Author Topic: Who will sit next to you?  (Read 9441 times)

Offline Oddball

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
  • I crash better than anybody I know
    • Myspace profile
Re: Who will sit next to you?
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2010, 11:46:03 AM »
Stop it Mike its lunch time over here and I'm getting hungry lol
"You can teach monkeys to fly better than that!"and "spring chicken to sh**e hawk in one easy lesson"

Offline YawningMan

• Cockerel
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2010, 02:43:47 PM »
Darn you, Oddy! Because of this, the next time I see a plate of chicken wings, I'm going to think, "Chuck, is that you?"

Offline Ragwing

• Rooster
Should airlines create family only sections - Or Adult only sections?
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2010, 03:52:30 AM »
http://blog.seattlepi.com/aerospace/archives/219170.asp?source=pimail

Should Airlines create Adult Only Sections?
The travel search site Skyscanner has been putting out a lot of polls lately, but this one caught my attention.

According to the company's latest survey, 59 percent of travelers would like a "families only" section on flights. That breaks down to 68 percent on non-parents (nearly a quarter of whom would prefer no-child flights) but just 31 percent of parents.

To me, it sounds like the issue isn't phrased right. "Families only" suggests to me that it's a section where only families can sit, whereas the non-parents who favor the idea seem to want families to be able to sit only in a special section. In other words, they'd like the rest of the plane to be "adults only."

In fact, Skyscanner PR Manager Mary Porter suggested something like that.

If passengers are prepared to pay extra for child-free flying, perhaps the solution is a premium adults-only section, rather than a pre-allocated families section, giving airlines yet another extra they can charge for? I am sure this service would prove to be really popular on routes that attract a lot of families such as flights to Florida.

I've been the parent of an unhappy young passenger, who made those around us unhappy as well. It's frustrating for everyone.

I suppose it might be OK to create a pay-option adults-only section, although I oppose the idea of segregating families who buy the same class of ticket, because I fear we'd all be shoved in the back of the plane.

And my general view is that society too-often forgets that children are people, instead viewing them as something akin to property or pets.

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2010, 08:37:03 PM »
hmmm... interesting subject.  ::thinking::

Definitely comic strip material  ;D

I thought that when you fly United premium or whatever it's called (with the extra leg room) that they don't allow kids in there already.

I just wish there was a legal way to give them like a half glass of red wine so they sleep.  ;)
Must have had the perfect kid back when she was little because I always brought tons of stuff to entertain her on those long flights (games, coloring books, gameboy, digi-pet) but she always just slept. Never had anybody get angry at me.....
Probably a "Murphy's Law" kind of deal since I was prepared.

I think that sometimes it looks like a parenting issue as well. You can tell already before you get on the plane which kids are going to be a pain (babies excluded of course). Unfortunatly I fear the airlines are gonna be screwed either way. No matter which way they go, SOMEBODY will be offended.
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

Offline Fabo

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
  • If flying is a drug,then I am a first class addict
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2010, 10:43:24 PM »
screw somebody... all sides profit from this. People, who would like a bit of calmness. Families, who are not mistreated by those people. Airlines...

Seats can be allready allocated by key. Be it simple F/C/Y classes, ammended F/C/Y+/Y class system, or, on bigger aircraft, even specific booking class. So why not make a remark for adult-only section, like Y+, and no children can be seated there (just like on emerg exit rows)?
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
Re: Should Airlines create Adult Only Sections?
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2010, 12:16:32 AM »
but what if the family rows end in row 23 let's say, and the "adult only" starts at row 24?

It would be like back in the days when they had smoking sections. The guy who paid extra for the better ticket sitting in 24C is still gonna hear the kid in 23B...

btw in the US of A "screw SOMEBODY" doesn't work. It will get discussed and changed and people will get exctied some will be called insensitive and some will be called racists and in the end a law will come out that screws EVERYBODY . . . I guess that way it's fair, right?!  ::loony:: ::complaining:

Offline G-man

• Alpha Rooster
  • Cogito sumere potum alterum.
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2010, 05:14:20 AM »
If I fly "Adult Only" and have to pay for it---the women better be neked....

I am all for it...nothing worse than screaming kids next to you on a flight...I would pay extra.....
Life may not be the party we hoped for---but while we're here--we might as well dance..........

Offline Oddball

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
  • I crash better than anybody I know
    • Myspace profile
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2010, 10:37:25 AM »
Easy solution................................wear ear defenders  ;D ;) ::whistle::
"You can teach monkeys to fly better than that!"and "spring chicken to sh**e hawk in one easy lesson"

Offline G-man

• Alpha Rooster
  • Cogito sumere potum alterum.
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2010, 04:47:14 PM »
Easy solution................................wear ear defenders  ;D ;) ::whistle::

But then they constantly want out to the bathroom, they keep nudging you...only good thing is you can fart throughout the flight and blame them.. ::rofl:: ::whistle::

By the way---5 martoonis works better than ear protectors. ::drinking:: ::drinking:: ::drinking:: ::drinking::
Life may not be the party we hoped for---but while we're here--we might as well dance..........

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2010, 05:17:10 PM »

By the way---5 martoonis works better than ear protectors. ::drinking:: ::drinking:: ::drinking:: ::drinking::

I was on a flight sitting middle row on a 747 with two-year-old twins. Even when one quit crying the other one would start. It was non-stop. They couldn't re-seat us so they offered us free drinks throughout the whole flight. Didn't work so well. At the end I was hungover AND tired...

Ironicly, and to tie in with my earlier post: We saw those two kids 2 hours earlier in the restaurant outside the gate. They were already being out of control whining and running around and so on. So I said to my woman, "imagine the poor bastards who're gonna have to sit next to these brats?". We were both laughing about it . . . . until the boarding for our flight was completed....  ::sick:: ::banghead::