Author Topic: Mike is that you?!  (Read 3519 times)

Offline 4X-NTY

• Rooster
  • Everythings is alright
Mike is that you?!
« on: August 25, 2009, 12:22:57 AM »
Just kidding,it is a AS350 (if i'm not mistaken),but it's not baby blue and baby poo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7fbiiJAlTs&feature=topvideos

A helicopter rescue,the pilot got some balls!
Nitay "Pitz" Ronen

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
Re: Mike is that you?!
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 03:10:36 AM »
Nice!

We were actually looking at this one on the news the other day during breakfast.
I don't wanna seem vain but we do this kind of thing all the time. I would prefer this landing over many others (I am sure The Muppet and G-Man will concur) because my tailrotor is WAY in the clear. I can see where my main rotor blades are, I just can't see my tail.
If it was one of us, I am sure you wouldn't see the aircraft trying to touch down 3 times, but he may have known he was on TV and got nervous....
Looks at the "Adventures of...." threads and check out some of the landing sites. You don't see the landing but ...well....

I'll try to post some footage of my lift-job in Vegas where I had a guy call out my distance to the building because the rotorblades got within only a few feet but I had to look straight down on the load. THAT was scary.

It does look cool on TV though, I gotta give you that!
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 03:55:51 AM »
HATS OFF to the COOL helicopter landings that all of you do........

Ages ago (the Pleistocene, maybe??), our favorite helitack pilot landed on a teeny, skinny knife ridge..  maybe 9000' elevation...  we were to hang out and look for a ghost smoke up there.  I'll never forget, he told us ALL to stay put, then HE got out, stepped back, opened the door on my side, and said "Don't step that way" in a quiet little voice.

There was one helluva dropoff, starting right at the heel of the skid, and one wrong step would have meant Curtains.  It was one of the coolest, craziest places we ever landed.  It was a great day!!

::bow::

Don't make me come back there!!!!

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009, 07:17:00 PM »
have I posted this one before?
It's me at the Hawkins repeater site with a B3. I think it was at 10,000ft and in front of me there is a 3000ft drop off.
Hightens you senses a little and makes you clinch to your seat cushion  ;)
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

Offline The_Muppet

• Fledgling
    • wildlandphotos
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2009, 07:44:13 PM »
I'll try to post some footage of my lift-job in Vegas where I had a guy call out my distance to the building because the rotorblades got within only a few feet but I had to look straight down on the load. THAT was scary.

It does look cool on TV though, I gotta give you that!
Ugh! I hate stuff like that!  ::sweat:: - I've been copilot before on a lift job directly under transmission lines - my job on that flight was to watch the power lines directly overhead (looking through the main rotor) and keep us from flying up into 'em (cause the pilot was looking straight down at the load).  I only had to stop the pilot from coming up a couple times but it was stressful duty! 

It's funny, when I watched that video I thought the same thing Mike thought, "What a wonderful place to put my tail!"

Offline G-man

• Alpha Rooster
  • Cogito sumere potum alterum.
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2009, 09:01:17 PM »
Gotta agree---least he had a nice spot for the tail... Sure beats some of these:

Life may not be the party we hoped for---but while we're here--we might as well dance..........