Author Topic: Possum Rampage! ;)  (Read 3799 times)

Offline spacer

• Alpha Rooster
Possum Rampage! ;)
« on: March 14, 2010, 09:31:32 AM »
Well, dang... I wish I'd thought to get pictures!

I awoke about an hour ago to yell at Lucy and Twizzler to shut up, as they were barking in the house... but for only a second, as it was clear that their tone was serious. I grabbed my boomstick and made my way to the front door to see who was outside (figured it might be the paper guy with the Sunday rag) and saw a big, scared possum cowering in the corner by the front door.

Hoo! "Honey, wake up! You gotta see this!"

Well, Mrs S is a city girl, and just about clawed her way to the ceiling... then made her way to her cellphone while yelling at me not to shoot it. Ok, I figured I didn't want to fix a hole in the floor anyhow, so I went poking around the house for a solution. None of our plastic broomsticks would easily come apart for what I had planned, so I had Mrs V stand in the entry hallway with a push broom and our noisy vacuum cleaner while I dug around and pulled out my ol' Pardner 12ga single.

Yeah. That'd show the possum a thing or three... but I pulled the stock off and threaded a length of cat-5 cable, doubled, through the muzzle end, and pulled the loose ends out the chamber, forming a 10" loop on the business side. Thus armed with a makeshift restrainer like my 'good old days' as an Animal Control officer, I was able to cinch the loop around the possum's neck and carry it outside to the wooded area nearby. When I returned to the house, we tracked the guy's mud trail through the house, and it had made it into our bedroom when the dogs awoke and chased it to the doorway. So, Kudos, Lucy and Twizzler... you've earned your extra treats tonight.

Also, now My dear spouse can tell her friends that you can, in fact, capture a possum with a 12 gauge, without hurting it at all.

Still... wish I'd thought to get pictures.

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
Re: Possum Rampage! ;)
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 10:22:12 AM »
 ::bow::

::bow::

Good work!!  I am impressed -- what good thinking!!  Were all the neighbors up, and watching you??  (And are you going to be in the morning paper??)   :D

Those darned dogs DO earn their keep (well, sometimes, anyway).....  which reminds me of a similar story when I once tore out of the house to see what the 2 a.m. ruckus was out by the corral...  being in a rush, I didn't grab my GLASSES (Okay, Oddy, jump in <HERE>!!)......  it appeared in the moonlight that the six huge dogs were circling a coiled-up bull snake.....  no big deal....

Let's just say I ended up getting a LOT closer to a mad badger than I ever would have if I could have seen what I was doing!!!!!!!!!!!    ::rofl::

;D
Don't make me come back there!!!!

Offline Oddball

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
  • I crash better than anybody I know
    • Myspace profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 05:02:16 PM »
*look of innocence* why bring me into this? I'm hurt  :'(
"You can teach monkeys to fly better than that!"and "spring chicken to sh**e hawk in one easy lesson"

Offline spacer

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 03:02:26 PM »
The neighbors either didn't notice the ruckus, or didn't care. Zoe slept through the whole thing, too.

A friend of mine at the airport who used to live near Frisco told me they had a lot of 'em out there.
Sometimes they'd slip a looped cord around the critter's neck and take 'em for walks.

Yeah, he could be full of it, but I got a nice chuckle thinking about it. In California they put all sorts of critters on leashes, in the South, we put 'em on sticks and deep-fry 'em.

Offline undatc

• Alpha Rooster
  • Standby, I have your request......
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 06:19:57 AM »
In California they put all sorts of critters on leashes, in the South, we put 'em on sticks and deep-fry 'em.

Ah, such are the differences that make this country of ours great!
-the content of the previous post does not represent the opinions of the FAA or NATCA, and is my own personal opinion...

Offline Jean Loup

• Cockerel
  • born under an obnoxious star
    • jean, the barefooted D.i.Y'er
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 06:50:37 PM »
The neighbors either didn't notice the ruckus, or didn't care. Zoe slept through the whole thing, too.

A friend of mine at the airport who used to live near Frisco told me they had a lot of 'em out there.
Sometimes they'd slip a looped cord around the critter's neck and take 'em for walks.

Yeah, he could be full of it, but I got a nice chuckle thinking about it. In California they put all sorts of critters on leashes, in the South, we put 'em on sticks and deep-fry 'em.
No, he was not full of it...in Oaxaca state, children (10-12 year olds) grab them by the tail, (their tail is prehensile... the Opossum's tail, I mean!) and take them around for a walk. But it is like having a pig for a masscot: sooner or later, it's gona be eaten! They are absolutly delicious...their fault! They taste better than kittens... ::rofl:: ::rofl:: ::rofl::