Author Topic: Back in flight  (Read 4654 times)

Offline cotejy

• Rooster
Back in flight
« on: September 14, 2009, 02:48:08 PM »
4 years ago, I had a bad experience in flight and instead of going back immediately on the pilot seat, I stood on the ground. And fear of flying kept growing in my mind. I knew I had to go back sometime because there was still over 1000$ on my account deposit at the flying club. Last weekend, without any specific reasons, I decided to go back and called the flying club. An instructor and a 172 were available to check me.

It was a similar feeling than in my first solo flight. Terrifiing and marvelous. At first, I was sweating and shaking from everywhere but I remembered that an airplane fly better if you don't fight the controls. I relaxed, trimmed and let the machine think she is flying alone with just small corrections on the controls. After that, it was perfect.

The instructor simulate an engine failure and the procedure just came as I had done that all my life. I didn't had to think, everything came back. Slow flying, stalls recovery, steep turns, navigating my way back to the airport,... I was checked for all exercices except circuits.

Next weekend, circuits and then, I'm back as a pilot in command. What was I thinking, stoping flying for 4 years. When I'll be too old and they will refuse to renew my medical, I will regret those 4 years.

Offline The_Muppet

• Fledgling
    • wildlandphotos
Re: Back in flight
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 04:32:20 PM »
Awesome!  Congrats... 
It was a similar feeling than in my first solo flight. Terrifiing and marvelous.
Ah, yeah I remember that - good stuff.  These days I try to avoid terrifying altogether at the expense of some of the marvelous.

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 09:10:04 PM »
Good to see you're back in the saddle!

I know it's hard to get back in after you scare yourself. I know a few people who never went back. I scared myself big time when I first started out flying, but luckily my flight instructor MADE ME go back up there right away. I'll never forget that and I am thankful she did, cause I thought I was done with this flying-thing for good at the time.
I would have missed out on 7,000 great hours and lots of cool adventures!!
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 05:03:59 PM »
Congratulations! |:)\

Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline cotejy

• Rooster
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 12:06:24 PM »
Tanks guys!

Final check flight was done yesterday. It went well. My instructor was happy with what I've done and gave me 5/5 on everything. He said everything I done was perfectly secure. But I felt rusty. It was circuits with 60-70 degree crosswind. My approach were pretty good but I had problems with flaring. I usually end up at proper height and speed above runway tresshold but then, raise the nose too quickly, the airplane would go up, correction, down too fast, pull up ok, then the airplane just keep floating and floating when we were finnaly on the 3000 foot runway, we had to do a short field because there was not much left to takeoff. In 2 touch and go, I let the instructor do the takeoff because I was really not comfortable with the length of runway in front of us.

Anyway, as we all know, if the airplane is still usable after a landing, this should be considered a perfect landing ;)

It's been a while since my last 100$ hamburger. I think I'll prepare a small navigation and have one. With the fuel price these days, it might end up as a 300$ hamburger. Unless there is a hotdog stand at the end of the runway and I taxi to it I don't see how it can cost less than 100$ :D

Offline Fabo

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
  • If flying is a drug,then I am a first class addict
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2009, 11:19:21 PM »
cotejy, I have a scenario for you:
1. Get to the airport
2. Taxi to active, fly one pattern
3. Taxi in to the FBO on the other side of the airport
4. Eat burger
5. Taxi, pattern
6. Get back home

Should be $100ish :)
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."