotejy: My words, man, my words. Once you go... ehm, contacts... you never go back.
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2010, 12:33:36 AM »
got some myself....

the best ones for me are the one-day throwaways. don't need to carry all that crap with me (solution, case,....) and they're clean every day

thinking of getting the operation though

if I wasn't so scared of it I would have done it already....  :-\ :-[
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

Offline madpilot44

• Cockerel
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2010, 05:07:07 AM »
Mike, I did it. its weird staring into the light for a while, knowing that your other eye is being cut by a laser, but you can walk out of there being able to see.... and man! just being able to wake up and look at the darned clock without putting on glasses, priceless! (I was almost legally blind, +7.50 on one eye, +8 on the other, and now I'm back to flying, 20/20 eyesight on both eyes). And mine was LASEK, so no problem with flying at all.
To most people, the sky is the limit. To those who love aviation, the sky is home.

Offline Oddball

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
  • I crash better than anybody I know
    • Myspace profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2010, 03:04:00 PM »
Still wear both(glasses and contacts) still not sure about the lazer treatment heard stories about it reversing so dont know if they have improved the techniques.
"You can teach monkeys to fly better than that!"and "spring chicken to sh**e hawk in one easy lesson"

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2010, 03:37:17 PM »
And mine was LASEK, so no problem with flying at all.

Hey Mad, are there procedures that ARE a problem with flying?

....never thought about the implications on my medical......

Offline 4X-NTY

• Rooster
  • Everythings is alright
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2010, 07:31:30 PM »
Mike, I saw a video of a girl with no hands flying a plane, unless you're in a condition that you can't even see the panel,you can fly.
Nitay "Pitz" Ronen

Offline madpilot44

• Cockerel
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2010, 08:07:16 PM »
Well, Lasik was just recently approved by the FAA, I think. They feared that if you had a sudden cabin depressurization (which is a big problem in a helicopter lol), the way surgery's done you had a danger of damage to your eyeballs. LASEK's fine, and PRK's what the USAF uses on cadets who are going to pilot training after the Academy.
To most people, the sky is the limit. To those who love aviation, the sky is home.

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2010, 10:22:23 PM »
Well, Lasik was just recently approved by the FAA, I think. They feared that if you had a sudden cabin depressurization (which is a big problem in a helicopter lol), the way surgery's done you had a danger of damage to your eyeballs. LASEK's fine, and PRK's what the USAF uses on cadets who are going to pilot training after the Academy.

from what I heard, PRK is the way to go....
heard it hurts more initially and your vision takes a few days to get good but they're not cutting the cornia and peel it back which seems to be the advantage

anybody heard aything bad about PRK?