Author Topic: No More Space Shuttle!  (Read 4662 times)

Offline gibbo_335

• Alpha Rooster
  • Flying the NT
No More Space Shuttle!
« on: February 17, 2010, 06:30:02 AM »
LMAO!!!! I had almost collected enough miles for  a free trip to the moon!!!!  ::rofl:: ::rofl:: ::rofl:: ::rofl:: ::rofl:: ::rofl::
YEWWWwwwwwwwww

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
Re: No More Space Shuttle!
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 07:05:47 AM »
Yeah that was a great joke :D

Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Rooster Cruiser

• Alpha Rooster
  • Retired Chicken Hauler
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 09:03:32 AM »
It is a sour Joke.   >:( ::complaining: ::banghead:: ::rambo::

There is nothing more painful to me than to see the end of the Space Shuttle program and there is NO replacement scheduled for it now!

What had been scheduled (Orion) was apparently over-ambitious, over-zealous, over-bureaucratic, over-schedule, AND over budget!

Calls to privatise Space have been made for a long time, and maybe it was about time for NASA to get out of the "Space Trucking" business and leave it to private enterprise.

But why did it take so long?  Why is the USA now (again) without a Manned-Space program launch vehicle?  This is what irritates me to no end.  Politics and Pork-Barrel spending by US congressmen and Senators have stifled true innovation and turned NASA into a bloated bureaucracy where engineers literally spend their days throwing paper airplanes around between cubicles... if what I have read elsewhere is to be believed.

I grew up in the Space Program and the Race to the Moon between the USA and USSR in the 1960's.  My father was manufacturing supervisor of the doors and windows on Apollo I.  Prior to that, he had helped build such interesting airplanes as the X-15 and the XB-70 Valkerie.  My inspiration as a child was to be an Astronaut.  Less than perfect eyesight prevented me from being accepted into a US Military Academy guarenteed pilot program, so I knew I could never become one of those Spacemen but I still decided to pursue my dream of aviation.  As time went on, I realized I loved aviation so much I needed to make a career of it.

Seeing my country without a manned space program is galling to someone like me.

RC
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 09:29:04 AM by Rooster Cruiser »
"Me 'n Earl was haulin' chickens / On a flatbed outta Wiggins..."

Wolf Creek Pass, by CW McCall

Offline Oddball

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
  • I crash better than anybody I know
    • Myspace profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 11:00:43 AM »
It is a shame to see such a innovative vehicle grounded  :(
"You can teach monkeys to fly better than that!"and "spring chicken to sh**e hawk in one easy lesson"

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 08:08:13 PM »
Well said Rooster!

The "miles to the moon" line was intended to have your exact reaction! (I was almost worried after nobody commented on it right away yesterday)
It was supposed to be somewhat funny but it means so much more to us.

We are VERY dissappointed (can't even put it ito words, just stupid jokes I guess) that manned space exploration and the return to the moon got cancelled. I hope it's only temporary but I am afraid it may not be since the dollar and the economy just doesn't seem to get a break and won't for many years to come (best case scenario), the way I see it.....
Another shock for me was that Buzz Aldrin actually advocated not flying man into space anymore as well. He called it too dangerous. It almost makes me wonder for the first time if we really ever went to the moon. Not to mention the enormous disappointment with the current government.......

Since we obviously haven't worked this out in our heads yet psychologically . . .  expect Chuck to also react to those troublesome news.....
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

Offline G-man

• Alpha Rooster
  • Cogito sumere potum alterum.
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2010, 08:18:29 PM »
Errrr...I have a house for sale right outside Cape Canaveral if anyone is interested... Many of my neighbors are former NASA engineers and current USA, (United Space Alliance) employees. For those who do not know--the shuttle is operated by USA---NOT NASA. I even have a shuttle astronaut living up the road from me...
Life may not be the party we hoped for---but while we're here--we might as well dance..........

Offline Rooster Cruiser

• Alpha Rooster
  • Retired Chicken Hauler
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2010, 08:20:32 PM »
(I was almost worried after nobody commented on it right away yesterday)

I didn't comment right away because I needed a little time and a few adult beverages before I could sort out my various emotions and make a few comprehensible sentences out of them.   ::drinking::

RC
"Me 'n Earl was haulin' chickens / On a flatbed outta Wiggins..."

Wolf Creek Pass, by CW McCall

Offline Lt.Fubar

• Fledgling
  • Chasing the sunset
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 11:32:00 AM »
Don't worry, Burt Rutan team will figure something out... you know, for profit and glory ;)
“I'm a leaf on a wind, watch how I soar.” Hoban 'Wash' Washburne

Offline BrianGMFS

• Rooster
  • My other car is a Firefly
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2010, 11:49:34 PM »
Don't worry, Burt Rutan team will figure something out... you know, for profit and glory ;)

With Richard Branson's Virgin logo painted on the hull...

Not that I don't like Sir Richard. He's done quite a bit for aviation and space in general.

Brian

-

"Take my love, take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me."