Author Topic: what kind of plane is this?  (Read 18143 times)

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
what kind of plane is this?
« on: December 24, 2009, 10:42:14 PM »
saw this at the FBO the other day. CUTE!!
what is it and how much would Chuck pay for it he wanted one?
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

Offline Rooster Cruiser

• Alpha Rooster
  • Retired Chicken Hauler
Re: what kind of plane is this?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2009, 10:55:14 PM »
This is an Eclipse 500, the wonder of Albuquerque.

It was a great idea on paper, but it was designed and built by ex-Microsoft engineers and released in Beta version.   :o  I've heard horror stories from guys that fly them where they cannot seem to have a single flight where everything works right.

Eclipse went T/U a year ago, and the 250 or so airplanes have become orphans.  I understand that there is a new company that bought the assets at court auction and they are now offering Mx support... but at a HUGE markup.

Controller.com lists 25 EA500's for sale.  Asking prices start at $1 million, but no one is spending that kind of money on these lemons.  You could probably offer $500,000 and walk away with one.  The question is whether you could fly it home without declaring a mayday.

RC
« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 10:59:55 PM by Rooster Cruiser »
"Me 'n Earl was haulin' chickens / On a flatbed outta Wiggins..."

Wolf Creek Pass, by CW McCall

Offline undatc

• Alpha Rooster
  • Standby, I have your request......
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2009, 06:30:29 PM »
VLJ = very little jets

These guys are really annoying.  We want to instate a rule where you cannot fly higher than your airspeed.  FL300 and 190 kts is just wrong, makes a nice speed bump. ::sulk::
-the content of the previous post does not represent the opinions of the FAA or NATCA, and is my own personal opinion...

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2009, 08:59:54 PM »
VLJ = very little jets

These guys are really annoying.  We want to instate a rule where you cannot fly higher than your airspeed.  FL300 and 190 kts is just wrong, makes a nice speed bump. ::sulk::

wow, I thought they's be faster!! what's the point of paying a million bucks and end up with turbines just to go the speed of a Mooney ?!?!  ::unbelieveable::

too bad they're POS's ! I thought they looked cool.
maybe in the future they'll come up with something similar that actually works....

Offline 4X-NTY

• Rooster
  • Everythings is alright
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2009, 09:41:08 PM »
The point is that you can chase a mooney without a problem, but let's see that mooney chasing you at 30,000 feet!
Nitay "Pitz" Ronen

Offline undatc

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2009, 03:56:55 AM »
VLJ = very little jets

wow, I thought they's be faster!! what's the point of paying a million bucks and end up with turbines just to go the speed of a Mooney ?!?!  ::unbelieveable::

too bad they're POS's ! I thought they looked cool.
maybe in the future they'll come up with something similar that actually works....

Well let me backtrack a bit, 190kts at FL300 is still fast.  As you climb higher IAS isn't a good indicator of speed, thats why we shift over to mach speed.  Still, they only do like mach .72 which is sooooooo slow.
-the content of the previous post does not represent the opinions of the FAA or NATCA, and is my own personal opinion...

Offline Oddball

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
  • I crash better than anybody I know
    • Myspace profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2009, 12:03:56 PM »
Is that the A/C that had the computers go tits up in mid flight?
"You can teach monkeys to fly better than that!"and "spring chicken to sh**e hawk in one easy lesson"

Offline Rooster Cruiser

• Alpha Rooster
  • Retired Chicken Hauler
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2009, 01:04:26 AM »
Is that the A/C that had the computers go tits up in mid flight?

Yup.  Read this NTSB incident report for an idea of what these pilots are up against.

http://ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=20080612X00845&key=1

Both engines' FADECs went to full thrust when the throttles went 'out' of parameters.  The pilot shut down the right engine, which reset the right FADEC.  The left engine FADEC read this reset, and per its logic it reset itself to the 'good' reading which was zero.  So by shutting down the right engine, the pilot had BOTH engines shut down and he had to make a dead-stick landing!

Makes me think there are advantages to having cable throttle controls that were not designed by ex-Microsoft Engineers...   ::thinking::

RC

« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 01:26:23 AM by Rooster Cruiser »
"Me 'n Earl was haulin' chickens / On a flatbed outta Wiggins..."

Wolf Creek Pass, by CW McCall

Offline Skid Kid

• Fledgling
  • Zulu Time!
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2009, 09:57:03 AM »
But did they see the blue screen of death?
Don't worry, it'll buff out.

Offline The_Muppet

• Fledgling
    • wildlandphotos
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2009, 11:29:35 PM »

Sounds like the stories I read about the Aegis Cruisers running on Windows NT.  From this wikipedia entry...
...Atlantic Fleet officials acknowledged that the Yorktown experienced what they termed “an engineering local area network casualty.”...

Offline undatc

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2010, 04:00:45 PM »
UND, where I went to school, had bought the slots for the first 1 or 2 of these while they were still in production.  About half way through, they got the bright idea to sell these slots off to someone else, made a bunch of money off the sell, and turned around and bought a Citation Mustang instead.  UND got pretty dang lucky.

Offline YawningMan

• Cockerel
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2010, 02:53:25 AM »
I guess those Microsoft guys should have stuck with Flight Sim.

You'd think they'd wise up and test the software on the computers better than that.

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2010, 04:47:05 AM »
YawningMan: It was Aces Studios who made MS Flight Simulator, and MS fired every one and closed the studio last year :(

Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline spacer

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2010, 07:06:47 PM »

Sounds like the stories I read about the Aegis Cruisers running on Windows NT.  From this wikipedia entry...
...Atlantic Fleet officials acknowledged that the Yorktown experienced what they termed “an engineering local area network casualty.”...

At least they weren't running Vista on it. That woulda been messy.
 :o

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2010, 07:42:51 PM »

At least they weren't running Vista on it. That woulda been messy.
 :o

I smell a strip coming on . . .  ;D