Author Topic: ATIS question  (Read 6635 times)

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
ATIS question
« on: December 07, 2009, 11:40:56 PM »
one thing I have always wondered:

Are there any requirements for the tower on when to change the ATIS?
Like, a windshift over a certain amount of degrees, or certain strengh?
How about visibility?
Is there parameters when the controllers HAVE to change the ATIS or is it their discretion?

Does anybody know?
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
Re: ATIS question
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 12:17:02 AM »
Just peeked at the AIM, and it doesn't say too much -- just:

"ATIS broadcast shall be updated upon the receipt of any official hourly and special weather. A new recording will also be made when there is a change in other pertinent data such as runway change, instrument approach in use, etc."

It says that ATC is to advise the pilot with any newer info, when the pilot reports with an old ATIS ID.

If I see anything else, I'll add it later...   ::wave::

;)

One more bit:

When a pilot acknowledges receipt of the ATIS broadcast, controllers may omit those items contained in the broadcast if they are current. Rapidly changing conditions will be issued by ATC and the ATIS will contain words as follows:

EXAMPLE-
"Latest ceiling/visibility/altimeter/wind/(other conditions) will be issued by approach control/tower."

::wave::
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 12:21:15 AM by TheSoccerMom »
Don't make me come back there!!!!

Offline undatc

• Alpha Rooster
  • Standby, I have your request......
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 01:16:13 AM »
Although I am just a center jockey, here is your answer...

The book you're looking for is the 7110.65 revision S.  This order is the ATC bible and has all the regs and hoopla that go with it.  I bold faced and increased the font size of the part that specifically pertains to your question.

For the Specific chapter about ATIS: http://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publications/atpubs/ATC/atc0209.html#atc0209.html.1

And for the HTML Link to the whole meal deal: http://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publications/atpubs/ATC/INDEX.HTM

Section 9. Automatic Terminal Information Service Procedures

2-9-1. APPLICATION

Use the ATIS, where available, to provide advance noncontrol airport/terminal area and meteorological information to aircraft.

a. Identify each ATIS message by a phonetic letter code word at both the beginning and the end of the message. Automated systems will have the phonetic letter code automatically appended. Exceptions may be made where omissions are required because of special programs or equipment.

1. Each alphabet letter phonetic word shall be used sequentially, except as authorized in subpara a2, beginning with “Alpha,” ending with “Zulu,” and repeated without regard to the beginning of a new day. Identify the first resumed broadcast message with “Alpha” or the first assigned alphabet letter word in the event of a broadcast interruption of more than 12 hours.

2. Specific sequential portions of the alphabet may be assigned between facilities or an arrival and departure ATIS when designated by a letter of agreement or facility directive.

REFERENCE-
FAAO JO 7210.3, Para 10-4-1, Automatic Terminal Information Service (ATIS).

b. The ATIS recording shall be reviewed for completeness, accuracy, speech rate, and proper enunciation before being transmitted.

c. Arrival and departure messages, when broadcast separately, need only contain information appropriate for that operation.

2-9-2. OPERATING PROCEDURES

Maintain an ATIS message that reflects the most current arrival and departure information.

a. Make a new recording when any of the following occur:

1. Upon receipt of any new official weather regardless of whether there is or is not a change in values.

2. When runway braking action reports are received that indicate runway braking is worse than that which is included in the current ATIS broadcast.

3. When there is a change in any other pertinent data, such as runway change, instrument approach in use, new or canceled NOTAMs/PIREPs/HIWAS update, etc.

b. When a pilot acknowledges that he/she has received the ATIS broadcast, controllers may omit those items contained in the broadcasts if they are current. Rapidly changing conditions will be issued by ATC, and the ATIS will contain the following:

EXAMPLE-
“Latest ceiling/visibility/altimeter/wind/(other conditions) will be issued by approach control/tower.”

c. Broadcast on all appropriate frequencies to advise aircraft of a change in the ATIS code/message.

d. Controllers shall ensure that pilots receive the most current pertinent information. Ask the pilot to confirm receipt of the current ATIS information if the pilot does not initially state the appropriate ATIS code. Controllers shall ensure that changes to pertinent operational information is provided after the initial confirmation of ATIS information is established. Issue the current weather, runway in use, approach information, and pertinent NOTAMs to pilots who are unable to receive the ATIS.

