Author Topic: Hackers in my E-Mail!!!  (Read 4928 times)

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
Hackers in my E-Mail!!!
« on: March 17, 2010, 07:27:41 PM »
Hello all,

After a long (lucky?) run of not having problems with hackers/spam/etc., I woke up this morning to my nice neighbor standing at my door, with a printout of a scam message FROM MY E-MAIL account, in MY name, saying I was in desperate circumstances in Spain, and needed money immediately!

This has been beyond infuriating -- SO many nice people have been upset for nothing -- so I just want to mention it in here.  Frank was kind enough to propose I share this info, to clear things up, and I agree.

If I sent YOU a stupid scam message earlier today, I am PROFOUNDLY sorry!  It is NOT true!   ::complaining:

This is so irritating.  Also, for YOUR INFORMATION, a few people have indicated that when they initially responded, they were directed to an e-mail that ended with hotmall.com -- a lot like hotmail.com. 

I need to go call more people.   ::complaining:

::rambo::                    ::rambo::                       ::rambo::                       ::rambo::

Don't make me come back there!!!!

Offline G-man

• Alpha Rooster
  • Cogito sumere potum alterum.
Re: Hackers in my E-Mail!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 09:07:07 PM »
If I sent YOU a stupid scam message earlier today, I am PROFOUNDLY sorry!  It is NOT true!   ::complaining:

Bummer...So you did not want to ****** me all night long after all? I was getting excited and looking forward to it... ::whistle:: ::whistle::
Life may not be the party we hoped for---but while we're here--we might as well dance..........

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 10:22:49 PM »
BWAA  HAAA,  well, now that you mention it. I feel kinda SAD that my initial foray into the World of Evil Hackers revolved around a

dire story of a sick relative!!!!    ::)

Sheesh, I guess it COULDA been a wild tale of tables, tequila and crazy helicopter pilots.......!!!!    ::sulk::

::sulk::

::rofl::

::rofl::

Offline FlyboyGil

• Alpha Rooster
  • AW, CRAP!!!
    • MYSPACE!!!
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 11:31:08 PM »
Well that's just great! I sent the money already! Dang it!  ;)
IF YOU CAN'T SAY ANYTHING NICE, YOU'RE PROBABLY AT THE ICE CAPADES

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 02:59:41 PM »
same here, there goes a thousand bucks I'll never see again.....  ;)
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 09:13:59 PM »
Ha haa haaaa, a thousand bucks eh?!??  You guys are great!   Gee, maybe we should try this for REAL!   ::thinking:: 

We could all join forces, and end up with an airplane!   "CHUCK IS THAT YOU??!?"    ::rofl::

Even though some people DID get quite upset yesterday, which made me feel rotten, I'm trying to focus on the FUNNY calls and messages I got.....

One guy, who was my favorite DC-3 pilot in the world, said, "I KNEW it wasn't you -- no mention of beers, Pepe' [the jumping skunk], or hugs!"

Another retired guy called and just laughed, and said "NO WAY was that you -- you've never been that polite in your life!"

And I found out the jump base had a big briefing and the consensus was "Sorry!  NO money, but we'll send you flowers!"

Thank goodness for laughter!!     ::rofl::

:D

Offline gibbo_335

• Alpha Rooster
  • Flying the NT
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 09:37:49 PM »
HI 'Mom,
Hope you received my 9000 crownies to make your sick relative in Spain get better  ::wave:: >:D  ::drinking:: ::drinking::

Unfortunatley hackers and spammers are now all part of our lives, don't feel bad about it!   ;) I knew it wasn't from you... the e-mail wasn't signed off at the bottom correctly  :D
YEWWWwwwwwwwww

Offline Oddball

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
  • I crash better than anybody I know
    • Myspace profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2010, 09:55:43 PM »
And I'm all booked for a flight from Edinburgh To Barcalona tomorrow to see if I could meet S'Mom and share a jar or five   ::drinking:: ::banghead:: ::banghead:: ::complaining:  ::rofl::
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 10:11:58 PM by Oddball »
"You can teach monkeys to fly better than that!"and "spring chicken to sh**e hawk in one easy lesson"

Offline FlyboyGil

• Alpha Rooster
  • AW, CRAP!!!
    • MYSPACE!!!
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2010, 10:20:04 PM »
same here, there goes a thousand bucks I'll never see again.....  ;)

Well since it wasn't mom, maybe those guys will give us our money back.  :D :P
IF YOU CAN'T SAY ANYTHING NICE, YOU'RE PROBABLY AT THE ICE CAPADES

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2010, 02:54:52 AM »
HA !! great stories, mom!

I am glad you're a "glass-half-full" kind of gal!!

I knew it wasn't you since the email wasn't signed like you (like Gibbo said). I mailed them back asking them (him/her) to tell me the nick name at the CW forum and to sign the mail as usual to verify. Needless to say, I never heard anything els....

Sorry about the trouble you had though. Did you have to cancel/change your email address?
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

Offline 4X-NTY

• Rooster
  • Everythings is alright
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2010, 01:10:54 PM »
Did you scanned your computer viruses/spywares and such? most of the time it's not a hacker hacking an email,but a virus taking over an email and use the info in the email and your computer to know which name to enter in the mail.
Nitay "Pitz" Ronen

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2010, 08:58:23 PM »
Thanks for the ideas -- yes, all the scans, etc., came back just as clean as could be....  and they said it could have shown up some time ago and lingered in the background, or whatever you call that....  but, nothing could be found.    ::thinking::

Now it's just a battle to try to get some help out of MSN -- they claim they "need more time" but jeez, if I did my job this way, we'd all be dead a thousand times over!   ;D

So -- so far I don't need to change my e-mail address, BUT, if there's no help coming to retrieve all my lost files, then...  I'll switch to someone else.  SO far I am at around ZERO on the Impressed Scale....    ::whistle::

:)

P.S.  Got another good reply this morning -- the mechanics in the shop answered with:  "How much do you need?  We have a whole bucket full of money."

HAAAH!!!  As IF.     ::rofl::

Offline Oddball

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
  • I crash better than anybody I know
    • Myspace profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2010, 09:10:14 PM »
They must of sold off all the "spare parts" from engine overhauls  ::whistle::
"You can teach monkeys to fly better than that!"and "spring chicken to sh**e hawk in one easy lesson"