Author Topic: CPT and women  (Read 48723 times)

Offline happylanding

• Alpha Rooster
CPT and women
« on: May 28, 2006, 04:36:25 PM »
I was reading an old "have you ever noticed......." topic........so....I was getting courious.........

how many among you male pilot actively uses/used the excuse of being pilot to attract women?!?
And does it really work?

I give that landing a 9 . . . on the Richter scale.

Offline Sleek-Jet

• Rooster
Re: CPT and women
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2006, 04:57:01 PM »
I was reading an old "have you ever noticed......." topic........so....I was getting courious.........

how many among you male pilot actively uses/used the excuse of being pilot to attract women?!?
And does it really work?

No... trust me...  ;D

Saying you're a pilot these days is like saying you're an accountant.   ::)
A pilot is a confused soul who talks about women when he's around airplanes, and airplanes when he's around women.

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2006, 05:02:40 PM »
LOL, that's not even neutral but almost a bad thing with all those economic company scandals lately isn't it? :D

Btw, now the topic is up, how do men react when a woman says she's a pilot?

Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2006, 05:06:14 PM »
Didn't you see how much Chuck has with this in our strips?  ;D ;)  (heh heh

I rarely tell anybody I am a pilot. I don't know why really. In the beginning it was because I looked so young and nobody believed me anyways plus I don't really care what people think about me being a pilot, and now it stuck I guess....
I do know some guys though who learned how to fly helicopters to attrack women. I asked one of them if it worked out for him and he said...
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
"Nope."
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2006, 05:09:45 PM »

Btw, now the topic is up, how do men react when a woman says she's a pilot?

Frank

My very first flight instructor (in the little orange 25hp plane) was a ME109 pilot for the Germans in WWII. He still flies to this day.
Then, my primary fixed wing flight instructor and my private through commercial helicopter CFI were both girls.
So for me it's not unusual...

But I would like to hear from Happy how the "average pedestrian" reacts to her telling somebody she's a pilot as well...
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

Offline happylanding

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2006, 05:22:06 PM »
Frank and Mike: to reply to your question….it depends.
From what I could and can see, there are:
a)   Men who are pilots and dislike women in cockpit. (I had a really tough time during the courses with an instructor who was alike!!!).
b)   Pedestrian men who get scared about a woman being a pilot and run away…
c)   Pedestrian men who see in this a chance to talk about engines and such (even if it is not the same thing!!!), thinking they have found a new beer buddy ;)
d)   Pedestrian who takes the info easily. But they never ask for a ride!
e)   Men who are pilots and like the fact that women fly.
So, at the end, it happens that outside of the airport I do not usually say anything about the license!

fireflyr

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2006, 07:32:08 PM »
e)   Men who are pilots and like the fact that women fly.
So, at the end, it happens that outside of the airport I do not usually say anything about the license!

I gotta be grouped with (E), I think it's super anytime I meet a woman pilot---I flew copilot for a female captain and had nothing but admiration for her IFR skills.   I am not a "women's libber" or even close but I appreciate ability in anyone regardless of sex.  My exwife was a terrible pilot, had nothing to with sex--she was just not suited for the task, I mean she wrecked my airplane trying to land downwind---with a boyfriend on board! (partly why she's my EX)
If I was young and single (and I am niether) I would be VERY excited to meet an attractive female pilot! |:)\ |:)\ |:)\

Offline happylanding

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2006, 08:44:21 PM »

......My exwife was a terrible pilot, had nothing to with sex--she was just not suited for the task, I mean she wrecked my airplane trying to land downwind---with a boyfriend on board! (partly why she's my EX)
If I was young and single (and I am niether) I would be VERY excited to meet an attractive female pilot! |:)\ |:)\ |:)\

But the point is....Is she your ex because A) she wrecked the plane or because B) she had a boyfriend on board?!?!? ;) ;) ;)

Offline happylanding

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2006, 08:47:42 PM »
I was anyhow forgetting something that relates to

b)   Pedestrian men who get scared about a woman being a pilot and run away…

I think it is something that happens to us aviators all, anyhow.
Do you never hear the question..........."you flight? but.......aren't you scared?". It always make me laugh. As if we did something to s@@t ourselves in the pants not knowing what to do else! I find it a question incredibly stupid!