EXAMPLE-
“Verify you have information ALPHA.”

“Information BRAVO now current, visibility three miles.”

“Information CHARLIE now current, Ceiling 1500 Broken.”

“Information CHARLIE now current, advise when you have CHARLIE.”

2-9-3. CONTENT

Include the following in ATIS broadcast as appropriate:

a. Airport/facility name, phonetic letter code, time of weather sequence (UTC). Weather information consisting of wind direction and velocity, visibility, obstructions to vision, present weather, sky condition, temperature, dew point, altimeter, a density altitude advisory when appropriate and other pertinent remarks included in the official weather observation. Wind direction, velocity, and altimeter shall be reported from certified direct reading instruments. Temperature and dew point should be reported from certified direct reading sensors when available. Always include weather observation remarks of lightning, cumulonimbus, and towering cumulus clouds.

NOTE-
ASOS/AWOS is to be considered the primary source of wind direction, velocity, and altimeter data for weather observation purposes at those locations that are so equipped. The ASOS Operator Interface Device (OID) displays the magnetic wind as “MAG WND” in the auxiliary data location in the lower left-hand portion of the screen. Other OID displayed winds are true and are not to be used for operational purposes.

b. Man-Portable Air Defense Systems (MANPADS) alert and advisory. Specify the nature and location of threat or incident, whether reported or observed and by whom, time (if known), and notification to pilots to advise ATC if they need to divert.

EXAMPLE-
1. “MANPADS alert. Exercise extreme caution. MANPADS threat reported by TSA, Chicago area.” “Advise on initial contact if you want to divert.”

2. “MANPADS alert. Exercise extreme caution. MANPADS attack observed by tower one-half mile northwest of airfield at one-two-five-zero Zulu.” “Advise on initial contact if you want to divert.”

REFERENCE-
FAAO JO 7110.65, Para 10-2-13, MANPADS Alert.
FAAO JO 7210.3, Para 2-1-9, Handling MANPADS Incidents.

c. Terminal facilities shall include reported unauthorized laser illumination events on the ATIS broadcast for one hour following the last report. Include the time, location, altitude, color, and direction of the laser as reported by the pilot.

PHRASEOLOGY-
UNAUTHORIZED LASER ILLUMINATION EVENT, (UTC time), (location), (altitude), (color), (direction).

EXAMPLE-
UNAUTHORIZED LASER ILLUMINATION EVENT, AT 0100z, 8 MILE FINAL RUNWAY 18R AT 3,000 FEET, GREEN LASER FROM THE SOUTHWEST.

REFERENCE-
FAAO JO 7110.65, Para 10-2-14, Unauthorized Laser Illumination of Aircraft.
FAAO JO 7210.3, Para 2-1-27, Reporting Unauthorized Laser Illumination of Aircraft.

d. The ceiling/sky condition, visibility, and obstructions to vision may be omitted if the ceiling is above 5,000 feet and the visibility is more than 5 miles.

EXAMPLE-
A remark may be made, “The weather is better than five thousand and five.”

e. Instrument/visual approach/s in use. Specify landing runway/s unless the runway is that to which the instrument approach is made.

f. Departure runway/s (to be given only if different from landing runway/s or in the instance of a “departure only” ATIS).

g. Taxiway closures which affect the entrance or exit of active runways, other closures which impact airport operations, other NOTAMs and PIREPs pertinent to operations in the terminal area. Inform pilots of where hazardous weather is occurring and how the information may be obtained. Include available information of known bird activity.

REFERENCE-
FAAO JO 7110.65, Para 2-1-22, Bird Activity Information.

h. Runway braking action or friction reports when provided. Include the time of the report and a word describing the cause of the runway friction problem.

PHRASEOLOGY-
RUNWAY (number) MU (first value, second value, third value) AT (time), (cause).

EXAMPLE-
“Runway Two Seven, MU forty-two, forty-one, twenty-eight at one zero one eight Zulu, ice.”

