Author Topic: Sikorsky S-62  (Read 15474 times)

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
Re: Sikorsky S-62
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2008, 10:30:22 PM »
Haaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!

He gotcha THAT time, G-Man!!    ;D

:D
Don't make me come back there!!!!

Offline G-man

• Alpha Rooster
  • Cogito sumere potum alterum.
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2008, 10:42:26 PM »
Haaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!

He gotcha THAT time, G-Man!!    ;D

:D

Yep--I concede..

And on that note: A repeat:

Dear Miss Ann Landers,

I have just met a new woman in my life (we'll call her Wanda), and am trying to impress her as I think she may be the woman for me, however this may prove difficult and any advice you have would be truly appreciated. I am a 40 year old recovering alcoholic (although I am not doing too good right now), I have been married and divorced three times and have 5 children (two of them born out of wedlock). My sister is a prostitute in downtown San Francisco, and my brother is currently on death row in San Quentin for rape/murder. My father was killed in a drug deal that went bad and I have never met my mother who left when I was six months old to join a Kabutz in Israel. I just filed bankrupcy after yet another woman had my wages garnished for a child I supposedly fathered in the late 80's, have lost my trailerhome to the bank, and I currently live in a homeless shelter.

My question to you is---should I tell Her that I am a helicopter pilot?

Yours sincerely

G-man  ::whistle:: ::whistle::
Life may not be the party we hoped for---but while we're here--we might as well dance..........

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2008, 10:58:20 PM »
Man, that is WAY more true than it should be.....   ::loony::

I STILL have one sister who doesn't get what it is I do every summer.....   ::loony::

Of course, neither do I, come to think of it....    ::banghead::

::silly::
Don't make me come back there!!!!

airtac

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2008, 12:34:34 AM »
OH!            You actually DO something every summer?   Pardon the hell out of me but I thought you just flew a bunch of hillbilly adrenaline junkies around so they could go camping in remote areas---I mean, these people jump out anywhere---you don't even need to find an aerodrome........................

Offline gibbo_335

• Alpha Rooster
  • Flying the NT
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2008, 03:26:28 AM »
OH NO---and I thought you were the only one ::complaining: ::complaining:
Does this mean we got to put up with twice as many of ya???? ::loony::

Ya know Airtac--many years ago I thought about emigrating to Australia..

Problem was I didn't have a criminal record..  ::whistle:: ::whistle::they wouldn't let me in..  ::rofl:: ::rofl::

::whistle:: Ya know G-Man a few years ago we would have let you in if you could have stolen a loaf of bread...
YEWWWwwwwwwwww

Offline Oddball

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
  • I crash better than anybody I know
    • Myspace profile
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2008, 08:12:45 PM »
aye if you  where a brit you got free passage too  ;D ;)
"You can teach monkeys to fly better than that!"and "spring chicken to sh**e hawk in one easy lesson"

airtac

« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2008, 12:40:00 PM »
aye if you  where a brit you got free passage too  ;D ;)
Leave it to a Scotsman to find a free cruise :D

Offline Oddball

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
  • I crash better than anybody I know
    • Myspace profile
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2008, 04:45:45 PM »
Yep airtac I'm part Fifer part Aberdonian bad mix my wallet is sealed tighter than a chicken's you know what  ::rofl::
"You can teach monkeys to fly better than that!"and "spring chicken to sh**e hawk in one easy lesson"

Offline Panzerrat

• Cockerel
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2008, 07:38:30 AM »
Keeerist... I've drank with Aussies before.  This will not end well....
"You call this bad? I'll tell you what bad is....Bad is passing test depth at 80 feet per second with a thirty degree down bubble. Compared to that, this is a walk in the park.”

Offline Lt.Fubar

• Fledgling
  • Chasing the sunset
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2009, 06:32:38 PM »
I'm digging a ditch
Where madness lives
I'm digging a ditch
Where my silence lives

::whistle::

Sorry for digging out another old topic but...

We have 3 S62A's here in Australia...
::unbelieveable:: My jaw dropped into apartment bellow.

So that's where old helicopters go to die  :D

Although seriously, for me, the S-62 was is quite interesting one (by "interesting" I mean bizarre). The first and pretty much only big scale operator was the USCG, that bought them for replacement of the HO4S and... HUS-1G - which was the old and trusted (everywhere else) H-34/S-58 SeaHorse/Choctaw. Now, the Seahorse didn't get along with the Coast Guard very well, between 1959 and 1963 they bought 6 that were operating out of CGAS New Orleans, but lost half of them barely with any survivors. Even though Sikorsky at the time was experimenting with turbine powered S-58s, USCG went all out for HH-52s, and bought 99 of them. The thing is, the S-62 is pretty much an old S-55/H-19 Chickasaw that first flew in 1949 (!) with switched fuselage and a T58 turbine engine. Here lies the cause of the rather poor performance and painfully slow speed.

I'm amazed someone is still operating them  ::eek::

I'm not flying them, but that would be the last helicopter on my list for fighting fires. Mind you, the T58 in that thing is de-rated to 750 or so shp, you can actually get better performance with an Astar. TH-1F would be better suited for the job, if we want to stick to the single General Electric T58s  ;)
“I'm a leaf on a wind, watch how I soar.” Hoban 'Wash' Washburne