Offline Roland

• Cockerel
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2006, 08:56:03 PM »
I’ve met some pilots which thought the may attract women by being pilots. Actually that doesn’t work. It’s not the job, which attracts. Maybe not even the person. But the money. ;)
If helicopter flying would be difficult, engineers would do it.

Offline Roland

• Cockerel
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2006, 09:09:59 PM »
I’ve met two (yes, two only) female helicopter pilots in my career. The first I’ve met in Port Harcourt, flying S-76, and found her being accepted on the spot. She did her job with high skill and experience and had been a good pal at the bar too.

The second I’ve met on a Spanish island did everything wrong she could do. After a short while friction mounted and she got thrown out. Sad, but I think, it had nothing to do if she was a female pilot or not. It was (is) the personality. As a man she would have been sacked a lot earlier.

What I’m going to tell with that is that it depends on the person ant the personality. The way to approach people and do the job. But isn’t that the case in every profession?
If helicopter flying would be difficult, engineers would do it.

Offline happylanding

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2006, 09:28:17 PM »

I’ve met some pilots which thought the may attract women by being pilots. Actually that doesn’t work. It’s not the job, which attracts. Maybe not even the person. But the money.

I’ve met two (yes, two only) female helicopter pilots in my career. The first I’ve met in Port Harcourt, flying S-76, and found her being accepted on the spot. She did her job with high skill and experience and had been a good pal at the bar too.

The second I’ve met on a Spanish island did everything wrong she could do. After a short while friction mounted and she got thrown out. Sad, but I think, it had nothing to do if she was a female pilot or not. It was (is) the personality. As a man she would have been sacked a lot earlier.

What I’m going to tell with that is that it depends on the person ant the personality. The way to approach people and do the job. But isn’t that the case in every profession?

Well, it’s quite pessimistic, the part that relates solely to money I mean...
;-) I think that being a pilot can be helpful only if you share the same passion (and neither always actually!!!!!). otherwise it’s like scuba diving and having the significant other who doesn’t either like swimming.

On the other side, I do not know if we get any preferential lane, I just have a PPL and I did not study to work in aviation. But it could surely be. I mean, we keep talking about same opportunities between sexes and lately for women is sometimes easier than for men…

fireflyr

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2006, 01:50:22 AM »

But the point is....Is she your ex because A) she wrecked the plane or because B) she had a boyfriend on board?!?!? ;) ;) ;)

I could have forgiven the dalliance with another man and I might have forgiven her for some really stupid flying but to put all that together and then to find out the insurance company had canceled the hull insurance (even after the premium doubled for putting a private pilot on the policy) and I had to eat the wreck was too much for me to handle so I set her free.    Makes a good story--yes? ::)

Actually she's my ex because I did the mid-life crisis thing---changed careers, bought a sports car, and found a young trophy girlfriend (now wife of 20 years), but of course, wrecking my f-ing airplane didn't really help matters but I prefer the more entertaining version!   ;D 

Offline happylanding

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2006, 07:40:44 AM »

I could have forgiven the dalliance with another man and I might have forgiven her for some really stupid flying but to put all that together and then to find out the insurance company had canceled the hull insurance (even after the premium doubled for putting a private pilot on the policy) and I had to eat the wreck was too much for me to handle so I set her free.    Makes a good story--yes? ::)
Actually she's my ex because I did the mid-life crisis thing---changed careers, bought a sports car, and found a young trophy girlfriend (now wife of 20 years), but of course, wrecking my f-ing airplane didn't really help matters but I prefer the more entertaining version!   ;D 

yeah, the entertaining version is much better!  :D
A good story to remember: at least fly another's aircraft and not the husband's!  ;D ;D ;D

Offline happylanding

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2006, 07:58:55 AM »

I could have forgiven the dalliance with another man and I might have forgiven her for some really stupid flying but to put all that together and then to find out the insurance company had canceled .................................

Sorry Fireflyr, I was reading again what I wrote just 30 minutes ago, and I thought that maybe it could be offensive.
I mean, I just got the entertaining part, but was forgetting what it means to end a relationship and all the brouhaha that goes together. that's always sad and takes a fu@@ing and long time to recover. so, if you feel offended by the remarks I did, I beg your pardon!!!!!