Author Topic: Problems understanding ATC?  (Read 21119 times)

fireflyr

Re: Problems understanding ATC?
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2006, 01:24:46 AM »
WHOOPS---what Gman already said :D

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2006, 01:54:02 AM »
Whoa Baradium---- That's wrong :-[

You mean why did I give an incomplete answer?   Because I posted a quick response because I was in a hurry and meant to come back to it later and I forgot about it...

Yeah, memory is going out in my old age....

:-[
"Well I know what's right, I got just one life
In a world that keeps on pushin' me around
But I stand my ground, and I won't back down"
  -Johnny Cash "I won't back Down"

fireflyr

« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2006, 02:47:41 PM »
Whoa Baradium---- That's wrong :-[

Yeah, memory is going out in my old age....

:-[
HAAAA HAAAA HA, That's good ;D

Offline chuckar101

• Rooster
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2006, 08:47:42 PM »
Just found this link and thanks Mike. 
WOW I did that!

undatc

« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2006, 08:34:02 PM »
You're partly correct with the TRACON, however TRACON controllesr are vastly different and have a much harder job than their ARTCC (air route traffic control center) or as you know them, en route or tower counter parts.

Tracons work arrivals and departures out of main class B or C airports, sometime D's however your're usually just handed off to a center.

And you dont need to be a citizen, just call up the HR department of the center you want to visit a few weeks in advance, and youre good to go.  I have visited many facilities in preparation of my graduation, in fact Ill be going to KSEA tower in two weeks :)

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2006, 10:34:39 PM »
You're partly correct with the TRACON, however TRACON controllesr are vastly different and have a much harder job than their ARTCC (air route traffic control center) or as you know them, en route or tower counter parts.

Tracons work arrivals and departures out of main class B or C airports, sometime D's however your're usually just handed off to a center.

D's have them when they are the center of a TRSA (pronounced tersa).  For example, Fairbanks is a TRSA airport, specifically so aircraft without transponders can still operate from the airport without prior permission.  This is the same reason Anchorage is a class C airport with a terminal area chart (only one in the nation IIRC), to allow aircraft to operate to the sattilite airports, such as lake hood (the world's largest seaplane base, which is right next to the terminal at Anchorage) without a transponder.

And you dont need to be a citizen, just call up the HR department of the center you want to visit a few weeks in advance, and youre good to go.  I have visited many facilities in preparation of my graduation, in fact Ill be going to KSEA tower in two weeks :)

They back down from that rule?  Last thing I had heard was when they decided citizens only.
"Well I know what's right, I got just one life
In a world that keeps on pushin' me around
But I stand my ground, and I won't back down"
  -Johnny Cash "I won't back Down"

undatc

« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2006, 12:08:25 AM »

D's have them when they are the center of a TRSA (pronounced tersa).  For example, Fairbanks is a TRSA airport, specifically so aircraft without transponders can still operate from the airport without prior permission.  This is the same reason Anchorage is a class C airport with a terminal area chart (only one in the nation IIRC), to allow aircraft to operate to the sattilite airports, such as lake hood (the world's largest seaplane base, which is right next to the terminal at Anchorage) without a transponder.

They back down from that rule?  Last thing I had heard was when they decided citizens only.

Yea, I know Fargo has a TRSA that we deal with when we fly here a lot.  However a lot of D's also have them when they are near an AFB.  Here at Grand Forks, the AF is about 5 miles West of us and we use their RAPCON for approach and departure.