Author Topic: Strip pack??  (Read 5123 times)

Offline wAndAA

Strip pack??
« on: May 08, 2006, 02:58:08 PM »
OK, I'm having hard time viewing some (almost all) of the strips...sometimes the whole area just turns white and sometimes just the stip doesnt show up... so I'm asking someone to make a .zip or a .rar file with all the so far published strips?? I'm really new to ChickenWings and don't fly an airplane (my dad does though) but I fly RC planes instead....yet I find these HILARIOUS!! :D I got the first book on the weekend (there was a big RC happening here in Finland last weekend) and I'm almost done with the book at the moment.... will get it done this after noon... So if it is possible for someone (maybe easyest for Stef or Mike since they SHOULD?? have these on their computers or something?? I know like half (of the ones I've got to see) of the ones on this website are on the book (at least to the spot that I have read to) but still the colored pictures are VERY nice...

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
Re: Strip pack??
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2006, 06:20:01 PM »
First let me say "WELCOME to the forum!"
Be sure to tune in often, we have a lot of fun here.

About the "care package", I hope you understand that we can't just mail out files blindly over the internet to just anybody who wants them (unless you pay us of course) for obvious reasons. Besides, it's too much work, that's why we have the website.
For more of our strips try the Trade-a-Plane Magazine website (www.trade-a-plane.com) and click on "Chicken Wings" on the menu on the left.
See if that works.
Maybe I can have Stef help you with your web-browser as well...
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

Offline Stef

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
    • Chicken Wings
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2006, 09:34:37 PM »
Hi there! Welcome to the the forum!

Can you tell me which browser you're using? And maybe which screen resolution and internet connection too? I'm really an amateur at webdesign, so I know that the site doesn't look perfect in every browser. But white, blank spaces and not showing strips sound really bad!  :-[ Does anyone else here have any similar viewing problems?!  ???

Offline Gulfstream Driver

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2006, 10:47:28 PM »
I had some trouble the other day, but I just reset my router, and it fixed the problem.  Sometimes routers and gateways get "stuck" and need to be unplugged for about 30 seconds, then plugged back in.
Behind every great man, there is a woman rolling her eyes.  --Bruce Almighty

Offline wAndAA

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2006, 12:41:36 PM »
Hi there! Welcome to the the forum!

Can you tell me which browser you're using? And maybe which screen resolution and internet connection too? I'm really an amateur at webdesign, so I know that the site doesn't look perfect in every browser. But white, blank spaces and not showing strips sound really bad!  :-[ Does anyone else here have any similar viewing problems?!  ???

Thanks all for the welcomes :D but now to businnes...

I'm using the latest Mozilla Firefox browser, I got a wireless lan that sometimes screws up my internet but thats quite rare so shouldn't confuse that into this, I got a 2mb/512kb internet and I live in finland (no clue where the server is... and don't feel like pinging you because you probably don't like that...) Screen reso is...umm... let me check :P ....back 1024x768... I'm also running a Windows XP Professional (I think...) and SP2 with the latest updates...I'm gonna try now this site with explorer...might be better but dun like explorer  >:(

Edit: I found the problem... its on your end (or the transmission some how...) I tried with Opera before going into a little deeper trouble shooting and got it to show me an error message :D

"Connection closed by remote server

http://www.chickenwingscomics.com/archives/archives.php?strip_id=9"
so having a little hard time viewing them since I can't get them through the wires for some reason (probably some problem sending it or its getting lost somewhere... dunno...) but that "should" help you getting the site better.. I hope :D

and BTW... read the first book yesterday finally fully. and it was GREAT!! I especially liked the ones with the "chinese skywrter" and the "why did the chicken cross the road" those were hilarious! :D so big + on those... only - is that they ended too quick :P keep up the good work guys!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2006, 12:51:10 PM by wAndAA »

Offline Stef

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
    • Chicken Wings
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2006, 03:06:18 PM »
Hi wAndAA!

Hmm... I am sorry, but I can't seem to find the mistake. I have been playing around with browser settings in different browsers to recreate your problem, but didn't succeed. I've seen our website now from various browsers and computers from all around the world and never experienced a similar display problem as you described. I browsed through our server settings and the error log, but didn't find anything illuminative in there either.  :( And just because you get the message "Connection closed by remote server" doesn't mean that it's necessarily our mistake. Maybe the connection has just timed out?

I'm really sorry, but I can't invest more time on this, because after all I'm really an amateur at all this and am out of options to try... If you ever solve the mistery, please tell me though!!

I'm thinking about removing a certain iframe tag though in the near future. Maybe that can solve the problem... we'll see!

Anyway, I'm glad you enjoyed our book so much! If you're in Finland, do you read "Siivet"? Because there you can find a lot of strips as well that haven't been published in a book or on our website yet! ;)

Offline Ted_Stryker

• Chicken Farmer
  • Rooster
  • Never Forget 9/11/2001
    • Cyber Forensics
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2006, 09:46:23 PM »
Just an fyi about the error condition.  Data packets on the internet have an interval setting as part of the datapacket header which includes a factor called "Time To Live", or TTL.  Each trip through a router decrements the TTL until either the packet is responded to, or expires.  What could have been happening is the TTL expired due to some problem with a router or routers between the requesting client computer, and the server source.  Normally alternate routes are found to send through via the DNS server routing tables on the various Internet backbone hosts, but there may have been a temporary problem somewhere along the line.

Basically, in effect, it sounds like things "timed out" and since the source server didn't get a response, it's server (aka the "remote" server) discontinued it's request and you got that message.

Hope this clarifies the situation.  I'm sure it was a temporary glitch.  If it's persistent, I would check with your Internet Service Provider, and have them do a TraceRoute search to help isolate the bottleneck.  If they are on a fiber based network segment, they may also have to see about doing a TDR test for possible problems.  TDR = Time Domain Reflectivity, which basically tests the fiber optic cables for any defects that could cause problems.

We're going to have to come in pretty low!  It's just one of those things you have to do... when you land!  -- Ted Striker - Airplane!