REFERENCE-
FAAO JO 7110.65, Para 3-3-5, Braking Action Advisories.

i. Other optional information as local conditions dictate in coordination with ATC. This may include such items as VFR arrival frequencies, temporary airport conditions, LAHSO operations being con-ducted, or other perishable items that may appear only for a matter of hours or a few days on the ATIS message.

j. Low level wind shear/microburst when reported by pilots or is detected on a wind shear detection system.

REFERENCE-
FAAO JO 7110.65, Para 3-1-8, Low Level Wind Shear/Microburst Advisories.

k. A statement which advises the pilot to read back instructions to hold short of a runway. The air traffic manager may elect to remove this requirement 60 days after implementation provided that removing the statement from the ATIS does not result in increased requests from aircraft for read back of hold short instructions.

l. Instructions for the pilot to acknowledge receipt of the ATIS message by informing the controller on initial contact.

EXAMPLE-
“Boston Tower Information Delta. One four zero zero Zulu. Wind two five zero at one zero. Visibility one zero. Ceiling four thousand five hundred broken. Temperature three four. Dew point two eight. Altimeter three zero one zero. ILS-DME Runway Two Seven Approach in use. Departing Runway Two Two Right. Hazardous Weather Information for (geographical area) available on HIWAS, Flight Watch, or Flight Service Frequencies. Advise on initial contact you have Delta.”
-the content of the previous post does not represent the opinions of the FAA or NATCA, and is my own personal opinion...

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 01:28:01 AM »
hey thanks guys!

if I understand that correctly though:
for example
there could have been a 30 degree crosswind coming from the right which switches to now come from the left, but as long as the runway doesn't change, there will be no new ATIS, right?!

so it would depend on what the controller sees as "pertinent data".....  ::thinking::
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

Offline undatc

• Alpha Rooster
  • Standby, I have your request......
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 01:43:38 AM »
hey thanks guys!

if I understand that correctly though:
for example
there could have been a 30 degree crosswind coming from the right which switches to now come from the left, but as long as the runway doesn't change, there will be no new ATIS, right?!

so it would depend on what the controller sees as "pertinent data".....  ::thinking::

True, however a wind shift like that, would incure a SP metar, and I'm pretty sure that would warrant a new atis.  I know at LMT and OTH (both of the towers I work with), I've gotten atis updates for all kinds of things.  A lot of our job is considered "good controller judgment", and they spend years drilling that into us.  However it still leaves a lot of gray area, which we as controllers know how to exploit to move traffic.

For instance, you pop off an uncontrolled airport and are below the minimum IFR altitude in that area, requesting a pick up IFR.  You state that you can maintain your own terrain/obstruction clearance in the climb and request to be cleared direct destination.  We LEGALLY cannot issue that clearance until you're above our MIA and can ensure your separation, however we can say, "cleared as requested."  The loop hole is that, we're not giving you course or altitude guidance so therefore the FAA is not liable if you crash and die.  We've just exploited that gray area.

Chapter in the Terminal portion of the .65, under airport conditions there is more if you're interested in reading.

http://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publications/atpubs/ATC/atc0303.html#atc0303.html.1

-the content of the previous post does not represent the opinions of the FAA or NATCA, and is my own personal opinion...

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 02:22:18 AM »
....there could have been a 30 degree crosswind coming from the right which switches to now come from the left....

Haa, well-ll-lll, THAT'S when you fly over and peer down through the windshield (which is now underneath you), to see how many other of the fire guys have made it back already, and landed in one piece.....     ::eek::

::loony::

THEN, you proceed in your most professional manner toward the runway, which you chose by throwing those fuzzy dice in the cockpit, and THEN you just do the only thing you CAN do --

Close your eyes, and Land.   

;D           :D             ::loony::
Don't make me come back there!!!!

Offline Oddball

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
  • I crash better than anybody I know
    • Myspace profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2009, 10:10:47 AM »
thought you lot did that any way  ::whistle::
"You can teach monkeys to fly better than that!"and "spring chicken to sh**e hawk in one easy lesson"