Author Topic: Carrying guns in private aircraft  (Read 6608 times)

Offline UtahHeli_Ken

Carrying guns in private aircraft
« on: September 07, 2010, 11:04:23 PM »
So I have a question. I have a concealed carry permit, and carry a fire arm a lot of places I go.

In the USA is it legal to carry a weapon in a private aircraft? Weather it be a helicopter I am flying or just a small airplane.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

The only ones who fail, are those that quit.

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
Re: Carrying guns in private aircraft
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 03:31:38 AM »
As long as the PIC gives permission, it's allowed (IE, if you are PIC, you can allow yourself).   As far as when you are on the ground, the laws might apply differently, but in flight it's PIC descretion.  Outside the aircraft you'd need a permit or have the gun secured, as required by local law (make sure you know what that means where you are going, it might need to be unloaded in a locked case in some areas).

In AK, it's not unusual to see a supercub with a hardsided gun case like you mount on a 4wheeler strapped to the wing strut.     It also used to be state law that the PIC was REQUIRED to carry a firearm.  They only repealed that law because it led to problems if you were flying from the lower 48 since you'd likely be wanting to make a stop in Canada.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 03:34:02 AM by Baradium »
"Well I know what's right, I got just one life
In a world that keeps on pushin' me around
But I stand my ground, and I won't back down"
  -Johnny Cash "I won't back Down"

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 03:49:43 AM »
That's kinda what I can come up with. Our 135 manual states that as long as the pilot says it's ok and the ammo is carried in an approved container designed to hold small arms ammo, we're good to go. I personally assume that a clip or magazine was specifially designed to hold ammo when I am in charge  ;)
However as soon as you depart the airplane (preferrably not in CA) you're gonna have to deal with whatever the rule of the land is.

btw, Baradium:

We ran into this problem this spring ferrying our aircraft to Alaska. I know Canada frowns upon hand guns, but what about shotguns? Would that be something we can shuttle through?
What do you know about this?
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 04:15:53 AM »
That's kinda what I can come up with. Our 135 manual states that as long as the pilot says it's ok and the ammo is carried in an approved container designed to hold small arms ammo, we're good to go. I personally assume that a clip or magazine was specifially designed to hold ammo when I am in charge  ;)
However as soon as you depart the airplane (preferrably not in CA) you're gonna have to deal with whatever the rule of the land is.

btw, Baradium:

We ran into this problem this spring ferrying our aircraft to Alaska. I know Canada frowns upon hand guns, but what about shotguns? Would that be something we can shuttle through?
What do you know about this?
I wrote out my own reply, but found a better one afterwards that I like and gives you more information.     
http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/akforum/akhunting/9151.htm

Basically, you need advanced permission to bring in a "restricted" firearm and don't need anything for a non restricted one.   Either get a permit for your pistol or bring a non restricted rifle or shotgun with you and you're good to go.  Bring in your own copy of the forms referenced already filled out.

You must declare all your restricted and non-restricted firearms at your point of entry in writing, in triplicate, using form JUS 909, the Non-Resident Firearms Declaration.  If you have more than three firearms, also fill out and attach form JUS 910, the firearms declaration continuation sheet.   

Once a customs officer has confirmed your declaration, it will serve as a temporary licence for you, and as a temporary registration certificate for all the firearms listed on your declaration.

The forms can be downloaded from the "forms" section of our web site at www.cfc.gc.ca or obtained at a Customs office, or by calling 1 800 731-4000, or by sending us an e-mail request with your complete mailing address. 

To save time at Customs, please fill out the form before you arrive, if possible, but wait until you arrive at Canada customs to sign it.  A customs officer must witness your signature.   If you download the form from our web site, you can photocopy a completed form, minus the signature, to have the three copies. 

A confirmed declaration is valid for 60 days or until you leave Canada, whichever comes first.  It costs $50 Canadian, which covers all the firearms listed on the declaration.  Until further notice, it can be renewed any number of times within a 12-month period at no additional cost.

So $50 and you can bring them through.  Just make sure whatever you take doesn't fall under "prohibited" and get a permit in advance if it's "restricted"

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 04:31:46 AM »

To answer the first part,  "the certificate holder" can authorize anyone they want to to carry a weapon.   See the below link.  It actually does a very nice job explaining the questions you need to ask.   It addresses private aircraft toward the end of the article.

http://www.lawyerintl.com/law-articles/674-Carrying%20Firearms%20On%20Aircraft

Offline G-man

• Alpha Rooster
  • Cogito sumere potum alterum.
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 05:19:30 AM »
Ahhhh... the certificate holder has the authority to deny access to the cabin though. I just had US Marshals fly with me on LaFawnduh, (looking for the "bonnie and Clyde" couple who escaped in AZ), and we allowed them to fly with loaded weapons....I said NO to the bear spray in the cabin though.....
Life may not be the party we hoped for---but while we're here--we might as well dance..........

Offline UtahHeli_Ken

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 05:01:26 PM »
Very helpful! Thank you!

So another question while I am thinking about it. What about discharging a firearm from an aircraft. I have heard of people getting a permit or whatnot to fire a gun from a private airplane or helicopter to hunt coyotes. Anyone have any info on this?

Offline chuckar101

• Rooster
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 06:49:51 PM »
Very helpful! Thank you!

So another question while I am thinking about it. What about discharging a firearm from an aircraft. I have heard of people getting a permit or whatnot to fire a gun from a private airplane or helicopter to hunt coyotes. Anyone have any info on this?

Don't know if private aircraft are allowed to discharge firearms.  But the USDA has super cubs at several places around the west.  There primary job involves them flying low and shooting coyotes with a shotgun for polpulation control.  A good buddy of mine has done it for years out in NV.  I'm sure they have some special mission approval to be able to do this.
WOW I did that!

Offline Ragwing

• Rooster
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2010, 07:08:09 PM »
There are several sites that let you know the local laws
Open carry is for the open carrying of a weapon (not concealed).
http://www.opencarry.org/

Concealed carry (CCW - carrying a concealed weapon) lets you know which states recognizes your CCW
http://apps.carryconcealed.net/legal/

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2010, 01:29:16 AM »
Very helpful! Thank you!

If you have an aircraft (or someone willing to fly you) you can apply to participate in the wolf control program in Alaska.   There are a lot of things that could cover discharging from an aircraft.

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2010, 01:31:54 AM »
Ahhhh... the certificate holder has the authority to deny access to the cabin though. I just had US Marshals fly with me on LaFawnduh, (looking for the "bonnie and Clyde" couple who escaped in AZ), and we allowed them to fly with loaded weapons....I said NO to the bear spray in the cabin though.....

We carried ammo cans in the 1900s when I was flying in AK for bear spray to go in.  We also put troopers' pepper spray in there when they flew.  Some planes had them in the cargo area but we preferred the nose cargo (outside the pressure vessel) if it was avaiilible (not all a/c had room as updated avionics filled the nose cargo area completely in many airframes).

An ammo can for such things could be handy in lafawnduh... you could also leave a can in there for yourself in case you had to put down in an area with a plethora of wildlife you might want to discourage.

Offline UtahHeli_Ken

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2010, 05:12:41 AM »
What about a permit to do your own coyote hunting in say Idaho

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2010, 01:16:45 PM »
What about a permit to do your own coyote hunting in say Idaho

Sorry, I don't know enough (much of anything) about the laws regarding this in Idaho.  That's something you're going to have to look into locally.  I'd suggest starting with the Idaho department of fish and game.

Offline UtahHeli_Ken

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2010, 02:47:57 PM »
Thanks everyone for the responses!Very helpful and informative.