Author Topic: Freight Train vs Tornado  (Read 3149 times)

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
Freight Train vs Tornado
« on: July 04, 2009, 07:36:31 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShNjb4bak5g

I recommend sound on and in full screen

"Well I know what's right, I got just one life
In a world that keeps on pushin' me around
But I stand my ground, and I won't back down"
  -Johnny Cash "I won't back Down"

Offline Oddball

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
  • I crash better than anybody I know
    • Myspace profile
Re: Freight Train vs Tornado
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2009, 09:50:05 PM »
Holy sh*t  ::unbelieveable:: ::eek::
"You can teach monkeys to fly better than that!"and "spring chicken to sh**e hawk in one easy lesson"

Offline FlyboyGil

• Alpha Rooster
  • AW, CRAP!!!
    • MYSPACE!!!
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2009, 10:14:41 PM »
HOLY FLERTING SCHMIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  ::eek:: ::eek:: ::eek:: ::eek:: ::eek:: ::eek::
IF YOU CAN'T SAY ANYTHING NICE, YOU'RE PROBABLY AT THE ICE CAPADES

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2009, 02:24:43 AM »
 ::eek:: ::eek:: ::eek:: ::unbelieveable:: ::unbelieveable:: ::eek:: ::eek:: ::eek::
Woah!
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

Offline Rooster Cruiser

• Alpha Rooster
  • Retired Chicken Hauler
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2009, 07:13:38 AM »
Man that's awesome!!!   ::unbelieveable::  Just when you think its all over, the rest of the train comes crashing into the locomotive!   ::eek:: ::unbelieveable::

Moral of the story:  Never underestimate the power of wind.

RC
"Me 'n Earl was haulin' chickens / On a flatbed outta Wiggins..."

Wolf Creek Pass, by CW McCall

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009, 02:25:20 AM »
For reference,  the camera is part of their equiv. of a black box system.  It also records speed, throttle position and brake application and settings.   This train had multiple locos and when they do that the rear most loco faces aft, that is why you get a camera view.   The camera for the lead loco would also have any conversation from the crew, but I haven't found that one posted.  The video IS verified genuine.   

They had one tank car with some VERY nasty stuff in it that fortunately did not rupture.  Another one with nasty, but not quite so nasty, stuff did rupture, forcing the evacuation of the surrounding area.
"Well I know what's right, I got just one life
In a world that keeps on pushin' me around
But I stand my ground, and I won't back down"
  -Johnny Cash "I won't back Down"

Offline Rooster Cruiser

• Alpha Rooster
  • Retired Chicken Hauler
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2009, 02:33:07 AM »
Sent to me by a friend yesterday:

This happened in IL last year...

J anuary 7, 2008 ...The tornado started at 3:30 pm about 1.2 miles north of Poplar Grove in Boone county and ended at 3:48 pm about 3.2 miles north northeast of Harvard in McHenry county.

The first signs of damage were at Quail Trap road where trees were damaged and sections of roofing were removed from a shed. A large barn was destroyed and other buildings were severely damaged. Large trees were snapped or uprooted. The tornado reached its maximum intensity of EF3 at the northeast corner of Centerville road and Beaverton road. A two story farm house and garage were leveled and large trees were stripped of all branches. The tornado was about 100 yards wide through this area.

There was damage to trees, power lines, barns, and sheds. The tornado then crossed the Boone/McHenry county line as a weak EF0 tornado with just minor tree damage at this point. It crossed Hunter road and continued to track northeast across Ryan road as an EF0 and caused mainly minor tree damage. It crossed White Oaks road then it uprooted a hardwood tree and snapped off pine trees at their base along Maxon road. The tornado intensified as it moved toward the town of Lawrence where it produced the worst damage. Significant damage occurred in the town of Lawrence particularly at a house that had more than half of its roof ripped off and garage blown out.

The tornado then moved across the Chicago and Northwestern railroad where it blew 12 railroad freight cars off the track. The train was moving at the time the tornado hit it...so as the main engine stopped...the remaining cars on the track continued along it and slammed into the front part of the train. This caused a few more cars to derail...including one containing hazardous materials that caused the evacuation of the town of Lawrence .

As the tornado moved east of Lawrence it once again started to weaken with some tree damage and shingles off of a few houses on the northeast side of town. It then ran along Oak Grove road for a stretch where it produced EF1 damage with a hardwood tree snapped at its base and knocked over an old...weakly structured barn with estimated winds around 100 mph. It then headed across farm fields and headed for hwy 14 where it damaged a metal barn and sheared a few trees. As it crossed highway 14 it flipped a semi-trailer and injured the driver at a truck stop weigh station.

Yeah, it was real alright!

RC
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 02:35:56 AM by Rooster Cruiser »
"Me 'n Earl was haulin' chickens / On a flatbed outta Wiggins..."

Wolf Creek Pass, by CW McCall

Offline Oddball

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
  • I crash better than anybody I know
    • Myspace profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2009, 11:17:14 AM »
When I saw that tanker heading for the locco all I thought was time to kiss your arse goodbye lol
"You can teach monkeys to fly better than that!"and "spring chicken to sh**e hawk in one easy lesson"