Author Topic: First Checkride  (Read 33838 times)

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
Re: First Checkride
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2006, 02:12:18 AM »
This is all great advice.  They know that no one can recall EVERYTHING.  Yet, if you are well prepared, it shows to the examiner that you care enough to study.  Don't be afraid to have little tags on your reference materials (AIM, FARs, etc.).  It shows that you are organized...  again, a valuable trait.

Get with other pilots, and use the charts for a running study contest.  Pick a feature and learn what it is.  There are lots of pilots who don't know chart symbols as well as they should.  Again, familiarity with everything on that ubiquitous piece of paper gives the examiner a look into your attitude toward learning. 

You'll do fine!!  Let us know how it all goes!!!!   ;D   ;D   ;D 

Don't make me come back there!!!!

Offline Artoo

« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2010, 02:59:52 AM »
@Frank - The shirt cutting tradition comes from the early days of flight when you had a student and instructor in those open air biplanes with no headsets, the instructor would sit behind the student and would tug on the student's shirt tail to get his attention if he needed to tell him something. With all the wind and engine noise it was really noisy and you really had to yell, or use hand signals.  Once he completed his first solo, the instructor would cut off the shirt tail to remind the student that he wasn't back their anymore to give advice, nobody is going to tug on your shirt if you're doing it wrong.  I realize this is a real old thread, but I thought that I'd tie up that loose end . . .  :-[ (bad pun; I am my father's son)
Stay on target!

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2010, 03:10:25 PM »
@Frank - The shirt cutting tradition comes from the early days of flight when you had a student and instructor in those open air biplanes with no headsets, the instructor would sit behind the student and would tug on the student's shirt tail to get his attention if he needed to tell him something. With all the wind and engine noise it was really noisy and you really had to yell, or use hand signals.  Once he completed his first solo, the instructor would cut off the shirt tail to remind the student that he wasn't back their anymore to give advice, nobody is going to tug on your shirt if you're doing it wrong.  I realize this is a real old thread, but I thought that I'd tie up that loose end . . .  :-[ (bad pun; I am my father's son)

that's a cool story, never heard that one before....  |:)\
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2010, 11:31:16 AM »
Ditto to what Mike said, thanks for posting this :)

Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline FlyboyGil

• Alpha Rooster
  • AW, CRAP!!!
    • MYSPACE!!!
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2010, 10:47:33 PM »

Here in Canada, we do the ol' bucket of water after the solo. Where'd that come from?
IF YOU CAN'T SAY ANYTHING NICE, YOU'RE PROBABLY AT THE ICE CAPADES

Offline Ragwing

• Rooster
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2010, 11:17:40 PM »
Here in Canada, we do the ol' bucket of water after the solo. Where'd that come from?
After looking into this, I am not EVER going to recommend first solo in Canada

Several traditions have developed in the USA around "soloing", including drenching the student with water and cutting off and permanently displaying the back of his or her shirt.

In American aviation lore, the traditional removal of a new pilot's shirt tail is a sign of the instructor's new confidence in his student after successful completion of the 1st solo flight. In the days of tandem trainers, the student sat in the front seat, with the instructor behind. As there were often no radios in these early days of aviation, the instructor would tug on the student pilot's shirttail to get his attention, and then yell in his ear. A successful first solo flight is an indication that the student can fly without the instructor ("instructor-less" flight). Hence, there is no longer a need for the shirt tail, and it is cut off by the (often) proud instructor, and sometimes displayed as a trophy.[2]

In Canada, the dumping of water is replaced with a bucket of snow. The dumping is usually intended as a surprise to the newly minted solo pilot.
BUCKET OF SNOW!!!! ::sick::

Offline FlyboyGil

• Alpha Rooster
  • AW, CRAP!!!
    • MYSPACE!!!
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2010, 02:29:17 PM »
After looking into this, I am not EVER going to recommend first solo in Canada

Several traditions have developed in the USA around "soloing", including drenching the student with water and cutting off and permanently displaying the back of his or her shirt.

