Author Topic: OIS! NPG! IGIRA!  (Read 4543 times)

Offline Rooster Cruiser

• Alpha Rooster
  • Retired Chicken Hauler
OIS! NPG! IGIRA!
« on: January 12, 2010, 08:28:40 PM »
Uhm... are you guys referring to us pilots in this strip?  This reads suspiciously like some teenagers text!   ::thinking::  About all that was left out was an "LOL".  Hehe.

Good one all the same.  We aviators do seem to have our own language made up from the alphabet-soup acronyms we have in our everyday lives.  I know it frustrates non-aviators because they cannot follow a pilot conversation even though they understand "English".

RC
"Me 'n Earl was haulin' chickens / On a flatbed outta Wiggins..."

Wolf Creek Pass, by CW McCall

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
Re: OIS! NPG! IGIRA!
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 09:00:41 AM »
Heh heh, GOOD for HER!!   All these silly abbreviations do get to be a bit much, don't they??

Every time I have a new spotter, they always ask why there are so many STOOOPID names for everything....

and i haven't found a good answer, yet....    ;)

Good strip!!   ::bow::
Don't make me come back there!!!!

Offline cotejy

• Rooster
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 03:57:22 PM »
When I started flying lessons, it took me some time to get the language and all those acronyms and abreviation were very confusing. I remember one in perticular that made me go  ::banghead::.

VNC (VFR Navigation Chart)  Who got the idea to create an acronym with an acronym in it?

Acronyms and abreviations, think about it, each morning, we wake up, take a coffee, open the computer and our chances of surviving the day depends on if we can understand something like this:

TAF CYMX 131138Z 1312/1412 24005KT P6SM OVC100 FM131500 26005KT P6SM OVC040 TEMPO 1315/1322 3SM -SN BKN020 OVC050 FM132200 VRB03KT P6SM OVC030 TEMPO 1322/1403 OVC020 FM140300 VRB03KT 5SM BR OVC020 FM140500 VRB03KT 5SM BR OVC012 PROB30 1405/1412 2SM -FZDZ BR OVC004 RMK NXT FCST BY 131800Z=

Offline Oddball

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
  • I crash better than anybody I know
    • Myspace profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 05:03:24 PM »
Talking about acronym within an acronym what about VOR (VHF Omni-Directional Radio Range). where did the "d" and that extra "R" come from ?  ::loony:: ::complaining: ::banghead:: :o
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 05:04:59 PM by Oddball »
"You can teach monkeys to fly better than that!"and "spring chicken to sh**e hawk in one easy lesson"

Offline Fabo

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
  • If flying is a drug,then I am a first class addict
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 05:27:50 PM »
cotejy: Quite nice forecast you have at Mirabel. Although I will gladly do without the freezing drizzle, thanks :)

Aviatiors are known for strange abbrevs here too. Even virtual ones. Like when I write on Facebook:
"See METAR LKPR. Nice IFR wx. Think I'll take BAC 1-11 in from LROP (nice scenery from RSDT, works with AES) I wonder if RVR allows for CAT II or CAT III, might as well divert to my ALTN LKTB"
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Offline YawningMan

• Cockerel
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2010, 02:03:44 AM »
In the Marines, I got to the point where I just knew what the acronyms meant, not what they stood for.

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2010, 04:45:42 AM »
In the Marines, I got to the point where I just knew what the acronyms meant, not what they stood for.
Hehe, sounds like an efficient idea as long as you don't need to know the individual words and their meanings. I use the same technique on other acronyms.

Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Firegirl

• Cockerel
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2010, 06:24:56 PM »
OMG!

TSIA !!
 ::rofl:: ::rofl::
("this strip is awesome!)
If you ever reach total enlightenment while drinking beer, I bet you could shoot beer out of you nose.  --- Jack Handy