Author Topic: Iron Eagle  (Read 8260 times)

Offline Darrell Mims

Iron Eagle
« on: January 19, 2010, 02:00:02 PM »
 ::)  Shouldn't that be .02 M !

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
Re: Iron Eagle
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 05:00:00 PM »
::)  Shouldn't that be .02 M !

feels like that sometimes, doesn't it?!?!  ;)

Don't let Cessna hear you say that though!  ;D
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

Offline Darrell Mims

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 05:19:44 PM »
 :D  (top gun)     Ride in  to the Danger Zone............

Offline Darrell Mims

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 05:20:37 PM »
 ::rambo::   Goose you see Viper !!!

Offline spacer

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 09:08:49 PM »
Yeah, so long as he doesn't try to emulate the Cessna flight near the beginning of the movie.
Woot!

Offline YawningMan

• Cockerel
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2010, 02:01:41 AM »
I must be the only aviation enthusiast in the world who can't stand Top Gun.

With movies like Empire of the Sun and Always I think I'm doing well enough without Top Gun.

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2010, 04:44:28 AM »
As I wrote a few weeks ago when I saw this strip at Trade-A-Plane, then the Cessna sequence is the only good thing in the movie for me, except maybe also the music. Was it Art Scholl who flew the Aerobat? I think I read it somewhere but now I can't find it.

YawningMan: There's a guy that made some fantastic MS FSX movies, he states he's totally allergic to any song that was on the Top Gun soundtrack, that comes close right? That being said then don't you at least like the footage of the F-14's? That the flying broke rule after rule, and might've been a bit unrealistic (Goose hitting the canopy despite the high seatback) that's another matter. What about Chevalier du Ciel (actually based on a classic european comic), it's been called the Top Gun movie for the 21st century, and I think it fits. There are a few unrealistic things here too and the Mirage 2000C might not be quite as "powerful" to look at as the Tomcat but the flying footage they did makes Top Gun look like a cheap B-movie from the 60s.

Btw, you mentioned Always, I haven't seen it in years so I wasn't sure how much flying there was, but since you mention it I take it that it's got some good scenes in it? I also like the actors who are in it so maybe I should see if I can't find it on DVD, it seems like an overlooked movie so it's probably very possible to find it at a low price.

Frank
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 04:46:08 AM by Frank N. O. »
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Oddball

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
  • I crash better than anybody I know
    • Myspace profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2010, 08:18:47 AM »
Iron Eagle? nah I'll stick to Battle of Brittain thank you very much lots of Spitfires, Hurricanes and pretend "Heinkels" and "Messerschmits"  ;D
"You can teach monkeys to fly better than that!"and "spring chicken to sh**e hawk in one easy lesson"

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2010, 07:39:30 PM »
What's funny about TOP GUN is that when you go to an aviation human factors class or a error management class (CRM, SMS, the list is long), "Maveric" actually stands out as the perfect bad example.
All the "Dangerous Attitudes" which most of you (hopefully) are familiar with, have "Maverick"written all over it. He basically does everything aviation frowns upon.

I bet there were a few really disappointed guys who started flying after watching how "cool" Maverick was! HA HA!!  ::rofl:: ::rofl::

Hazardous Attitude                                                 Antidote

Anti-Authority:    "Don't tell me."                            "Follow the rules. They are usually right." 

Impulsivity:         "Do something - quickly."               "Not so fast. Think first." 

Invulnerability:    "It won't happen to me."               "It could happen to me."

Macho:             "I can do it."                                 "Taking chances is dumb." 

Deference:       "What's the use."                           "I'm not helpless. I can make a difference." 

Still like Top Gun though! It's a classic I grew up with!!

"I feel the need . . . the need for speed!"   ;)
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

Offline Rooster Cruiser

• Alpha Rooster
  • Retired Chicken Hauler
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2010, 10:32:48 PM »
"Always" is still my favorite all time movie.  You may have a tough time finding it Frank, but its well worth the effort!

RC
"Me 'n Earl was haulin' chickens / On a flatbed outta Wiggins..."

Wolf Creek Pass, by CW McCall

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2010, 07:36:38 AM »
Actually, I see a nordic DVD version of Always was just released on DVD just 3 months ago so that'll be easy, and it's half price of a new DVD release too (99 DKK = 11.66 GBP = 18.79 USD).
I see a Battle of Britain 2-disc DVD release also, and for the same price but not sure if it's the one Oddy mentions. Speaking of aviation movies, I remember watching a tv-series when I was a kid, around the mid-80s, about a WWI flying squadron, any idea of what series it was? I remember the final scene of the series too if that can help. Edit: Maybe it could've been the BBC drama-series called Wings, made in 1976-1977 but I haven't been able to find a picture or clip anywhere.

Mike: Didn't the US Navy place recruitment centers at large cinemas and actually got a big amount of new recruit around the time of the movie?

Frank
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 08:14:39 AM by Frank N. O. »
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline 4X-NTY

• Rooster
  • Everythings is alright
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2010, 11:13:13 AM »
Actually, I see a nordic DVD version of Always was just released on DVD just 3 months ago so that'll be easy, and it's half price of a new DVD release too (99 DKK = 11.66 GBP = 18.79 USD).
I see a Battle of Britain 2-disc DVD release also, and for the same price but not sure if it's the one Oddy mentions. Speaking of aviation movies, I remember watching a tv-series when I was a kid, around the mid-80s, about a WWI flying squadron, any idea of what series it was? I remember the final scene of the series too if that can help. Edit: Maybe it could've been the BBC drama-series called Wings, made in 1976-1977 but I haven't been able to find a picture or clip anywhere.

Mike: Didn't the US Navy place recruitment centers at large cinemas and actually got a big amount of new recruit around the time of the movie?

Frank

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0155387/
Is this helpful?
Nitay "Pitz" Ronen

Offline Oddball

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
    • Myspace profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2010, 12:48:58 PM »
There is only THE one film called Battle of Britain Frank if its the speacial two disk DVD it should be in a white cover?
"You can teach monkeys to fly better than that!"and "spring chicken to sh**e hawk in one easy lesson"

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2010, 04:56:00 PM »
4X: The characters and description on imdb does seem familiar and since there doesn't appear to be any other WWI tv-series when using their search engine then it must be it.

Oddy: 1967, just over 2 hours long starring Christopher Plummer, Laurence Olivier, Michael Caine and several other notable names, directed by Guy Hamilton?
And thanks for the link to the video of the EMT finish :)

Frank
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Oddball

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
    • Myspace profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2010, 05:37:46 PM »
Yep that the one Frank