Author Topic: Emergancy Landing......  (Read 2857 times)

Offline Oddball

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
  • I crash better than anybody I know
    • Myspace profile
Emergancy Landing......
« on: March 16, 2010, 05:59:37 PM »
 :-\ :-[ :'(

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/5/20100316/tod-beachgoer-killed-in-emergency-plane-870a197.html

Beachgoer Killed In Emergency Plane Landing
A plane forced to make an emergency landing as the engine shut down and the propeller came off has killed a man exercising on the beach where it touched down. Skip related content
The doomed flyer reported engine trouble at 13,000ft above South Carolina.

It was trying to reach a nearby airport when the propeller flew off.

The pilot aborted the plan and was hunting for somewhere safe to land when he spotted the long stretch of sand along Palmetto Dunes.

But oil began pouring out of the plane, splattering the windshield and blocking the pilot's vision.

As the plane came in to land on the coastline, it struck and killed the beachgoer, according to fire and rescue spokeswoman Joheida Fister.

The names of the man killed, the pilot and his male passenger have not been released following the incident, which took place late on Monday.

Both survivors were taken to the Beaufort County Sheriff's Office ahead of the investigation into the crash.

The landing occurred just three miles from Hilton Head island's airport.

The plane - an Experimental Lancair IV-P - had been travelling from Orlando Executive airport in Florida, bound for Norfolk, Virginia.
"You can teach monkeys to fly better than that!"and "spring chicken to sh**e hawk in one easy lesson"

Offline Lt.Fubar

• Fledgling
  • Chasing the sunset
Re: Emergancy Landing......
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 09:27:15 PM »
Well... it was a Lancair - those are magnets for trouble.

So far those were only killing pilots and passengers. 1 out of every 10 Lancairs - crashes, in 3 out of 5 crashes there are fatalities. I dare to ask what have worse safety record ?

And Mitsubishi A6M doesn't count !
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 09:30:39 PM by Lt.Fubar »
“I'm a leaf on a wind, watch how I soar.” Hoban 'Wash' Washburne