In American aviation lore, the traditional removal of a new pilot's shirt tail is a sign of the instructor's new confidence in his student after successful completion of the 1st solo flight. In the days of tandem trainers, the student sat in the front seat, with the instructor behind. As there were often no radios in these early days of aviation, the instructor would tug on the student pilot's shirttail to get his attention, and then yell in his ear. A successful first solo flight is an indication that the student can fly without the instructor ("instructor-less" flight). Hence, there is no longer a need for the shirt tail, and it is cut off by the (often) proud instructor, and sometimes displayed as a trophy.[2]

In Canada, the dumping of water is replaced with a bucket of snow. The dumping is usually intended as a surprise to the newly minted solo pilot.
BUCKET OF SNOW!!!! ::sick::

Snow! We never did snow! Granted when I soak people I always make sure the water is as cold as possible!  >:D >:D

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2010, 08:38:48 PM »
In Denmark we do it similarly, however it's the pilot that gets thrown, into a bathtub or pool of water. A tv documentary on danish fighterpilots during final training in USA mentioned that if a pilot lands from his/her solo and make it to the office before getting caught then they're in the clear. One pilot landed earlier than planen and was almost at the door before they caught him and threw him in a kid's pool full of water, in his flightsuit and everything :D One of the danish princes recieved the same treatment although he only soloed in the small SAAB T-17 trainer here in DK.

Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline croatian judge

« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2010, 11:59:56 PM »
With the air cadet gliding program in Atlantic Canada they throw you into a brook after your first solo, and after my first solo with power I got about 3 garbage cans worth of water, it was about 30 degrees (Celsius!) out though, so it was awesome.

At the flight school I'm at now, they have a partnership with a university for a BBA+CPL program, and they're not allowed to give the soaking because the university calls it "hazing". Ridiculous if you ask me.

Offline FlyboyGil

• Alpha Rooster
  • AW, CRAP!!!
    • MYSPACE!!!
« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2010, 12:16:36 AM »
At the flight school I'm at now, they have a partnership with a university for a BBA+CPL program, and they're not allowed to give the soaking because the university calls it "hazing". Ridiculous if you ask me.

I think Political Correctness has gone a little too far!!! Water is hardly hazing!!! Some loser probably went crying to the authorities about it, and now it's gotta be banned. SHEESH!! Go back home and breastfeed from yo' momma if you can't handle a simple thing like that.

Offline Chopper Doc

• Cockerel
  • Any tool is a weapon if you hold it right.
« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2010, 05:14:40 PM »
Now, now, Flyboy, don't say harsh words or the Nannies will come and "correct" your behaviour.

Rites of initiation are no longer considered acceptable.  There is no longer "succeed or fail", but rather we now recognize only "effort"; that is, we now set the bar so low that any idiot can "achieve" - hell, just look at the way some people drive and you'll see what I mean.   So, no, you can't subject a new member of the tribe to indignity, stress, or discomfort, as this may preclude some sensitive type from making an effort. 

Your future comments will be monitored for compliance, and re-education may be mandated.

/nanny-state sarcasm off
"I keep a bottle of stimulants handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy."
  - WC Fields

Offline Oddball

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
  • I crash better than anybody I know
    • Myspace profile
« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2010, 06:14:12 PM »
Dont worry Doc I have my beady eyes on him and have him marked down as a trouble maker in the Big Black Book lol  ;D :P
"You can teach monkeys to fly better than that!"and "spring chicken to sh**e hawk in one easy lesson"

Offline FlyboyGil

• Alpha Rooster
  • AW, CRAP!!!
    • MYSPACE!!!
« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2010, 10:09:29 PM »
Dont worry Doc I have my beady eyes on him and have him marked down as a trouble maker in the Big Black Book lol  ;D :P

Hoho, I'm in alot of black books!!  >:D >:D >:D

Offline Chopper Doc

• Cockerel
  • Any tool is a weapon if you hold it right.
« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2010, 10:09:33 PM »
Hoho, I'm in alot of black books!!  >:D >:D >:D

Uhhhmmmm... alot of black books.  I'm not gonna touch that one.
"I keep a bottle of stimulants handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy."
  - WC Fields