Author Topic: Problems understanding ATC?  (Read 21116 times)

Offline Gulfstream Driver

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
Re: Problems understanding ATC?
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2006, 05:36:13 PM »
When I started flying at UND, we had a contract with the Chinese government to train their pilots (they were the only ones that could afford the Beechjets).  A buddy of mine was up one time when the tower at Grand Forks just cleared everyone out of the pattern because a Chinese student couldn't understand his clearance.  All he could say was "roger", but he never deviated from his course to the airport. 

Another time, a Chinese student had an engine issue and landed off airport.  As he was on the phone with the SOF, he figured out that the plane would work if the fuel pump was on, so he told the SOF that he would be taking off, then hung up as the SOF is screaming at him not to take off again.  He stopped a car on the road and had the driver stop any traffic on the road so that he could leave.  He was deported shortly after he got back to GFK.
Behind every great man, there is a woman rolling her eyes.  --Bruce Almighty

Offline cotejy

• Rooster
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2006, 02:42:44 PM »
Thank you so much for the link. I now have an decent audio environement at work.  ;D

I never went on airport where I had to speak English (except MF) so this site will help me with English terminology used at controled airport.

I think tomorrow, I'll bring my headsets to work so I'll have a better feeling. ;)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2006, 03:09:00 PM by cotejy »

fireflyr

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2006, 03:04:07 PM »
A buddy of mine was up one time when the tower at Grand Forks just cleared everyone out of the pattern because a Chinese student couldn't understand his clearance.  All he could say was "roger", but he never deviated from his course to the airport. 

I saw a few instances like that at San Bernardino with Japanese students--sometimes it was hilarious and sometimes it was scary.   But I had to give them credit because my Japanese is nil! :o

Offline cotejy

• Rooster
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2006, 03:24:34 PM »
I'm currently listening to Toronto and I just realised how difficult it should be to deal with all the non English pilots. They have to speak with Japaneese, French, British,... pilots and they all have their own "way" of speaking English!

Offline leiafee

• Cockerel
    • "Lets go flying": Scribblings of a novice PPL
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2006, 06:47:06 PM »
I'm currently listening to Toronto and I just realised how difficult it should be to deal with all the non English pilots. They have to speak with Japaneese, French, British,... pilots and they all have their own "way" of speaking English!

We occasionally get Toronto breaking through on out local airfield frequency.  Very very bizarre as we're the other side of the Atlantic!

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2006, 01:17:00 AM »
I've heard some of that from another site some years ago and I could barely understand one word. Now I heard that the slow speed used in the computer ATC in MSFS2004 would get you in big trouble in the real world, but do you really have to be able to understand that mumble, at least when you "just" fly a single-engine GA plane?

Another question, did turbulence activate the radio-transmit button or what did I miss? And doesn't aircraft engines have dry-sump lubrication (pump instead of gravity circulation).

Frank

You'd better be able to talk to ATC if you're going to be in a situation where you need to!  And if you're going on cross country flights in the US, flight following can be a lifesaver.  Keep in mind that center isn't usually as fast and smaller controlled airports are slower as well because they have the time. 

It's good to slowly progress.  When I started I had no idea what they were saying at fast airports either, but it's a lot more natural now.

Here's a trick you can use if you really have problems.  On initial contact, when you tell them aircraft type, add in the words "student pilot" at the end.  ;)    They'll talk a lot slower to you and hold your hand all the way in.   :D
"Well I know what's right, I got just one life
In a world that keeps on pushin' me around
But I stand my ground, and I won't back down"
  -Johnny Cash "I won't back Down"

fireflyr

« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2006, 03:49:40 PM »
I've given some thought to this subject as I am very hard-of-hearing and a lot of the ability to understand ATC is being able to anticipate what they are probably going to say---like the flow of conversation on a particular subject.  I also use a Bose headset which helps immensely>

Offline happylanding

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2006, 10:38:33 PM »
I've given some thought to this subject as I am very hard-of-hearing and a lot of the ability to understand ATC is being able to anticipate what they are probably going to say---like the flow of conversation on a particular subject.  I also use a Bose headset which helps immensely>

I agree with you. whenever I go flying, not to be stressed up with ATC, I've a paper in front of me with all things that in a answer change, such as the outbound point, the route, if I've a fp, if transopnder is on, and the next extimated already calculated... No hassles anymore. I just know what to say by heart and fill the blanks reading the bites on my paper....
I give that landing a 9 . . . on the Richter scale.

Offline G-man

• Alpha Rooster
  • Cogito sumere potum alterum.
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2006, 02:19:05 AM »
Another thing to remember is this...Most communication with ATC is started by you asking for something, taxi, take off etc. Most times you can have a pretty good idea what ATC will say back to you. With that in mind it is merely a question of listening for a known response. And always remember the phrase "say again". Like previous posters have said---ATC will always help you out if you say "Student Pilot". They will even let you visit the tower and explain the whole process to you......Don't forget to take donuts or candy......... 8)
Life may not be the party we hoped for---but while we're here--we might as well dance..........

fireflyr

« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2006, 02:53:31 PM »
Another thing to remember is this...Most communication with ATC is started by you asking for something, taxi, take off etc. Most times you can have a pretty good idea what ATC will say back to you. With that in mind it is merely a question of listening for a known response. And always remember the phrase "say again". Like previous posters have said---ATC will always help you out if you say "Student Pilot". They will even let you visit the tower and explain the whole process to you......Don't forget to take donuts or candy......... 8)
In this post 9/11 environment do they still allow tower visits?

Offline G-man

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2006, 06:56:49 AM »
Last I heard it was offand on. I think it varies depending upon the security status at the time. I know about a week ago anyone could visit a control tower as long as you called ahead, however, you have to be a US citizen to visit a tracon or radar facility.
Life may not be the party we hoped for---but while we're here--we might as well dance..........

Offline happylanding

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2006, 06:58:27 AM »
Last I heard it was offand on. I think it varies depending upon the security status at the time. I know about a week ago anyone could visit a control tower as long as you called ahead, however, you have to be a US citizen to visit a tracon or radar facility.

what do you mean by tracon? what is it?  ??? I never heard that thing before  ???
I give that landing a 9 . . . on the Richter scale.

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2006, 06:00:24 AM »

what do you mean by tracon? what is it?  ??? I never heard that thing before  ???

Those are the "center" controllers that you talk to en route or in the flight levels. 
"Well I know what's right, I got just one life
In a world that keeps on pushin' me around
But I stand my ground, and I won't back down"
  -Johnny Cash "I won't back Down"

Offline G-man

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2006, 12:54:46 AM »
Sorry----Tracon stands for Terminal Radar Approach Control.
http://www.faa.gov/ats/potomac/Tracon.htm

fireflyr

« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2006, 01:21:00 AM »

Those are the "center" controllers that you talk to en route or in the flight levels. 
Whoa Baradium---- That's wrong :-[